Tuesday, January 1, 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


I DID IT!  Last year I was able to keep my New Year's Resolution.  It was to drive past more exciting mailboxes than the year before and I have done it!




My definition of an "exciting mailbox," is one that first causes a double-take then a quick turn-around to drive back and snap a picture. Who in their right mind would not slam on their brakes to admire this happy face?

He even had a saucy friend.




These made me wonder "What is that thing, where did they find it, and what possessed them to make it into a mailbox?"




Others were "creative copycats".  If the Jones' have one, I want one.  If all of your friends jumped off of a cliff, would you also jump?



I wonder if these were given as gifts to the person who has everything.







This one stumped me.  It's shaped like the State of Tennessee but has the logo letter "A" for Alabama State University.  Perhaps one family member is a Tennesse ball fan, another an Alabama fan so this is a compromise?  



Next are the ingenious problem solvers.  This guy didn't want to step over the deep ditch to get his mail.


If you don't want to walk to the mailbox, leave a note for the mailman to come to you. 


These people have a bell to be rung by the mailman, or if you don't want any bills, plant a thorny cactus so no one can get to the box.


This category is people who used whatever was at hand when it was installation time.





This is a real fire hydrant.  Seriously lazy.


How many poor horses had to go barefoot to make this mailbox?


A beekeeper used a bee house.  Hopefully, the colony had flown away before the mail arrived.

This is a gas tank from a motorcycle.  I know because I saw the owner in the yard and asked him.  He made it himself and was very proud.  Said it looked just like a mailbox to him so he used it.  I couldn't see the resemblance.


This last group belongs to people who should put "need mailbox" on their next birthday wishlist.





The best is saved for last.  


 

A dragon made from old Tennessee license plates.  


Wonder what my next New Year's Resolution will be?  Should I continue looking at mailboxes or the road as I drive?

Additional Links


10 comments:

  1. Those are amazing mailboxes! I really enjoyed looking at them. I don't see things like that around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am wondering if this is a Tennessee phenomenon or an out in the country thing. Perhaps the laws governing mailboxes, (are there such laws?) are not enforced.

      Perhaps the next time I go into the city I should drive around and look at their mailboxes. NO WAIT! Am I still going to spend my time looking at mailboxes instead of watching where I am driving?

      Becky, you must look around and see if you can find an exciting mailbox. Look hard. There must be something unusual there. Then post the picture so I don't feel all alone.

      Delete
  2. Are these pictures for a competition : Who has the most imaginative mailbox ?
    It seems that the inhabitants of Tennessee are very creative people.
    But the mailboxes in the last group look as if they are no longer used.
    So rundown and crumpled.
    I have never seen such extraordinary mailboxes around here.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rundown mailboxes are still in use! The one in the lower left corner that is on the broken post and is above the words "The best is saved for last" is in a construction zone. The city is widening the road and the crews keep moving the box as they do their work. I pass by it often and look to see where it might be sitting. There is mail inside if you look closely.

      Delete
  3. These are hilarious! I especially love the scissors mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That's my favourite. Must be the home of a quilter or perhaps a fabric business!

      Delete
  4. Oh, so many excellent mailboxes! The dragon is a work of art, for sure. I just read your winter garden post. Ours is smaller than most years, a winter greens mix, collards, carrots, cabbage and kale in the open, and some lettuce, tiny chard and celery under cover. What do you do with all your asian greens?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to eat greens every day. I make salads, stir fries, soups, steamed, mixed in smoothies, each time I make something, I try to do it differently. That's why I grow a big variety, so I can mix it up and not get bored. There isn't any recipes I follow, I just get creative. If it doesn't taste good, I keep adding something until I get it right.

      I have been looking through seed catalogs and have found MORE winter vegetables! Something new to try, must buy seeds!!!

      Delete
    2. Gmail is fighting with me today and is winning. Facebook's Dollar General Coupon Pro looks very informative.

      Delete
  5. These are fantastic! I'm really glad you shared your pics. Happy New Year Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete