Monday, August 31, 2020

August's Garden (2020)

The garden has worked hard and produced magnificently. There has been plenty of rain which is unheard of for the month of August and as a result, the plants have not gone dormant.  I too, have worked hard, produced a magnificent stocked pantry, and now feel like going dormant for the winter!

The first row is a combination of many things. Malabar Spinach is traveling up the shepherd's crook. A volunteer tomato plant is being supported by a fence post. One Blue Curled Kale is still alive from this past winter's hoop house. The Purple Hull Peas on the outside of the short fence are almost all picked. Three volunteer bean sprouts have appeared in with the sugar beet seedlings (the one in the walkway will be removed).  The cucumbers at the far end have died but more have been planted on this upper end and will be trained up the short fence. 


Toward the left is the second row as it appeared on August 6th, before the two rows of beans were harvested.  It was my first time growing Jacob's Cattle Bush beans (on the right) and October Bush Beans (on the left).  The green leaves covering the dead bean vines belong to three Waltham Butternut Squash plants.  


Each row had about ten bean plants and this was the harvest.  I am not impressed with Jacob's Cattle Bush beans on the right.  


Jacob's Cattle tasted like mild pinto beans and were good but the plants did not produce enough beans for the amount of space they used. I will plant the remaining seeds next year but don't plan on buying anymore.


The October Beans looked beautiful when shelled but lost their color when cooked.  Their flavor was unique - a buttery, creamy mild flavor so they will be grown again.


These are the Pink-Eye Purple Hull Cowpeas on the short fence before harvest.  This is the quality of production I expect (demand) from bean plants.


This is the second row today.  The bean plants are gone and the three Waltham Butternut squash plants look anemic.  They were supposed to cover the whole area and produce a bumper crop; however, altogether they only have six average size squash.  Compare them to the Tahitian Butternut plant beside them on the left.  It was planted later, has grown to the end of the row, and is already covered in very large fruit.  The Waltham plants will be removed, the area plowed and winter crops planted.  They did not meet the production quota - they're fired!



The seed for the Tahitian Butternut Squash was planted on the left side of the picture which is the beginning of the row.  It is growing down the row to the right or toward the back of the garden.  The older leaves become diseased, die off and new leaves form as it grows.  The green leaves on the right are the new ones.  There are still a few Detroit Red Beets swallowed by the leaves but I don't know if I can find them now.  This single plant will devour my garden and produce a massive amount of squash.


This year another volunteer squash sprouted in the compost pile in the back corner of the garden and is spreading down the fence.  It looks like a Waltham Butternut squash.  It has three squash fruits on it which are already twice as large as those on the anemic vines.  I don't know if the larger size is due to the rich dirt in the compost pile, or if it has crossed with something else, or if the anemic ones need fertilizer.



The center of the garden looks worn out from producing and is tired (like me).


These empty spots will be plowed this month and will be prepared for the winter hoop houses.


The watermelons and the seedlings from the bag of assorted unknown greens are thriving in the back area. The watermelons haven't been picked because there is no room in the refrigerator.


The crazy trellis in the back of the garden in front of the shed is disappearing under the foliage. 


On the left side are three vining squash - two spaghetti from the seeds of a store-bought squash and a Long of Naples. The spaghetti have climbed up the arch and two have been harvested. They were delicious.


More are forming under the leaves.  When I crawled under it to take a picture, I discovered hidden unpicked Lima Beans - they are sneaky like that.


The Long of Naples vine has not done well at all.  It slowly ran a few feet up the arch but then stalled. I noticed it had roots forming along the stem so I meticulously untangled it out of the bean vines, put it on the ground, and then the vine began to grow better.  I don't know if that made the difference or if it just wanted to be beside the sweet potatoes.


This is the back row of tomatoes closest to the shed.  Behind it is a tightly squeezed row that was designed to efficiently utilize the thin space.


