Monday, March 18, 2019

Secret Sinkholes


We have not one, but two secret sinkholes on our property.  It's not polite manners to brag, but I can't stop myself.  Most unenlightened people would say they are worthless pieces of land but not me - I like mine.  Sinkholes are formed by water eroding underground rocks causing holes and caves.  They are common in this area of Tennessee and I love sharing my love of rocks.  

This one is on an elevated area in the field and is surrounded by a clump of trees.  


Amongst the trees, it's possible to see where drainage has formed a round, deep basin.  


The second secret sinkhole is located in the woods behind the house.  Water flows downhill where it quickly disappears.  Bill says it's technically not a sinkhole but just an unimpressive low area.  We named it "the sinkhole" and so that is what it is.


This is the view standing inside the woods beside the sinkhole looking toward the garden and the back of the house.


Yesterday it looked barren and empty but that's only because water from the recent rains have drained away.


A day after last weeks big storm and my trip to the Amish in the rain, it was full of water.




In wintertime, it's beautiful when frozen.



The surface freezes but because it is a sinkhole, the water underneath continues to drain.  It leaves a layer of ice on top which cracks as it thaws forming interesting patterns. The land truly isn't good for much, but I enjoy watching it change.



My secret places are not secret to our new roommates.  They enjoy the water and can be heard sloshing around when we are working in the garden. Walking on the inside of the fence creates interest.  Do I have any treats?  If not, forget me.


As I returned from my muddy walk in the woods, an indignant Scooter caught me and asked, "How did you get over this tall fence without me?  Did you slip through the gate again without my permission?"


"No one is allowed on a thrilling adventure without me.  I may be putting a collar and leash on you, Mom, if you don't learn to behave!"


Additional Links:

Rocks in Tennessee

Amish, A Trip in the Rain

Introducing Our New Roommates




14 comments:

  1. Fascinating as always! And your roommates are gorgeous (as is Scooter -- can't forget him!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun post - in a scary kind of way - I mean that's a lot of water! Do you worry that the holes will swallow the house? Scooter - too cute - love those short legs, I have a short leg dog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask that question. I don't worry about the holes swallowing up the house but it has crossed my mind. Whenever I read news stories about sinkholes suddenly opening up, it makes me pause and think. The first one pictured above is quite deep down inside. None of us have ever walked across the bottom but instead stay up along the edges on rocks. It's the reason Scooter was left on the other side of the fence. Perhaps I am being overly cautious but it does make me nervous.

      Delete
  3. Scooter is sweet. This post is fascinating. I don't know much about sinkholes, but I remember them being an issue in Florida near my parents' winter place. I'm glad they're actually an asset for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose they wouldn't be considered an asset if we sold the house; but, "one man's trash is another's man's treasure."

      Delete
  4. We have a lot of low-lying areas where water collects here, but I've never seen a sinkhole, that I know of. I agree with everyone who thinks sinkholes sound kind of scary! I, too only think of news stories were part of roads sink down, cracks appear, and so on! But, yours look interesting and far away enough from your house to just enjoy when you are out on a walk. Spring has arrived here. After unseasonable snow, now we've broken records for high temperatures--one day it was 77 degrees here! The daffodils have burst into bloom, and it feels like they did that overnight, even though it did take longer.

    I finally got a few items planted in the greenhouse. I hope they grow quickly now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to you and other's makes me realize how I am not really bothered by them. I respect them, realize the dangers, take no chances, but am not afraid. I suppose I feel the same way about tornadoes, I know they are dangerous, yet I still open the door and watch the storms as they churn. I know when it is time to bolt the door and run to the basement.

      I, too, planted a few things in my laundry room, not my greenhouse (which I don't have). As soon as it is warmer at night, they will be moving outside to the hot front porch. It is exciting to finally feel like spring is really coming. Nothing cheers me up like putting seeds in dirt.

      Delete
  5. We have that problem here in Florida and they have all kinds of ways to address it. But I'm glad you're not worried about it too much. There's always things happening to the land and we can't control it. Well....I mentioned you on my blog this morning! You'll have to rush over and get in on the song fest! heeheehee! Have I got your interest now? Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I had to rush over and see what was said about me. As always, I was quoted when I was being silly. I do recommend everyone jump over and check out a great blog "Lavender Dreamer." Ignore anything stupid I have posted in the comment section.

      https://lavenderdreamstoo.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-loggerhead-shrike.html

      Delete
  6. This sinkhole seems to be a sort of mystical location to me.
    Ideal place for frogs and nixies.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know of sinkhole here where you don't dare go near when it rains...it is fairly big and the water rushes down it like a whirlpool...my boss told me about it warning me not to get too close to it. Then I also knew of one in Tennessee...the opening was about 3 feet in diameter and if you fell in there would be no getting out easily cause it was deeper than I was tall...and like a small room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the whirlpool would make me nervous and I would stay far away. There is no telling how big the caves are under the ground. My house could be sitting on top of another Mammoth Cave but I don't care as long as it doesn't fall in. I prefer the sunshine and have no interest in exploring down under.

      Delete
  8. i have just found your blog and read about your up hill water.here in wi we have two rivers that for awhile run side by side one goes north and the other south no one has a answer to this not even google.why?.........nancy.btw willbe reading your blog all the time now really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two rivers going in opposite directions would drive me crazy. At least now I know my neighborhood isn't the only part of planet earth that isn't rational. Wait a minute..."Mother Earth", she is a female, that explains it all!

      Delete