Monday, March 8, 2021

Hungry, Hungry Horses

Ever wondered how much hay six pregnant mares can eat and what it costs to feed them?  Each round bale of hay sells for $35.  When it is gone, the trainer delivers more (after working his day job) to his mares in our field.  This is $70 worth of hay.



His assistant drives the water truck, fills up the troughs, and accompanies the tractor on the road for safety.


Early the next morning, I looked out over the field but couldn't see anything. There were two bales of hay delivered somewhere. I promise.



Day Two
The sun returned. The hay bales had been placed at the far end of the field since it is upwind of the house.  Every delivery is placed in a different spot to avoid overuse. The single black mare on the right often stands alone; nothing is wrong, she likes her quiet time. The trainer says she is "peculiar." I think she is an introvert.


For some odd reason, everyone wanted to eat the same bale. 


Day Three
One horse looked at the second bale, considered taking a bite but no one tasted it until after dark.


Day Four
Sometime during the night, curiosity drove them to sample the second one.


Day Five
It appears to be half-devoured by now.


Day Six
Both bales are almost gone.


They begin foraging the field for sprouting grass.  



Day Seven
The hay is gone.  It requires searching to find the bits and pieces they scattered and to quote the trainer, "They need to clean up their mess."


Right before sundown, the magic feed tractor arrives with two more bales of hay. Everyone rushes to see.



The new bales are sampled before being set down and dropped bites are enjoyed. The ladies are impatient.



Early the next morning, I looked out over the field and saw everyone stuffed and snoozing in the sunshine.


This week they ate two bales which cost $70.  Multiply that times 52 weeks which equals $3,640 for one year. That doesn't include the pricey tubs of grains, vitamins, and medicine that are also placed in the field.  As the grass in the field continues to turn green, they will prefer it over the hay. They are well-bred, high-maintenance, costly, ravenous ladies.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, I never would have guessed! I enjoyed your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They eat more than I realized too. They are like teenage boys.

      Delete
  2. I was always ravenous when I was pregnant...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was even worse when I was nursing. I remember eating a whole loaf of bread in one day and still being hungry.

      Delete
  3. They are special ladies, so they are worth it, right? As some of the others say, I remember being quite hungry when I was pregnant, and I had some weird cravings and other foods that repelled me. I guess other pregnant mammals go through similar food cravings/repulsions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this interesting report and for the lovely pictures. I have learned quite a bit about these
    "demanding ladies". Yes, they need much food, but that does not surprise me. They must eat "for two" and
    their horse babies are growing quickly. Horses are beautiful animals! Keep us informed when the new
    generation will arrive.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of them just left because their due dates are getting close. They were moved to a stall in a local stable so they can be watched closer. Their owner is planning on taking them home after the little ones arrive. She has bought a house, is getting her property fenced, and will finally be able to move to Tennessee. She really misses her girls and comes over just to go out in the field and hug them.

      Delete
  5. Ah, but they are beautiful! I sure would enjoy living by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. I get to watch, pet and enjoy them without any of the responsibilities or expense of their care. It is the best of both worlds.

      Delete
    2. and good for the horses to have your extra attention while their owner is far away.

      Delete
    3. They are finally becoming accustomed to me and are coming close to be petted. After a few rubs, they walk away. I'm not very exciting.

      Delete
  6. A delightful posting, Jeannie. These horses are beautiful neighbors for you to have. I look forward to seeing the babies. P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep my eye on them just because there might be a surprise. The stork has dropped a delivery twice before even though the veterinarian said they weren't ready. What does a man know? When the baby is ready, nothing can stop it.

      Delete