Thursday, November 12, 2020

In Search of a Bale of Hay

The previous horse breeder who kept his horses on our land will not be returning because they have moved onto greener pastures.  Being desperate for a round bale of hay to use as mulch on my garden so we can stop raking our lawn, I went in search of another supplier.  Down the street not far from my house is a large training stable. We stopped one afternoon and asked if they have any unwanted bales of hay. All of theirs are used; however, they were interested in using our pasture to board a few of their mares. They dropped by for an inspection and we passed.


"Cupcake" was the first to arrive. She belongs to the trainer's granddaughter and is a bit spoiled.  Being the smallest does not stop her from thinking she is the boss. 


They enjoyed exploring their new home.

Hey Pooch!  Why do you bark so much?

Scooter enjoyed exploring everywhere they have been.

Walmart, the feed store, Exxon, Taco Bell...

There was one problem: we couldn't see them for the weeds.  


A bush hog came to the rescue.  The horses were neither bothered nor impressed by the big machinery.  They continued to dine on delicacies and didn't raise their heads.



Life was quiet for a few days.  Everyone settled in and munched the fresh grass.

The trainer's son and his best friend wander by occasionally to ride the range, inspect the fences, and check the watering hole. Real-life honest to goodness cowboys on my land.  Yeeehaw!


The calm was broken when the trainer received a call from a lady who was in the process of moving to Tennessee and her housing deal had suddenly fallen through.  She had to start searching again but her horses were already here. Hauling them back to Virginia was not an option. Could we let them stay on our land until she buys another farm?  Of course, we said yes. There is plenty of grass for a short while.  Immediately, our herd increased to nine.


A note to the international readers:  America is experiencing a multi-million human migration of urbanites leaving high-taxed, crime-ridden, Antifa rioting, gun banning, unending coronavirus lockdown, Democrat states and are moving to freedom-loving Republican states. The housing market here is hot.  Bidding wars are common.


These are not just any old regular horses but are special show horses with impeccable pedigrees.  They have won numerous world-class championship awards and are being bred.  


I am ignorant of horses.  All I know is that they are magnificent animals and it is a pleasure watching them through my windows.  The trainers love them and they know it.


Oreo, who is colored like an Oreo cookie, is the most famous.  


It was her turn to be bred again so a breeder arrived one afternoon to collect all those who were ready.

Hey Jeannie! Be back when the party is over!

Getting three priceless, ornery mares into one trailer was not easy.  The last one balked.

You pull - I'll push.

No.  You push - I'll pull.

SHOVE!
I wasn't naughty like her. My handsome feller is waiting for me.

"Outsmarting the trainer is my best skill." bragged sassy Cupcake.  "The other horses walk up to receive the lead rope and all they get is petted. Nope, not me. He can be easily tricked into giving treats from the neverending magic bucket. As he shakes the treat bucket I will appear interested but not too eager.  Watch me."

Shake, shake, shake.

I will stand my ground, appear aloof, and make him walk toward me. He must know I'm in charge.

Sniff, sniff, sniff.

Finally, after he has waited a while, I will let him have the honor of serving me.

Munch, munch, munch.

"Pssst, Cupcake," said Aspen.  "Smart move. Human males are so gullible."

Gullible, gullible, gullible.

Now on to my new adventure.  Enough of this boring field. 

Strut, strut, strut.
Who wants to be the boss now that Cupcake is gone?

Surely everyone is wondering - have I gotten my bale of hay?  Well, one day a tractor rolled down my driveway with this...two bales!  One for them and one for me? I was excited.


Until they turned into the field, locked the gate behind them, and acted as if I would steal them...which I was tempted but didn't do.

That lady is crazy - never know about her.

Later in the day, I heard the tractor rolling down the drive again and saw a rotten bale being drug on the ground.  

Ring, ring. Hello. Yup. Made it in one piece.  Thanks for giving me your trash.

And then he turned toward the garden.  It was for ME!  I GOT MY BALE OF OLD, DECAYING HAY!


Other women want diamonds and furs.  I'm thrilled with wormy hay.

The cost to feed these horses

Other horses we have boarded

17 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed reading this! How exciting that you now have horses to look at and pet (on occasion). You have all the fun and no work! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great setup. One of the horses is finally warming up to me and walking over to the fence to let me rub her nose. I don't know if it is me she likes or if she is always interested in the buckets I am carrying.

      Delete
  2. Great story. I'm with you on the hay. We accept all the old hay that's offered. Well, as long as we know it hasn't been sprayed with Grazon, a real problem in our parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the man who offered the free hay and I had asked him in the past if it had been sprayed. Supposedly, the chemicals breakdown after one year but I don't trust that. I don't want them anywhere near my garden.

      Delete
  3. I would be in heaven to have all those horses to pet and talk to.

    The way you sound about the hay, that is how I am about fabric and sewing machines. Give me either, any day of the week rather than diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These horses are a beautiful sight.But now you have both: Friendly horses and a huge bale of straw which
    is so useful for your garden.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have spread some of it on one of the walkways and I had forgotten how soft it is to walk on. There are some weeds growing in areas where the grass clippings were getting thin. There will be a bit of weeding but I am not complaining.

      Delete
  5. Horses are such beautiful animals. There are a lot of cattle in the ranch land across from our property. It is quite a thing to watch when 7 to 8 mounted cowboys herd all of their cattle down the road in front of our property to the ranch land farther down. Anyone in a vehicle simply has to be patient and sit and wait as the cattle make it slowly down the road. Once in a while, we have a stray calf in the yard that managed to get away. In no time, it is quickly reunited with the herd. Love your photos and your post! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a sight I would enjoy seeing. The best I have seen is a neighbor herding 40 goats down our road. They didn't cooperate and kept stopping to nibble the weeds on everyone's fences. There were a few cars lined up behind them because the herd was moving so slowly. Nobody seemed to mind but rather sat enjoyed the spectacle. You never know what you will see.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful sight to have in your field everyday. We are being overwhelmed by people moving here to SC and then they gripe about how it is not like back home. This is wearing thin with those of us who have been here for decades and love our state. If you move to a state where you can still have and use guns then you will hear guns since it is hunting season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My patience is gone with the snowbird complainer. I reply, "Ever notice how everybody moves south and nobody ever moves north?" Never have heard a response, then I say, "Must not be so great after all."

      Delete
    2. Actually we get a lot of what we call 'halfbackers'. They move from the NE to Florida and then decide it is too hot so they move here to SC. We've just labeled them all as carpet baggers at our house. We are Southern through and through here and make no apologies for it!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful animals. Oh how I would love to live in the country. I will be checking you out more. Sounds like my kind of life.
    PS. I agree with your comment of city/country life/real estate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice you got your hay! The joke around here is that other women look out at the houses as they go on a drive and envy them. I always envy gardens with great dirt!!!

    How nice that those horses can eat your pasture grass, and especially that the lady who owns them can leave them there for a while. I haven't checked into our housing market lately, as I don't plan to move, sell or know anyone who does want to do either. I should check it out because you have made me curious now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked Forbes and Tennessee is the 5th highest state in the US that people moved to in 2019. The infrastructure can't handle it. The roads are becoming gridlocked when you try to go somewhere.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful horses!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got your hay! We had two ponies in the field next to our home when I was a child, your post bought back happy memories. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete