Sunday, July 31, 2022

July's Garden (2022)


Last month I was concerned because there had been no rain.  July began with three inches falling during one night.  It didn't cause the creeks to rise because it soaked into the ground.  My garden sprang back to life.

Then the transmission went out on our car while we were fifty miles from home.  We almost didn't make it back.  In the country, there are no taxi cabs or cell service which makes for a stressful trip home in first gear. We discovered our car's transmission was only manufactured for one year so replacement parts don't exist.  The mechanic was able to find a used one in a junkyard in another city.  Since Bill works from home we are a one-car family which hasn't been a problem until now.  We sat at home for three weeks. I bartered tomatoes for rides to the auto shop. 

Remember how excited I was about the Dino Melon planted in the front corner of the garden? The seeds came from a pricey melon purchased at the grocery store during winter and there was almost no information about it on the internet.  It was something new and unusual.

It grew aggressively spreading under the Early Rouge tomatoes and attempting to cover them.  I dreamed of a bounty of exotic new melons. I would be the first to grow them in my neighborhood and could brag. Everybody would be jealous.

There were two melon plants side by side labeled "Dino". One had unusual lobed-shaped leaves and the other had regular melon leaves.  It was a mystery that deepened daily as both plants grew. Only time solved the puzzle.



While pulling the vines back so the tomatoes could get sunshine the whodunit was solved.  A roving bird dropped a bitter melon seed that germinated and then choked out the Dino Melon seedling.  Bitter melons have sprung up like weeds all over my garden this year and are aggressive spreaders. They are only allowed to live in the bitter melon patch in the back corner.  After hunting for the root, the stem above it was snipped. 


A few days later, the vines wilted, died and unseen hidden ripe tomatoes became visible.  I had no idea there were so many. The failure of the "weave method" of supporting plants by weaving twine into a grid also became evident.  Everything had collapsed under the weight into a heap which made searching for the tomatoes difficult.


There was a basketful of the Early Rouge tomatoes plus a real Dino Melon from the second plant was discovered beneath the leaves. 


The rest of the melons in the row haven't missed the bitter melon.  Instead, all have taken advantage of the open space and have even spread into the lawn.  Cardboard has been slid underneath so harvesting won't be as hard as it was with the tomatoes.  Eventually, I do learn from my mistakes.


Behind the tomatoes is the row with watermelons on one side and beans on the other.  The plan was to have the watermelon spread under the beans but they are a new variety (lost the name tag under the mountain of leaves) and are taller and thicker than expected. The melons have become lost in the undergrowth.


Luckily, I discovered the first one before it rotted and then trimmed the bean leaves back to find a second. The plan would have worked better if I had planted smaller beans.  


The first row in the garden beside the yard is working well.  


The Super Beefsteak tomatoes only grow about five feet tall leaving space for sunlight to reach underneath. The Slenderette green beans are beside them and assorted winter (vine borer resistant) squash are filling in the empty spots and pushing against the fence.  


The squash are also trying to spread in the other direction into the path but are being shoved under the tomatoes to make the various peas accessible for picking.


The third row over has the Orange Icicle Tomatoes which have given me so much trouble with blossom end rot. I have resolved but not solved the problem.  



Blossom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency.  Below is one week's damaged tomatoes even though the soil has been heavily amended with decomposed egg shells, calcium nitrate, compost, fertilizer, and they have always had plenty of water.


They are heavy producers and need a tremendous amount of nutrients. My solution has been to start giving them two teaspoons of 13-13-13 fertilizer and a half teaspoon of calcium nitrate every month. That would burn any other tomato plant but the Orange Icicles gobble it up. If they don't get it, they drop their fruit. 


Last month I declared that if they don't produce at least twice what the others have, they won't be planted again. Well, they have done just that. Even though they lose so much due to damage, they still outperform any others in my garden. My solution is to stop complaining and feed the hungry teenagers. When fertilizer is no longer available to buy, I will stop growing these but until then, I will be grateful for the massive amount they produce.


Now for two new tomato varieties that won't be grown again, Gilbertie and Jersey Devil.  Both are giant romas and look exactly alike. Gilbertie appears impressive covered in fruit but they have taken forever to ripen. Only a few have been harvested even though they were started inside and transplanted in the early spring. 


Jersey Devil's vines have grown huge and have fallen back over the carrots forming an arch.  Their soil was amended in the springtime exactly like Orange Icicle and they haven't received any more fertilizer. It's all vine and no tomatoes.  A few of the vines will be snipped above the roots (like what was done to the wayward bitter melon plant) to open up more space for the others.


If the garden was larger they might be planted again but real estate is valuable. They consume too much space and produce too slowly.


