Thursday, March 31, 2022

March's Garden (2022)

This month has been slow and steady.  I do what I can then stop to rest.  The hoop houses have been removed, the horse manure spread and I have begun digging up and planting one small area at a time.  Life has been demanding, the weather uncooperative so the weeds are prolific but I'm not stressing. Seriously. I am not panicked. 


The area under last year's remaining support fence has garlic, onions, lettuce, endive, and a few green peas sprouting.  No decision as to which vining plant will be going up the fence.


There is an abundance of garlic and onion plants because I am going to make seasoning powder.  Growing more herbs for cooking was one of last year's goals that was never realized.


Most of the remaining plants that survived winter under the hoop houses have been picked and the kale in the back two rows are now our main source of greens. It will remain that way until the new seedlings mature.



The Scarlet Kale has begun changing colors and going back to green since the weather is warming.  The colder it gets the deeper scarlet it turns.  A guest toured my garden this week and said her Scarlet Kale always remains the same color, no matter the temperature. Does anyone know why this is happening? I would love some answers.



The back of the garden has been turned under and is ready for the potatoes. Hopefully, they can be planted this week. Seeds from the bag of assorted unknowns have been tossed out in front of the short fence.


The soil in the back corner has never been trodden so it was easy to turnover.  Spinach is sprouting in the front section and Swiss chard is in the left spot between the stepping stones and the short fence.



Last night for the first time Bill was able to sleep without using the oxygen machine. He also walked to the garden stopping every few steps to breathe deeply. I shoved a hoe in his hands because his physical therapist said he needs to work on his cardiovascular strength.  Hoeing weeds is the perfect exercise! He only lasted a few minutes but I have faith he will continue to improve. Life is slowly, slowly returning to our new normal.

19 comments:

  1. It's good to hear of Bill's progress. I haven't done it every year, but I've definitely enjoyed using the garlic and onion I've dehydrated. They're so handy for so many recipes. Here's to bountiful gardens in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be my first time dehydrating then grinding them. I fly through the garlic and onion powder when cooking. I don't think there is such a thing as too much garlic. Bill strongly disagrees.

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! Don't work too hard, and tell Bill to take it slow. We are still at least a month away from the last frost, so I will dream by following your progress in your garden. So glad to hear that Bill is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last frost is supposed to be in two weeks but I think we are going to have a late spring. This year I really don't want to take any chances and risk losing anything. Prices are too high in the grocery stores. So I will be planting a little later.

      Delete
  3. So very thankful for Bill’s continued improvement! And your garden is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden still looks so productive. Take care, hope Bill continues to make good progress. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeannie, SO glad to hear Bill is improving. Every little step helps. We are still dealing with getting tired fast issues from Covid -- but that's nothing, compared to most people. (Okay, the coffee tastes strange now and then, too.)
    My mom's estate remains in progress, but the Brick and I did pretty much everything we could do. Now it's up to Brother's family -- our nephew is buying the farm and moving there this month. It is a bit of a relief, to not have to worry or deal with things as much. We got back to Colorado last Sunday, and are slowly setting down roots again. Five months away will do that to you.

    So good to hear your 'voice' again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels good to be blogging a little bit. Normal life and simple pleasures aren't taken for granted anymore.

      Delete
  6. Hooray for Dad finally being able to sleep without the oxygen machine. I bet Scooter is happy to not have the noisy machine running. Funny how the moment Dad shows up to the garden you give him chores to do. Hands certainly do not stay idle on the farm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing your Dad a favor. The therapist said he needs to work his lungs and I was only helping. The horses showed up and began watching him longingly so he started tossing the weeds over the fence for them. Caused a big fight - as if there isn't enough weeds in the field!

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear Bill is improving. Take care and don't forget to rest and relax. Your garden is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just now reading ...I see I have to go back through your posts to see what all has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to hear of Bill's improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slow and steady, step by step. My sister was in hospital for the first 2 weeks of this year. We go to Kirstenbosch each week. Walk a little bit further each time. This week we were happy that she is managing up and down the hills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks to me like you will have lettuce before you know it! Your garden looks great. Mine is at least brown now (dirt, not green weeds!) but only has a tiny area planted. It's too early for most things around here. I did plant one more tiny section Saturday and we got this big wind. My poor little broccoli looks a lot like the itsy-bitsy plants are hoping to stany up tall, but mostly droop over instead! I'll give them a few days. They didn't have time to get very strong and are small, but hopefully mighty, and will prevail.

    I would definitely take all the hoeing help you can get. I'm glad he's recovering enough to even hoe for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is raining today so no garden work for us which is fine, our sore muscles need some rest. We can only do a small amount of work before needing to rest and are dragging the plastic chairs around where ever we go. No problem. At least we are up and moving!

      Today is a major milestone. The oxygen company will be coming to pickup the machine! Bill can feel when his oxygen level drops and begins breathing deeply. I have learned to wait when he stops talking mid-sentence. I hold my breath while he breathes.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad to read the post and comments and know things are improving and Bill is doing better. Try not to work yourself too hard. I know Spring is the busy time. And have a good week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear that your Bill is feeling better. Your garden is lovely and one can tell you put a lot of work into it. Have a wonderful Easter weekend

    ReplyDelete