Monday, November 29, 2021

November's Garden (2021)

 

I have fourteen. 

Fourteen hoop houses. Last year I had ten. I don't know how that happened. Every time I heard a news report about the price of food rising, I planted a few more seeds. 

 
I ran out of row cover fabric and began stitching old pieces together but it wasn't enough. With freezing weather fast approaching, I purchased two of these covers from Amazon. 


The original plan was to cut them in half and cover four hoop houses individually. But instead, I left them whole after seeing how thin they are. 


We didn't even trim the length of the second cover, just rolled it under on the end because they were beginning to rip. It is doubtful if they will last more than one year.


They also hold moisture underneath and on the top which I fear may cause disease. The other houses dry quickly.  It may work out fine but as of now, I am not recommending this product.


As for the plants, the garden is a sea of green.  


It looks like too much food but winter gardens are much different than summer gardens.  They do all of their growing in the fall, and then go dormant through the winter.  


The horse manure has made a big difference in the health of everything so they are larger than ever.


The radishes under the fence row that were planted between the corn roots are getting quite large. A few winter celtuce were also squeezed in the few bare spots. They were from saved seeds from Green Mountain Winter Celtuce plants that made it through my winter a few years ago. They were always out in the open so this row won't be covered. The radishes won't make it to the end of winter no matter what I do.



Every year I purchase something new in addition to saved seeds. The new Pusa Guiabi Radish is going to be a keeper. The leaves are better than other varieties, more leaf, less stem, and could be used in fresh salads when small.


This row needed harvesting because what I thought were Sui Choy Napa Cabbages began bolting. Either the seed company or I got them swapped. They are in the middle of this row and are so tall the leaves are pushing up on the roof of the hoop house. They have started overshadowing the Golden Beauty Chinese Cabbages on the edges. Both varieties are new to me. 


Whatever the new plants are, we liked their flavor anyway (stirfried with onion, butternut squash, and leftover Thanksgiving turkey). Two were harvested and this is the big gap left in the row.  The mixup doesn't bother me - it just adds to the excitement of trying new things.


The Golden Beauty Cabbage looks exactly like the picture in the seed catalog so no problems there. None have been picked yet.


This is the row shown last month when I harvested the mature Tokinashi and Hida Beni Japanese turnips to make room for the Thousand Head Kale. The smaller turnip seedlings were left to continue growing but some began splitting. I don't know if they are winter hardy so all were harvested.  


Thousand Head Kale is supposed to get massive. The plan was to harvest the turnips so the kale could slowly grow over the winter and when it warms in the spring, remove the covers and let them expand.  However, they look spindly.  This bed did not receive much manure last year because perennial onions were in this spot. The soil is still like a rock which is how my whole garden used to be.  Manure will be spread under the mulch this winter and hopefully, it will make a difference before spring.


This is the bed I was excited about last month because it has assorted broccoli with Landis Winter Lettuce underneath.  The middle section has only lettuce and the back has Cascade Glaze Collards.  The broccoli leaves have grown so thick that the lettuce underneath is in the shade.  Some of the leaves have been harvested, (boiled in beef broth and the stems shredded into broccoli coleslaw) and in the process, something horrible was revealed.


A massive fire ant colony has built a huge mound and it is covering the lettuce.  I didn't even know it was there until I removed some of the broccoli leaves.  It is frustrating to constantly fight them. My experiments using different nontoxic home remedies are continuing.


The garden and I are ready for winter. All that is needed is to raise the edge of one cover, harvest enough for a few days, and then return to the warm house.  It has been worth all the work. Now I can rest for a while.  When I look out of the window after hearing the worsening news reports, I feel much safer. We have plenty of food growing.


20 comments:

  1. LOVE your garden columns. It seems amazing to me that you've got this much green stuff growing, when I look out at my mom's barnyard and see white. (Ok, the field she leases is full of green alfalfa, but I don't think that tastes good in a stirfry.) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I had to search for alfalfa in stir fry and managed to find a few recipes. It was for sprouts, not the full-grown plant but Cindy, give it a try. Do let me know the results...you go first!

      Delete
    2. I'm surprised that you are trying to get someone else go first. Usually we are the guinea pigs...

      Delete
    3. Reese, when you get home I have a surprise for you. Stir fried alfalfa! You will love it. My friend Cindy recommended it. Said it was a real cost saving meal, full of healthy greens. If you don't like it, toss it over the fence and the horses will love the leftovers.
      Love you,
      Mom

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful fall/winter garden! Fresh greens are so good for health, and it looks like you have plenty to get you through. The golden cabbage are new to me. I'll be interested to hear if they taste any different. Dang fire ants! I hope you find something that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied the biochar to one bed and it seemed to work. They have left that spot alone, but dang! It is expensive! I figured it would cost at least a few hundred dollars to treat my garden. I have one handful of biochar left and will be using it today on the other bed where I am experimenting.

      The seed catalog said the golden cabbage has a buttery flavor which convinced me to buy a package. I am so gullible when it comes to buying new seeds. My plan is to take pictures when I cut the first one open to see if the golden color is all the way through.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks beautiful, and you are certainly a very hard worker! I wish I lived closer to you and you could teach me how to grow a Winter garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you lived closer also. I could use some help weeding!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely not! You know your brothers don't know a weed from a seedling and are not allowed in the garden without adult supervision! The only garden chore they can do is taking the kitchen scraps out and dumping them in the compost pile.

      Delete
    3. And even that gets iffy when there's one compost pile for egg shells and another for the rest of the stuff. And then we change the compost dump location every couple years. Can't keep it straight! :)

      Delete
    4. And it has changed once again. Now I am putting everything in the compost pile beside the field fence. It is piled high enough that the horses can reach over and help themselves. They love it. I figure it is the least I can do since they donate their manure to the garden.

      Delete
  4. Fun! Your plants look so healthy and delicious! I'll be over for dinner tomorrow. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about lunch and dinner? Do take lots of leftovers home. I was planning on feeding Dustin all winter, he has a hollow leg and is always hungry, but he has accepted a job in Chattanooga and will be moving away next week. I have plenty to share.

      Delete
  5. Your garden is full of healthy plants! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margie. It was the trailer loads of horse manure that made the difference. I have asked for more this year and hopefully I can get it. Shoveling it is the hard part.

      Delete
  6. Wow those plants look huge and are growing so well you certainly know how to grow them! We have found the fleece you can buy is not as good as it used to be. Thanks again for sharing your amazing garden with us! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explains what has happened. The other was purchased in a huge roll years ago and has taken a beating from the weather. It has been repeatedly used. Nothing we buy is as good as it used to be plus it is getting smaller and the price continues to rise.

      Delete
  7. Hey Jeannie, Phyllis (YaYa) here. I just had to let you know that I finally found a really good organic CSA. The thing they have that made me think of you is their hoop houses. The only difference is their hoop houses are the size of QUONSET HUTS!! Amazing!! Thanks for the fun reading on all you've learned and are learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding a good organic CSA in Tennessee is rare. We have horrible bugs whose eggs aren't frozen by deep freezes like farms up north. An example is squash vine borers: we have two life cycles where people up north only have one so they can time their harvests. Fighting them organically is expensive!

      Next time I see you, (which I hope is soon. I need a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. Dustin moved out Friday night and it was the first day of Kindergarten allover again. As many times as they have all moved in and out I should be used to it by now...right?) Anyway, I want to hear about the quonset huts. Bending over is getting to us and I am needing to buy more supplies for hoop houses next year. The row covers I got from Amazon are not holding up.

      Delete