Wednesday, September 27, 2017

R.I.P., Hemerocallis fulva


I am so distraught.  It is time to celebrate WildFlower Wednesday for September and link up with other people sharing wildflowers from around the world.  I, on the other hand, with a heavy heart must tell a sad story of destruction...and MURDER!

My post for WildFlower Wednesday this past June shared my amazement of this daylily who had self-seeded on the pavement.  I had been watching it grow and spread for years because it was a marvel of strength and hardiness.  It planted itself, grew and spread without help from anyone.  It bloomed and brightened this hostile barren spot while cheering all who passed.  It asked for nothing more than a bit of sunshine, a little soil, and occasional raindrops.

This week I once again traveled through its' small hometown and as always, glanced over in anticipation of a bit more multiplication.  To my horror, this is what my eyes beheld!

GASP!

June 2017
September 2017
It was gone!  Destroyed!  MURDERED!  This garish yellow, metal plate now occupied the place of honor previously claimed by the tenacious daylily.

Ugly.
While attempting to control my emotions and refrain from collapsing with dismay, I began a quest for clues as to who committed this appalling crime.  While looking for fingerprints and footprints, I noticed all criminal evidence was hidden under a layer of new pavement.   

June 2017
September 2017
NEW PAVEMENT!  Who would have the resources to bury all traces of their nefarious doings under a layer of asphalt?  My mind raced and then recalled my July Wildflower Wednesday post where I complimented this road paving crew and said: "they were way smarter than sheep." Oh, they were smart alright, smart enough to think they could commit murder and get away with it. Not as long as I am around to shine a light on their guilt and show the whole world these mens' dastardly deed.  They steamrolled over the world's most beautiful flower!  All in the name of progress.  I hope they are ashamed of themselves.

Shame, shame, shame.
Hemerocallis, fulva, Ditch Daylily, ? - 2017
You will be missed by many.

20 comments:

  1. Such a sadness to see folks remove plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had been something I didn't like such as poison ivy, it would not have been bad; but I enjoyed looking for them as I passed by.

      Delete
  2. They were so pretty! What a bummer, but at least you got a new road out of it (It would have been so much worse if they had just come by and "patched" the spot they were growing out of.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a great job on the road and now I have trouble staying under the speed limit. At least my tax dollars are being spent well, for once!

      Delete
  3. Oh, crap! If only you had known, you could have rescued them. Unforunately, the road crew doesn't look ashamed....they look tired....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had to be exhausted. I took the picture on a hot day and they were working on top of burning hot asphalt. They were also tired from...MURDERING so many helpless wildflowers beside the road.

      I know I am being a bit overly dramatic writing a eulogy for a flower; but if I didn't do it, who would?

      Delete
  4. I am often furious with the road crews here, too. They mow down blooming wildflowers, and the electric power people spray. Why do they think dead brown grass is prettier than green grass? It makes no sense.
    My condolences in your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the chemical sprays are the worst since who knows what they are doing to our health.

      Thank you for your sympathies.

      Delete
  5. They were such an pretty and intrepid group. Daylilies are quite prolific so hopefully a new bunch will show up nearby in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get out of the car and look for a crack in the pavement in hopes I could drop another seed there; alas, they had covered every inch in deep asphalt.

      Delete
  6. I, too, enjoy seeing flowers brighten up the roadside; but, this time, I'm going to side with the road crew. The flowers gave it up for a good cause ... the sidewalk now includes a tactile cue to a person with a visual impairment who would use a cane to navigate the sidewalk. Also, there appears to be a curb cut for a wheelchair user that wasn't there before. I have no idea whether there are people with disabilities who would use that sidewalk and intersection, but it's now ADA compliant and more importantly there for someone who needs it to use it. If you build it, they will come! Hopefully, flowers will reemerge :) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris for explaining what has been built! It makes sense because this intersection is located only two blocks from the town square and this little town is known for its' festivals. I will forgive the garish yellow paint since it helps the visually impaired and welcome the wheelchair ramp. My favorite daylily did not die in vain but was sacrificed to make the world a better place.

      My family is full of engineers and once again my opinion has been swayed by another viewpoint.

      Again, thank you.

      Delete
  7. Plants that finds home for themselves always seem to thrive. Amazing how they know where to go. I agree with others who commented that it is sad that road crews have no respect, in fact, zero education when it comes to the plants they mow, spray and destroy. I'm sure they don't give a second thought to the habitat they are destroying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, I believe one little seed has survived somewhere and this plant will once again thrive in another location. I am going to be positive and hope for the future.

      Delete
  8. It is sad that a bit could not have been left alone....but at least some good with the sidewalk has come of it. Visiting from Wildflower Wed.....and thanks for visiting my blog too! I thoroughly enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna, I do enjoy creating drama in my often mundane life.

      Delete
  9. I understand your feelings.
    But the residents in this street will like the new pavement.
    And they will surely have many flowers and also day-lilies in their gardens. That is the price for progress.
    In our community they sow a wildflower mixture on areas near the roadside. For insects and butterflies. Only when the flowers wither
    they will be mowed. Most flowers bloom a second time after that.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next Spring you must send me pictures of the wildflowers blooming beside the roads. I would love to see them.

      It was sad to see it gone since I always looked for it as I passed. If there were no cars behind me I would slow down and gawk. If traffic was heavy, I would drive around the block and pause while sitting at the stop sign. It is better now because I will be looking at the road as I drive.

      Delete
  10. I am horrified. Obviously a gang slaying and I see you got them on camera sporting their colors. Menace to society!! Total disregard of life and humanity. Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrifty Mom, I see you love parodies also. I am not shocked that you do.

      Delete