The row behind the tomatoes is the last one in the garden.  It is a few inches in front of the short wire fence, is shaded most of the day, and is squeezed into a small space.  At the beginning of the row is one vining squash - don't remember what it is, just stuck a seed from a bag in my hand into the ground as I walked past.  It is spreading under the taller okra plants and is going toward the field at the far end.


The okra were planted late because the seeds didn't germinate and it was hard to find more.  Now they are at production capacity and must be picked daily.


Further down the row is the tall arch which held the yard-long beans last year.  This view is from the back of the garden with the woods behind me looking toward the house.  Lima Beans are spreading over the arch, okra is under it, a mix of beans are below the okra, and the vining squash plant slithers along hunting empty spaces. The Lima Beans go up, the okra occupies the middle, the bush beans are down low, and the squash grabs what is left so no ground or sunlight is wasted. The beans will be finished before the okra becomes so tall there is no light left and the squash vine will get more sunlight when it reaches the walkway. 


The beans are mixed because it took multiple plantings to get them to sprout in the spring.  Being in the deep shade makes them spindly, they prefer full sun but surprisingly they are producing a few beans.  I would rather get a few beans than a bunch of weeds.


At the far end of the arch looking back toward the woods is a single okra plant.  It was placed between two Lima Bean supports in the original walkway after it was blocked by the short fence.  If I had gotten the okra out earlier, I would have put something under it also.  When an empty spot appears it gets a seed.


The Delitaca Squash from saved seeds was planted at the beginning of the middle row of tomatoes and spread under the tomatoes as planned.  When I said earlier something was wrong because the vine and leaves were too large, I was right.


This is not a tiny, three to six-inch Delicata squash because it has crossed with who knows what.  It looks like a Delicata but is too large.  Obviously, I am not good at saving squash seeds. 


Right now work on the fall and winter garden has begun.  Will a small garden be all we need or will I be feeding the neighborhood when another disaster hits?  Will the world settle down or will the insanity of 2020 continue?  Bill says it will get much worse before it gets better.  I think he is right.  Production quotas are going to be increased.

20 comments:

  1. We've had some interesting squash crosses, too. I think you're doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is because you haven't see what I tossed! The other Delicata squash plant produced an entirely different kind of squash. It was all seeds and almost no fruit. Bill thought it was a watermelon.

      Delete
  2. I always get so hungry when I see pictures of your super-lush garden! Today I'm especially eyeing your beans. I love the description of them as having a "buttery, creamy, mild flavour"! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first saw these beans at the Amish Auction and they were quite popular. Now I understand why everyone wanted them. Next year, I will grow more.

      Delete
  3. I learn so much from your posts! My garden questions thus time are as follows:
    1) how do you keep your kale from being eaten by bugs? The cabbage moths lay eggs on mine and then hatch and devour the leaves. I get to pick some first thing in the spring, then all summer the bugs eat. Obviously I have very healthy bugs since they are eating kale! Usually in the Fall the bugs die out and I get a few more leaves
    2) where dud you get your Tahitian Butternut Squash seeds? I would love to try growing them!
    3) What is your best producing dry bean? I would love to grow green beans, but truth is I don’t get outside to pick them in time before they grow tough, so dry beans seem to work better.

    Thanks for any advice!
    Susan M. in Chattanooga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, if you don't live in Tennessee, you have no idea how bad the garden bugs are. I do what no one else will admit to doing - I spray and I spray often. However, I am careful because I don't want to get cancer so I use mineral oil (bugs hate it!) In a few weeks, I will be posting the results of my summer experiments and will show what I use and how I do it. All my secrets will be laid bare! It is impossible to grow greens during the summer which is why you never see them at farmer's markets. All of mine die but maybe two or three which I strip down to just a few tiny leaves and keep those sprayed. I don't eat the heavily sprayed leaves but let them keep the plant alive. When the weather cools, they will grow leaves quickly and I can harvest again with a minimum amount of spraying.

      I got my Tahitian Butternut squash from Baker Creek Heirloom seeds.

      The best producing beans are the cow peas and limas. They love the heat and there are so many different kinds and flavors. Whenever I see a different variety, I have to buy it and try it. I rotate them in my garden over the years.

