Tuesday, April 30, 2019

April's Garden (2019)


This is the month when we begin working frantically to get the garden planted.  April 15th is my last average frost date so I like to wait until after that time to begin planting.  This area has been chosen for this year's winter hoop houses. Choosing the spot early saves so much work later.  Some of these plants will continue to grow through the winter, most will be harvested during summer and then others will be put into their empty spots.  Since these seedlings can withstand cool weather, they were planted first.


Since I HATE to weed, we use grass clippings for mulch.  In past years, Bill would need to mow some of the pasture to get enough to cover every bare spot in the spring garden.  Since the horses have stripped the fields, I asked their breeder if he would bring us some old hay that had not been sprayed with chemicals.  He was happy to give us a bale. 


The round hay bales don't look very heavy but it was a shock when I began unrolling it.  I had read that they can weigh 1,000 to 2,000 pounds depending on how tightly they are rolled - that's true.  The grass is packed in solid like a rock.  I thought I could push it around the yard but that thing won't move.


Sitting beside the winter hoop house rows is the spot that held last year's tomatoes.  The fence remained up all winter because fava beans were planted beside it for support in the fall.  In early spring, I stuck some peas into the empty spots between the beans, but the rabbits found all but two of them.  Lettuce is happily growing on the other side.


The fava beans made it through the winter fine without any covering.  They continue to blossom and any day now I will be picking fresh beans.


Behind the fava bean fence in the direction of the woods, will be the weird plot.  It will hold all the odds 'n ends that don't fit into any category - like Erba Stella Minutina or Salt Wort or...

 

Rat-tail radish, Shungiku Chrysanthemum, or lemongrass.  Many more oddities are waiting to be planted.  I do like trying weird things.


In the center of the garden sits the once prolific strawberry/watermelon bed which now holds assorted varieties of Swiss Chard.  Perhaps this will be another winter garden, but I am undecided at present.  Last fall I tossed out some Bread Seed Poppy seeds and now they are blooming between the chards.



The back half of the row has a few strawberry plants, Egyptian Walking onions, and Harris Model parsnips which will be allowed to go to seed.


Nothing yet has been done to the furthermost area by the pasture.  My tentative plan is to put sweet potatoes to the far left so if (when) the horses reach over the fence, they will only eat the leaves and not harm the potatoes underground.  Next will be tomatoes to the right of the potatoes and that's about as far as my plan goes.

This is the remainder of the two winter hoop houses and it is still producing quite a bit of food underneath the weeds - lettuce, chard, carrots, kale and a few onions.  Mostly it's producing weeds.


This morning I harvested: Bionda di Lyon Swiss Chard, Cosmic Purple carrots, red onions...


and also, Freckled Romain lettuce.  


It looks like a weedy mess, well, it really is a mess, but it's full of bolting plants of which I am saving the seeds.  In about two weeks, everything will be finished and it will be plowed under.  


No matter how many years I garden, there are always surprises. This was the first time I have grown or tasted Giant Prague Celeriac.  It not only survived the winter weather but is beginning to bloom.  These seeds will definitely be saved.


The other surprise was Frisee Endive.  It was a short, small plant and look how tall it has bolted! It will probably get taller since there still aren't any flowers blooming yet.


The back of the garden in front of the woods in the shady, dry area is the assorted unknowns.  They have grown large enough to harvest so I am clearing (eating) walking paths. The fast-growing varieties are picked first which leaves room for others to grow.  Every seedling looks the same when it first sprouts so it is still too early to tell them apart.  Since I have been saving these mixed seeds for years, I might not recognize most of them.  At least I do remember they are all edible.


"It isn't gossip if it is true."  declared Scooter.  "Mom has been horrible to me. She threw away my large carpet, said it was worn out, then gave me this cramped, 'easily washable' rug on which to sit while guarding the house.  If that snub wasn't enough, now I am surrounded by seedlings, tomato plants, and boxes of drying seed pods!  The world needs to know this treatment is unacceptable!"

16 comments:

  1. Looking good! You are so organized, and your garden is progressing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been much better than past years. The weather is finally cooperating so I can get things done but I know better than to expect my good luck to continue. The weather cannot be trusted.

      Delete
    2. AMAZING! I am drooling at the sight of your garden, both because I would love to have a garden like that, and also because the veggies sound sooooooo yummy! You guys must eat like kings and Queens!

      Delete
    3. Have you started your patio garden yet? I wan't sure since you are so much further north than I. There are a few seeds I want to mail to you when you are ready.

      Delete
    4. Gah! I just wrote a nice long comment and then the internet ate it. Anyway, what I was saying was...you're so sweet! Indeed, I have started my balcony garden! Just planted radish seeds a few weeks ago, to see if they would survive the cold weather, and also planted some re-re-re-grown storebought green onions. Everything is growing, so now time to start the rest of the garden! Today I planted a bunch of leaves from my decade old Christmas cactus. Assuming it all works out, I should have 6 new cacti at the end of the summer. I'm trying to plant flowers in addition to food this year. But we'll see what manages to survive Mr. Squirrel! I love reading about your gardening adventures!

      Delete
    5. I just came into the house from working in the garden all day. Rain is moving in so I wanted to get as much done as possible. There is still much more to get planted. Looking at the pictures above, I am surprised how much it has grown in two weeks! Even with us eating all we want, it is growing so fast. Plant edible flowers and get the best of both worlds.

      Delete
  2. I love your garden posts! And I had never thought about using plastic spoons for markers—I am absolutely going to do this! I have been using pop sickle sticks, and try and reuse them but the wood always rots in the dirt so I do not have much success with reusing. In my tiny Chattanooga garden, I have a small bed of raspberries that I was able to dig up from a friends house for free. They were taking over her yard. I hope they take over their new bed at my house!!! They even have tiny berries on them! I have also just planted my tomatoes that I started from seed. The plants don’t look like much yet, but I am hoping they settle in and start taking off soon! Just planted some Christmas Lima’s yesterday. They are in a section not fenced with bunny fence however, so now the race is on to get a bunny fence around them before they sprout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the cute little bunnies jumping and hopping in the yard. We've got a few of them also. All you need is one to wreak havoc! My Christmas Lima's are not planted yet. We still need to plow the area and put up the arch supports. That's a BIG chore. I love fresh lima beans, dried, frozen or canned aren't the same.

      I have used plastic spoons for years. It was somebody else's idea that I stole - steal the idea from me also! Sharpie black markers work the best on them but they still fade before the season is over. You will need to reapply the information halfway through the season. Fingernail polish is good to remove the markings when you want to reuse them...if you are as cheap as I am.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for joining 'Through the Garden Gate' this month. It is so interesting to see what can be grown in other countries such as watermelon beds! That looks a huge amount of hay! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation. I enjoyed visiting the other links and seeing people's gardens from around the world. Each one is so different. A link will be added to my page so others can also visit your site and take a trip around the world while sitting in their own chair.

      Delete
  4. Your April garden still offers a tempting variety of vegetables, that is remarkable.
    It is a good idea to cover the garden beds with hay. Not only to avoid weed growth, but it also
    helps to keep the soil moist with a crumbly texture during summer.
    What will you do with the Purple Carrots ? Will they be cooked or are you using them raw for salads?
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a different flavor from the Danvers Half Long carrots that I usually grow. The purple ones are milder and are less flavorful. They are good but I don't think I will bother growing them again. I am going to grate them and make a carrot, raisin, and mayonnaise salad. It is something I have been craving and can't seem to stop eating.

      The hay is working great. It has saved Bill quite a bit of work mowing and yesterday we discussed that we should have done this years ago. Cattle farms around us advertise hay for sale in good years; however, the price skyrockets if it has been a drought. Getting it home would have required us owning a truck. The horse breeder who brought us this bale lives close by and carried it on his tractor. Passing tractors and farm equipment going slow on the highways is a common sight around here.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have lot of plans/lot going on....it is going to be fun to watch the progression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think watching will be much more enjoyable than actually doing the backbreaking work! Knowing someone is looking over my shoulder might make me do a better job (probably not!). I reserve the right to give up and collapse on the couch.

      Delete
  6. Poor Scooter. Your garden is doing wonderful. All I have planted so far is Kale that reseeds itself and peas. It is too cold still to plant anything else. I have lots of plants growing in my mini greenhouse for when the ground and temps are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came in from walking through my garden. Last night we got a good soaking rain and this morning it seems everything has grown an inch. Being ready for when the weather finally warms will make a big difference in how well your plants do. A greenhouse saves so much money over buying all the seedlings from a nursery.

      Delete