Another tomato that will not be grown again is the Purple Russian.  Three have died, and only one survived but it isn't clear why.  


The vines at the base turned black then the leaves wilted and died. Regardless, they are an ugly color, a deep purplish green that appears as if it has turned bad. They look rotten but do taste pleasant with a sweet fruity flavor. If you don't mind eating with your eyes closed, and losing 75% of your crop these would be great.


Up against the corral fence beside the field is my newest favorite tomato, Hungarian Heart.  It has exceeded all expectations. The vines are empty at the moment because they are picked immediately and used.


It was the second to ripen in the spring even though it grows huge fruit. They are mostly meat with few seeds and no hard core.  The skin is thin and easy to chew plus they have a mild flavor.  When sliced and dehydrated there isn't a tart, bitter aftertaste.  A strong support is necessary because the vines become heavy-laden. Bill is happy because they are round and red.


The okra is finally tall enough to be distinguished from the shelly beans below.  I am getting a handful every few days and am dehydrating them until there is enough to cook for a meal.


A single victory on the back squash row. The squash vine borer trap caught one bug...after she laid eggs on all the zucchini and yellow squash. She picked out which varieties were vulnerable.  Funny how a bug knows those things.  More seeds have been planted and home remedies are still being tried. 


The Python Snake Bean that I love and wanted to plant a garden full of this year kept vanishing without a trace after the seeds sprouted.  Covering it with a wire cage has stopped the disappearing act. Hopefully, it isn't too late to get a harvest this year.


Another new vegetable this year is the winter wax melon.  They are supposed to grow long vines, have massive fruit, and be able to store through the winter.  The first seed was planted in the spring, nothing happened so two more were shoved in the ground.  Finally, the first one sprouted and just recently the second two have come up.  It isn't off to a good start in my opinion.


The wires used for the hoop houses have been attached to the tomato support fences to create an arch over the paths for Lima beans.


The lower vines are being trained to go across the bottom of the fence underneath the tomatoes but above the sweet potato vines in the ground.  What could possibly go wrong with this idea???? If there is empty ground or a spot of sunshine anywhere, it needs to be filled.


The winter squash plants in the plot beside the field that are not susceptible to squash vine borers have made it to the fence. Soon they will cover it and take over the yard.


To deal with the stress of so much produce staring me in the face and stumbling over tomatoes on the kitchen floor, I have enacted "out of sight, out of mind." 


After harvesting the garden during the early morning hours, I sit on a stool on the kitchen floor and organize the vegetables into boxes.  All are checked for ripeness and then plans are made to handle whatever is the most urgent. 


Blocking Scooter's food and water bowls has been the only problem.  If he can't reach them easily, he drips slobber on stuff. Other than that, this system works great at helping to stay on top of the workload. 


The biggest solution for getting the garden and kitchen work done is to not have a car and be stuck at home. Nothing works wonders for checking things off the to-do list than not being able to escape. It is not something I recommend or wish on anyone.  After receiving the price quote from the mechanic, Bill retorted that the "new" transmission has doubled the value of our old car! I'm not complaining. We made it home safely and as of right now, have plenty of food.

18 comments:

  1. It's good you're able to find the humor and the positives in a challenging situation. We've had our share of challenges lately too, some of which I wrote about in this week's post. I get overwhelmed by the garden produce as well. Today, after picking the garden and packing orders, I need to get busy in the kitchen. I have a choice of tomatoes, squash, figs and carrots to put up. The tomatoes will likely be first up, then figs, being the most perishable. Those Hungarian Heart tomatoes are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday I discovered 30 half eaten tomatoes on the ground. Each one was scratched, clawed and missing only one bite. I was livid!!!! A groundhog had moved in under the shed and gorged himself in MY garden. It made the mistake of returning for an afternoon snack while I was looking out the kitchen window as I washed dishes. Bill came to my rescue and vanquished the wicked foe from our kingdom.

      I have to laugh to keep from crying.

      Delete
  2. Very impressive, productive garden! So many tomatoes, in spite of the critters. I grow a few tomato plants. But with limited sun, I'm happy to get more from our local food share. There's nothing like fresh-picked tomatoes! And it's great to freeze and/or can some for the winter, too. Glad you got the car situation resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not fun being without a car for three weeks but we managed. I could have gotten friends to drive me to the store but I hated to make them do that when it wasn't an emergency. We ate from the garden. We didn't suffer.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Those big red tomatoes really make my mouth water! And I fried some yellow squash last night and it was so good. I'm happy that we have local fruits and veggies in our stores here in Florida. They sure do taste better than those that are shipped. Hope everything runs smoothly this week! Your funny about the 'bug bomb' made me laugh! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy your yellow squash and having a local farm stand that sells it. We love it but I just can't grow it because of the bugs. Wait. Let me rephrase that statement. I haven't yet learned the secret to growing yellow squash.

