Friday, January 29, 2021

January's Garden (2021)


Methinks winter has arrived.


Below is December 26th after five days of bitter storms.  The nighttime temperatures were in the lower '20s (F) and during the daytime, it hardly rose above the '30s (F).  The wind blew so hard it knocked the chairs off of the front porch twice.


Everything looks damaged but they are really fine. This previous post explains how plants survive and why their flavor improves in cold weather "Winter Garden - Sunlight Hours".



They can endure cold, wind, and low sunlight, but not all three at once.  This time it was the high winds that made it hard to endure. If I lived in a windier area, I might use more protection like a thicker cover or two layers.


Two days later on December 28th, the storm passed, the weather improved, it warmed up to the '40s (F), and the plants recovered. 


Below are the collard greens on December 28th. 


The picture above is of the same collard greens as in the picture below.  The picture below is exactly one month later on January 28th - nothing has changed.  The collard greens have endured additional storms and haven't died but neither have they grown.  This is the reason it is necessary to plant so much in the fall to last us through the winter: there is almost no growth. The other rows of vegetables that can't withstand the harsh weather have been eaten.  



Big gaps are appearing in the rows as the supply dwindles.  If it were any other time of the year, more seedlings would be shoved into the empty spots.  Wintertime is only for harvesting and resting.


This Tatsoi has begun to bolt.  We are past the winter solstice, the days are lengthening, so they have been triggered to go to seed.  


As for the rest of the garden, there is still an abundance of greens.  




However, not everything is perfect - it never is when gardening.  Nothing in the middle bed below is doing well.  I didn't weed it because there were radishes planted between the bigger plants.  When I opened the hoop house, the leaves were dripping wet.  


The root is rotting on the Conquistador Celery and the leaves are turning brown on the Cascade Glazed Collards.  Neither of these two plants have impressed me this year - the celery tasted bitter all summer until after frost and every bug and slug in the world is attracted to this collard.


The De Cicco Broccoli has black on the leaves and head but at least the new growth is better.


I left the cover off for a few days so the birds could solve the slug problem.  However, I think there isn't enough circulation due to the weeds. My solutions are to either: sit out there in the freezing weather and weed (no way) or to pick what I can and then plow this area (yes) and next year plan on putting all the root crops in a separate bed and mulch the rest of the garden (yes, a good plan indeed).

First crocus of spring attempting to bloom on January 19th.

I am already planning for spring. The last of my seed orders arrived yesterday. Today, I stopped by My Favorite Country Store to see if potatoes and onions are in yet. He said everyone in town has stopped by to ask.  Seems like we are all eager for spring.  In a few weeks, I will be starting peppers but there is no big rush to do anything right now.  There is still plenty in the freezer, pantry, and garden to keep my menfolk happy.

Winter Garden - Sunlight Hours

15 comments:

  1. You sure have a way with greens! My lettuce patch in the main garden all rotted after some nights in the teens, even with row cover. Thankfully, the patch in the old truck toolbox is doing pretty well. The metal walls of it are a lot more protection than the row cover, I suppose. I hope to plant peas soon, and some wintersown flowers. Here's to great gardens in 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had the one bed that everything did bad. Why one spot is better than another is a mystery to me and it changes from season to season. I tried winter sowing flowers once. I didn't think it would work but they all germinated and proved me wrong.

      Delete
  2. Wow! We didn’t get that much snow here in Chattanooga! I have a few collards in my garden, but much smaller garden than yours. I am not a good plant parent, as I do not have any covers for them at all. I just hope they survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out. You will get hooked on winter gardening and next year's will be bigger. Then it will keep getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger....

      Delete
  3. WOW your gardens! I just might have green envy! Brr, the snow keeps coming down here today. I can't believe you have crocus already, how lovely to see them poking their heads out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't post the crocus because they looked rough but then decided they deserved to be shared. They were trying. It cheered me up to know spring is coming and so I hoped it would cheer others.

      Delete
    2. Everyone who is trying deserves cheering on!!

      Delete
  4. I love collard greens, but have never grown them. Nice to see your garden in January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first two pictures made me freeze. But then, under the covers so many green vegetables to harvest
    during winter. All this work that you had in fall was really worthwhile.
    And that last picture is a glimmer of hope. Such brave crocuses. Welcome !
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing how those vegetables have survived with the fleece protection! Lovely to see your crocuses appearing you are ahead of us! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always fun to read these posts...love the crocus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is green despite the winter. It looks amazing! Can't wait to see your spring garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making plans for the spring garden right now. I bought, oh, too many seeds...which shall I choose?

      Delete