Sunday, September 15, 2019

Today's Blooms, September 15, 2019


There has been no rain for almost five weeks, the temperatures have been in the mid-'90s Fahrenheit and there is no rain in the forecast.   It has been a constant battle to keep the garden watered and I am losing.  Everything is suffering but there are a few of the flowers Reese sent me that have been exceptional.  First are the coleus plants.



 


This unnamed red leaf plant (under the hydrangea) was poked in a one foot round hole encircled by huge rocks, yet it continues to spread. 

UPDATE:  Reese posted and said the red plant is an "...Iresine, if you leave it in the shade it stays green, but the more direct sunlight it receives the more intense the color purple becomes."

The hydrangea was also planted (years ago) in another hole and is surrounded on three sides by large rocks.  If it just survives from year to year, I am pleased; however, it has shocked me and is trying to bloom.



The dwarf cannas have been a pleasant surprise.  A bloom forms followed by a seed pod, then another stalk sprouts from the root.  The drought hasn't bothered them at all.



Sad to say, but the rest of my garden looks pathetic.


Last month I was celebrating how tall my cosmos have grown since they are in full sun now for the first time.  They grew so big, they became top-heavy, uprooted and fell over.  There wasn't even a rainstorm to blame.  They just collapsed and died.  It did open up the understory so the weeds below could thrive.


All I have done this month is water, water, water...no matter how much, it is never enough.  However, I have taken advantage of the drought to rid myself of some problem weeds - Hackberry tree seedlings.  They drop seeds everywhere, usually between big rocks or beside a favorite flower and then send down deep taproots.  It is impossible to pull them up without killing everything closeby.


This one is growing in my flower bed surrounded by flowers and is against a cedar tree trunk.  The taproot is entwined deep between the tree's roots.


This is the solution:  trim the seedling down to a few inches and paint the cut area with Brush Killer.  It will soak inside the stem and kill the root.   As long as you don't spill it, which is why I pour it into a jar, it won't hurt the surrounding plants.  It performs best when the plants are thirsty.  A tiny bit saves so much work.

I make no money endorsing this product.

Last year I tried to dig out the root of this Hackberry sprout but it returned bigger with three stems.   Brush Killer was dabbed on the top of the stems and now this problem will never return.


This cedar tree stump has green foliage planted around the base.  Poison ivy was tangled in the plants.   When I discovered it, I immediately panicked, sprayed a general weedkiller and of course, killed everything surrounding it on the right side.  That was last fall and it still hasn't recovered.  Applying just a small amount of the Brush Killer would have been a better option especially since we have well water.  Using the least amount of harsh chemicals is preferred.  Try to not overreact like me when you find poison ivy.


The second week of September is historically when the first cool snap arrives.  As of today, it is already one day late.  If you think I am watching the weather report eagerly anticipating the first pleasant day of fall, you are right.  My front yard swings are waiting.


Additional Links:
Well, Well, Well
Today's Blooms, July 21, 2019
Last Month's Blooms, August 15, 2019
Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

22 comments:

  1. My flowers have suffered through this hot dry spell, too. But I was pleasantly surprised to find more blooms than I expected!
    Your Canna lilies are looking much better than mine. Mine look so puny I did not even make a photo.
    Love those Coleus! Nice to have color that does not depend on blooms.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time to grow different Coleus and I intend on saving seeds for next year! Usually, we don't have a good selection at the local nurseries, just the same old colors. I don't know if they did better because they are in the shade or maybe they need less water since they don't have big blooms.

      Delete
  2. We are in a dry spell as well. My flowers are struggling and I just started pulling tomato plants up yesterday. The garden is about done and our produce was not good this year. It's going to be hot here all week and the humidity is stifling, but next week is anticipated to be cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the weather report again, for the hundredth time, and it is cooling here a bit also, but still no rain.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful canna lilies...lovely shades of coleus..they dont brave summer heatwaves in our region and are replanted every year again.The red leaf plant ground cover seems like loropetalum if I am not wrong.Lovely shade of morning glory at the end of the post.Happy bloggers blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this is my first year growing these canna lilies, I don't know if they will make it through the winter. I'm saving seeds just to be safe. They were about two inches tall when I got them and it is hard to believe how much they have grown.