      Delete
  4. It's always so interesting to read about the new varieties that you trial. Glad you discovered the Dino melon in amongst the one sown by nature! Thank goodness your car story had a good ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't want to confess to the world my stupid mistake of getting excited over a plant that I already had growing. I keep telling myself I am learning. The Dino melon is all white and I don't have any idea how to know when it is ripe. There is only one on the vine. There are others growing in the garden but none have a melon yet. What to do? What to do? So much pressure....

      Delete
  5. Your garden is very productive. I wonder how much a watermelon in the picture weighs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margi, we weighed our melons in August of 2018. It was the year I finally learned how to tell if a watermelon was ripe and ready to pick. We have already eaten this watermelon and can't weigh it plus I don't have Dustin living here to lift it for me. No way am I going to step on a bathroom scale!

      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2018/08/augusts-garden-2018.html

      Delete
  6. You don't have a garden anymore -- you have a community of neighbors who do (and don't) get along with each other -- and you! I'd keep an eye on those squash... they may have plans to move in and evict you, with the tomatoes abetting them.
    Seriously, I'm jealous. We have had so many problems with grasshoppers this year. Once plants get to the point of The Next Step, the hoppers move in and munch them back to the ground. We have some deer issues, too, which march in when Ruby goes into the trailer for the night. Darn it.
    Ya got any tips on taking care of grasshoppers? I've had some success with soapy water sprayed on plants, to keep the squash bugs at bay...then standing there and picking them off, dropping into the soapy water -- then whizzing that with a blender, and using it again on the plants. Squash bugs apparently don't like looking at "parts" of their previous neighbors.
    It's been a rough week here at the Bricks' -- and listening to you rattle on about your garden has been wonderful. Don't stop.
    P.S. Have you thought about a roadside stand? That would help with the car repair costs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put mineral oil with a few drops of dishwasher liquid with water in a spray bottle. Chewing bugs don't like to eat greasy leaves; however, neither do I. It is only used on plants whose leaves I don't eat like okra, eggplant, bean, tomato, or squash. It has to be mineral oil. They like olive oil. I put the spray bottle on a fine mist and that seems to do better because the oil can burn the leaves if you do it in the hot part of the day. It also smothers the bugs if you squirt them directly. That's fun. Revenge! Putting them in a blender sounds fun too.

      Absolutely, positively NO to the roadside stand! There is too much hard, back-breaking, sweaty work involved in getting my crop. My labor is priceless! I would charge $100 for each tomato because that is how hard I have worked! I couldn't make enough money to cover my exhaustion. It would be easier making money flipping hamburgers - at least that job is air conditioned. I garden because I want my family to have nutritious food. I'm desperate to be healthy.

      Delete
    2. I will try it! Thanks, Jeannie. All that beautiful garden produce... Guess I lost my head.

      Delete
  7. I love looking at the pictures of your garden! Your commentary is so funny.
    Sorry about the car thing! That is so frustrating and inconvenient. I remember our car breaking down all the time when I was a kid, and money was so tight. I'm very grateful that we have not had too many car issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really complaining even though it sounds like I am. It wasn't storming, neither was it dark, my husband was with me, and we made it home safely. The car is old and has been good. It deserves to have a few problems now and then. Being positive is hard but I am trying - whining is still more fun.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, such lovely healthy plants and wonderful produce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are the tomatoes still piling up and driving you crazy? You know, you can stuff them as-is in plastic bags in the freezer. Then run hot water over the frozen tomatoes, and their skins will slip right off. (Or just pick them out of the cooking soup/stew. Been there, done that.) We are FINALLY getting zucchinis, which is thrilling -- and I will be planting more greens. Hopefully they will stand the first frosts, and the grasshoppers will be dead by then. (The stinkers.) Love to see what's going on in your garden. (And thanks for stopping by.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, as quickly as they started pouring in, it suddenly slowed down two days ago. It was as if a switch was turned off and all together half of the tomato plants died. Weird. I envy your zucchini. I hope you get a thousand!

      I like the freezer idea for tomatoes and would love to give it a try except the freezer is so full we have to play Tetris to get everything in. We just got home from the grocery store an hour ago where someone had over bought whole milk in the one gallon size. They were marked down to about $1.00 and I bought 10! Yes. I have ten gallons of milk which will be expiring in a few days! We put it in smaller juice bottles to freeze so we could drink it quickly after it thaws and before it expires. Then I am going to make yogurt with 4 of the gallons in a few days. I will have to pull chicken out of the freezer to cook and can just to make more room for the yogurt. It was too good of a deal to pass up especially since our last gallon cost $4.11.

      Delete