Wednesday, October 14, 2020

A Lost Turtle

I consider my yard to be mine without realizing it is also home to many other creatures who also claim its ownership.   Earlier this year, we moved the compost pile to the back corner of the garden and put railroad ties around it. There is a permanent tunnel under the fence in this spot leading into the woods and no matter how many rocks or buckets of dirt are dumped, the gap reappears.  The railroad ties seem to have stopped the tunnel digging...for now.  


A big, dangerous snapping turtle showed up confused by the mountain now blocking his normal route into the woods.  He looks like the one which climbed our front yard fence but I'm not sure - they all look the same to me. What a face!


I cleaned out a lower part of the fence row to give him a new path for which he expressed no gratitude. He promptly disappeared. He either wandered under the daylilies or became perfectly camouflaged on the rock but he was gone in seconds. 


Wonder where he will appear next?

6 comments:

  1. Though I've seen snapping turtles around here, so far we've only seen the "kinder" ones on our land. You were kind to make a path for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are not the most handsome creature...

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, these turtles are really not handsome. Suitable for a creepy film.
    When there is a garden, turtles are quite popular domestic animals in Germany, especially
    for children. But it is strictly forbidden to sell or buy snapping turtles because their
    bite is cruel. I wish your turtle would go far away.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he would go away too! It makes we worry about sticking my hand into a thick bunch of weeds.

      Delete