      I searched "loropetalum" (thanks for the name) and it does look like what I have growing. However, mine has never bloomed and it is not supposed to live through my cold winter. It is planted in a difficult spot surrounded by rocks, but I wonder if the heat of the rocks might keep it alive this winter. Time will tell.

      Delete
    2. Nope, the purple plant is Iresine. If you leave it in shade it stays green, but the more direct sunlight it receves then the more intense the purple color becomes.

      Delete
    3. YAHOO! Reese read my blog without my nagging! Thank you for the correction and I will update my post.

      Delete
  4. It's the same here, Jeannie. Very dry, and a lot hotter than a typical September. There's no way we can keep everything watered adequately. Beautiful Morning Glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to the weather, it is the same situation here in Germany. Very warm days, cool nights and no
    rain.We really need rain. But for the many winegrowers here in the Kaiserstuhl region the weather is ideal! They are looking forward to premium qualities, such as Burgundy wine.
    But for gardeners it is soon time to clean up as fall is coming.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the winegrowers around here are thrilled also. As for me, I am tired of watering and have started choosing what will live and what will die. Dragging the garden hose around the yard is getting old.

      Delete
  6. Same story here ~ too hot and dry! My flowers have had a difficult time this year due to a wind storm which took down a big tree and then having three more big trees cut because of threats to power lines. Hopefully things will return to normal next summer because most of the plants were perennials. The dry weather did give us time to bale our hay; always a good side to things I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had three trees cut down this past February (one still needs to be burned) and it has made a huge difference in my flowerbeds. I have had to adjust also because my favorite bed went from deep shade to constant sunshine. No longer can I work out there without being in full sun and being hot. I don't miss those trees at all.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement on my "resting" blog.
      I've also gone from deep shade flower beds to full sun. Some things won't like this. :)

      Delete
  7. Someone else just recently posted some photos of leaves from coleus...I used to plant some every year. I am not sure when I quit. I still love their colors. Just so gorgeous. I love your pots of flowers on the stump...to myself i call them the stump setters. Oh, before I go, I love that plant at the base of the hydrangea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stump setters! Love that name. I now have something to call the pots I put on top of stumps!

      I am going to try and save the seeds from the coleus plants and try growing them again next year. The blooms are not very big or attractive so I don't know how it will go.

      Delete
  8. Those coleuses are wonderful. I never managed to get any planted this year. I enjoyed the tour of your garden and all your blooms. Thanks for dropping by mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you have to go through drought conditions. That was my problem in July. Most of the plants have rallied, but many of the hostas will have to wait for their close ups until next year. I hadn't thought of using Brush Killer. I might try it on rose of sharon saplings. that grew up behind my back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for those plants that are impossible to dig up and no matter how many times you chop them to the ground or cup up the roots they return stronger. Hackberry trees, poison ivy, and blackberry runners are my biggest problems. I have a Rose of Sharon, but I have never seen a seedling from it. I am in zone 7a so that might make a difference.

      Delete
  10. Your planters are looking fabulous despite the drought and I love all the varieties of Coleus. The Cannas are beautiful too! Good tip about the Brush Killer and that you were able to get those Hackberry tree seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our dry spell was truly broken this week with a whole month's rain in a morning! Long lasting heat and drought seems to be the story of many of my Stateside gardening friends this year :(

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. You asked a question about my metalwork sculpture of a lotus aka sacred water lily. What you can see are the leaves and a seed head. The plant's latin name is Nelumbo nucifera. It is a lovely thing both as a sculpture and flower. You'll need plenty of water for the real thing though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this drought is ever over, I think all my flowers are going to be metal! I am so tired of watering.

      Delete