Friday, June 15, 2018

Today's Blooms, June 15, 2018


It seems I must apologize for complaining about the cold, wet, late Spring we had this year.  In an attempt to catch up, many of my flowers decided to bloom at once. I love it. When I checked last year's June post, there were only a few flowers but this year everything is blooming. The biggest surprise are the daylilies. Oh, what a little (deluge) of rain will do.















This one is my favorite.  It is a deep dark wine color, almost black.  Every time I see it, I catch my breath because it is so lovely.



I claim no credit for any of the spectacular blooms.  They did it themselves either by reseeding or being a perennial.  This year I have been extremely busy and unable to work in my garden.  Out of desperation, I have embraced the weeds. This is Daisy Fleabane which is very happy beside my blanket flowers.








 


This has been the most amazing thing of all - my yucca plant bloomed for the first time EVER! It has been in this spot for about ten years.  It doesn't look great because I snapped the picture after a storm and most of the blossoms had been knocked off, but I am happy


Perhaps I should do less in the garden since it does better without me. 

Last June (2017) Scooter posed in front of the butterfly weed and I thought it would be fun to take the same picture again.  He disagreed.  He was no more cooperative this year than he was last. His manners have not improved and I think his belly is a bit more rotund.

"Who are you calling fat!?" demanded Scooter.


Links mentioned above:





15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of Day Lilies! Love the heart-shaped Hydrangea
    Hello to Scooter
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The heart-shaped Hydrangea was a surprise. It was the only one like it on the bush. I do love day lilies. I wish they bloomed longer...but then they wouldn't be "day" lilies.

      Delete
  2. Our daylilies are still coming up stalks. You have quite a variety. Peonies are blooming here now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love peonies and mine are definitely finished. The day lilies in the shade have not bloomed yet so I have more to look forward to seeing. I love them because they are impossible to kill!

      Delete
  3. You daylilies are amazing! I'm impressed by the blanket flower and, are those black-eyed Susans? Beautiful.
    I wish I had the yard to plant things in the ground like you do. My soil it clay and/or full of huge cedar roots. Most of my plants have to be in containers. The front yard is okay, but that's hot, sunny and a rock garden. Your yard looks so cool and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are Black-eyed Susans which re-seeded themselves. This year I have not been able to do much and the weeds are taking over. My soil is hard clay, gravel, large boulders and huge cedar roots also. It is very poor soil. I am constantly adding mulch, pulling up rocks and dragging the garden hose around. This year it is doing the best it ever has because of the rain in the Spring. There was nothing in the yard when I started the garden 14 years ago. Each year I add a few more flowers and it has spread and spread. I keep trying to stop planting but I can't.

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful flowers! It must be nice to have such great views!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It calms my soul...then I see a weed and must get up to pull it. Then I see another weed, and another, and another....

      Delete
  5. You have a lovely collection of daylilies, it will be a while yet before mine start flowering. Your garden is looking beautiful with all your wonderful flowers, a lovely place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the other readers said, your selection of day lilies is magnificent!
    They are ideal plants for a large garden.In smaller gardens like mine is, I have to cut pieces off every year, as they grow quickly.
    In many parts of Asia (like China) day lilies are cultivated as a vegetable. All parts of
    the plant are edible. But it must not be confused with real lilies!
    As you have so many you could cook meals for a large family.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have enough to cook and my family is always hungry. Tomorrow I will make a salad and add a few petals. It would definitely make my salad more colorful.

      Delete
  7. I don't think the comments I posted yesterday went through, but if they did--disregard whichever one you want to ignore:)

    I really love looking at your flowers. They are so beautiful. My mom always grew day Lillies, and they are so pretty. I have some flowers blooming, but many that are not there yet. I helped my nephew plant his Burgerville child's meal prize which was a packet of mixed flower seeds. The day I told him they were up, he expected blossoms. I'm kind of like that some days! Well, his grew, and some zinnia seeds sprouted that I had purchased at the dollar store. We have 2 small rows of "his' flowers, and now are waiting to see some blooms from them.

    I did have him plant cucumbers, since I've done it a few times and had no results. His are deeply planted in places and barely covered in others. Since my way did not work, I'm hoping his does:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, none of your other comments came through. Occasionally some will come through but the date will be a few days earlier. I don't know what is happening and I don't want people to think I am ignoring them, well, except for the SPAM. I am ignoring them.

      Jake might have a green thumb and be a gardener or even a farmer some day. It is always fun watching them learn. My favorite is when you see a child pick something, eat it in the garden and then realize where food comes from. I like seeing the light bulb come on in their eyes.

      Delete