Monday, October 22, 2018

A First at the Last


A package arrived in the mail a few weeks ago.  It was carefully taped and stuffed with miles of bubble wrap.


It began its journey on the American west coast and traveled over 2,500 miles safely to me in Tennessee.  


My good friend Becky shares a wealth of information about cooking, sewing, and thrifty living on her website Becky at Home There she showed how she canned fresh tuna bought from local fishermen on the docks.  When she learned I had never eaten freshly canned tuna fish, she sent me a care package.  It held two cans of tuna fish she had canned herself, a jar of her famous homemade plum sauce and pickled zucchini.  Becky had a bumper crop of zucchini's this past summer and was drowning in squash so she tried pickling it.  My family had never tasted any of these foods and we were ecstatic when we opened the box.


No one was allowed to open any of the jars early because they were to be eaten at a special taste-testing event.  We chose Dustin's last meal before he left for his new job in Iowa.  He needed something new for his last homecooked meal.


Becky sent instructions to barbecue chicken breasts then use the plum sauce as a dip.  I did that and also marinated two breasts in the plum sauce.  All were baked in the oven together in one dish.  Those that were barbecued won the taste-test contest hands down.  My carnivores could not get enough.


The squash pickles were a big surprise.  Never have I considered using zucchini or other squash to make pickles.  It just didn't sound right but when I took a bite, I was impressed. They were great. I will definitely be making these next year.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the tuna fish jar.  It did not taste like the fish I have always bought at the grocery stores here in Tennessee.  The flavor was astonishing.  Compared to Becky's tuna, storebought brands taste like cardboard.  If only I lived near an ocean.


What was the opinion of my guys?  They were all thrilled!


Not one bite was allowed to be wasted.  Scooter was asked to clean out the tiny bits of tuna left in the bottom of the jar.  It's always his job to wash the dishes.  Everyone has chores.  He licked it clean and begged for more.  


Since I had done all of the cooking, my guys kindly cleaned the kitchen while I propped my feet up in the living room.  Just as I was getting comfortable, I heard Scooter whining and complaining. Something was wrong.  When I returned to the kitchen, I discovered why he was distraught.  Dustin was LICKING the casserole bowl.  That was Scooter's responsibility!

"Mom!" said Scooter.  "Make Dustin behave."

"It's too good.  I must get every bite."
"There is nothing left for me!"
I apologized to Scooter for Dustin's bad manners and explained he is leaving tomorrow.  He will be gone a long time and must eat his own cooking.  Bless his heart.  When Scooter heard that, he immediately forgave Dustin then generously offered him his bowl of dog food saying, "It tastes better than your cooking."

Additional Links
Scooter, Pictures, Pictures and More Pictures

8 comments:

  1. Such an opulent meal! And what a suitable occasion. Becky is a very talented lady. I admire her as she has so many skills and she is so busy. (I had a look at her web side.)
    I wish Dustin a safe journey and a good start at his new job.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christel. Dustin is packing up the car right now and I am sending him all the food I can stuff inside. There may not be enough room for him to drive and his bumper might drag the ground.

      Delete
  2. Jeannie,
    I am so glad you and your family enjoyed the canning. (Especially the zucchini pickles--see guys--I can get people to take that extra zucchini one way or another!!!)

    I know you are going to miss your son, and I'm glad I could have a small part of his special going-away dinner. I'll bet he's both excited and a little scared to be off to his new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now he is exhausted from making a million trips up and down the steps from his room upstairs to his car in the basement garage. (He has young legs and can handle it.) He has been sorting, packing and stuffing things in his car all day long. I keep walking by slipping food into any empty spot I see.

      We really appreciated the food. It was so kind of you to share and made the evening memorable. It was all so delicious! I know gardening, canning and preserving food is hard work, but it is worth it when winter arrives. It is even better when someone else does all the work then gives me the food!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Yum, zucchini pickles! My aunt used to make those. That tuna sounds mighty good, too!
    Your dish-licking boys are so silly. And Scooter is so unselfish! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never have I thought of making pickles out of zucchinis. Surely I have seen the recipe in a book somewhere but I must have just overlooked it as something too odd. Never again. I am getting Becky's recipe and planting zucchinis next year.

      The truth is that Dustin will lick bowls because he knows it irritates me, really irritates me. He waits until he has my attention then begins to lick his plate. I fuss at him until he stops, then he laughs. I don't see what is so funny.

      Delete
  4. How kind of Becky. She stays so busy, and cares for so many. A definite sweetheart. Hoping your husband has excellent results from the stem cells. Wishing safe travels for Dustin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful to add long distance kindness to the farewell menu.

    ReplyDelete