      If you want a green bean, go with the yard-longs. They also love the heat. You can easily see them hanging on the poles and realize you need to harvest, which will be about every three days.

      This link shows some of the beans I grow and also how I use the Tahitian squash.
      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2017/07/julys-garden-2017.html

      Delete
  4. It certainly looks as if you can feed your neighbours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't come to that but it isn't looking good. We know the mayhem will last until the election and are hoping life will settled down after it...or it might get worse. Either way, I plan on having food on the table.

      Delete
  5. Your Tennessee kitchen garden is impressive, Jeannie. Great idea to plant beans in the shady spot to prevent weeds. Great harvest. Well done! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The garden looks great! You are producing a lot of food. How do you use all these squashes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tahitian Butternut tastes similar to sweet potatoes and can be substituted for them or used as a pumpkin in a recipe. I use them in: smoothies, cakes, pies, casseroles, soups, mashed with butter and cinnamon is the best. If you pick them before they ripen and turn orange, they can be used like zucchini: battered and fried, cheesy casserole, shredded in a salad, sauteed with onion, soups, stews, bread. The seeds can be toasted in olive oil with a bit of sea salt. There are so many different ways to use them and they store all winter long, if you let them cure a few days outside in the sun. When I have too many to use in one year, I can and freeze them.

      Only once have I grown too much; however, the church we were attending at that time had a weekly potluck. I took a huge butternut casserole every week and sent the leftovers home with somebody each time. I was surprised at the amount of people who had never eaten it before. It was always popular. It was microwaved to mush, blended, then I added butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing what you grow...take pictures of some of your produce after it is picked and canned/or ready to go in freezer! If I was close, I would come help you with the beans. Always enjoyed doing beans. Then we could both go sew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take some pictures of the cans for you but NO pictures of the kitchen. It is a mess. Food is piled everywhere waiting for its turn. I leave it out so I can look at it and decide what must be processed next. Today it was: 5 quarts of cucumber pickles, peaches were frozen (from a local orchard).

      Lunch was baked potatoes (with the fixin's), a big tomato, watermelon and peaches with cream for dessert. Dinner was Lima beans, yellow squash steamed with onions, a small butternut microwaved with butter, and home-made bread right out of the bread machine. I was going to bake chicken but exhaustion overtook me.

      Tomorrow I plan on shelling more beans (really wish you were here to help), pickling and freezing bell peppers and freezing a few more peaches. Lunch will be tomato, cucumber, onions on a hot tortilla covered in cheese. Dinner will be tonight's leftovers with baked chicken.

      If you help me shell beans, I promise to feed you real well.

      Delete
    2. And fried okra. I forgot to mention it.

      Delete
  8. Lovely Garden .Loved your fresh bountiful harvest.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/08/garden-affair-love-for-caladiums.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invitation. I always love a party.

      Delete
  9. So many interesting pictures! It all looks so green and fresh. Enough of rain is a real blessing.
    You had a very successful gardening season, and so you can fill many jars and also your freezer.
    It is a good feeling being prepared for winter no matter how it will be.
    As to squash, I had read once that they easily cross. How long do they keep after they are cut?
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long they store depends on when you pick it. Summer squash like zucchini or yellow squash are picked young before they have matured and the skin is thin. It is like cucumbers, you pick them young before they get hard. Winter squash are summer squash that have been left on the vine to become mature or hard so they can be stored through the winter. Summer squash only lasts a few days and must be stored in the refrigerator. Winter squash can store through the winter.

      Squash easily cross pollinates and it is a lesson I need to learn. I must stop saving the seeds.

      Delete
  10. Thanks with joining in with 'Through the Garden Gate'. I am always amazed how many vegetables you manage to grow in your garden and how much work it must take! We grew okra one year which resulted with my husband needing a hernia operation after pulling it out. Needless to say we haven't grown it again! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have roots like a tree! I have learned to cut them down then leave the roots to rot through the winter. I feel sympathy for your husband.

      Delete