Tuesday, March 30, 2021

March's Garden (2021)

 

After the Great Snowstorm of 2021 melted, winter was finished. The hoop houses were opened and never used again. The vegetables and weeds sprang to life.  This is the garden as it looked on March 15th, 2021.

However, the plants seemed to think it was summer so they have all decided to bolt at once.  Going to seed causes the flavor to change and become bitter.  


My plan was to leisurely enjoy the last of the winter garden while waiting for the spring vegetables to produce, that hasn't happened. They must be picked quickly before they become inedible.


This is the garden as of today between rain showers.  It is a big mud hole.  


Much has been picked but it has been a challenge.  It has been shared with friends, I have entertained a few times (come for an all-you-can-eat salad bar and take the leftovers home), we juiced and detoxed (ugh) and my last resort will be to blanch and fill up the freezer.  Nothing will be wasted.  


The plants that are furthest along bolting are the ones that are chosen first. The Swiss Chard was planted late because in the fall this was a row of tomatoes with spaghetti squash on the support fence.  I had to wait until the squash died from frost before the fence could be removed and the chard planted. It will be eaten last.


There are also a few slow-growing cabbages that aren't ready yet.


This month the following has been harvested: collard greens, six varieties of kale, assorted kinds of cabbage, Swiss Chard, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts (only the leaves, the sprouts didn't form balls... again), spinach, Green in the Snow, tatsoi, bok choy, Chinese mustard greens, endive, various lettuces, Egyptian Walking Onions, winter radishes, beet greens (but no beetroots yet), celery, French Sorrel, garlic, cilantro, chives, plus some unknown crossed Chinese vegetables whose seeds had been saved. We also ate the last spaghetti squash, butternut squash, and sweet potato which were left from last year's garden.

A two-laundry-basket size harvest because company was coming.

Ten hoop houses were not too many even though we could have gotten by with less - eight would have been a better number.  It has been fun enjoying an abundance that can be shared. Last year's hard work was more than worth it to have so much at this time of the year.


We continue to eat more and more from the garden and less and less from the supermarket. We could have easily eaten more than the amount canned last year plus I have spent the winter searching for new recipes.

Goals for the warm weather garden.  
1. Squeeze in more plants for bigger harvests and try to do less work (I can dream).
2. Experiment with growing the new vegetables from the Garden Seeds for the 2021 Season.
3. Grow more medicinal and cooking herbs.

I don't know how to achieve my goals.  This is my problem - the garden can't get bigger.  Below is the edge of the garden beside the yard.  No more rows can be plowed into the lawn because the septic tank field lines end about 30 feet to the right of the garden.  We don't want to get close to it at all.


The back of the garden in front of the shed and woods will be in the deep shade when the trees leaf out. The shadow is getting darker and larger.  The square puddle of water is the spot where the tarp that held the drying grass clippings was laying last summer.  That was months ago and the grass still hasn't recovered.


In past years, this area was a part of the garden but the trees have grown too large as they spread toward the sunshine.  Big black pots lined up against the fence are going to hold herbs.  Horses don't seem to like them.


Walking around the corner is the area up against the field fence.  This wide space is needed so the mower will fit plus the horses lean over to help themselves.  That's why it is stretched and sagging. 


This is the front of the garden.  This area has never been tilled because it is full of large fist-size rocks which would damage the tiller blades.  Also, I don't want to plant close to the trash cans because they have leaked over the years.


This is the view of the same area standing beside the trash cans while turning to face the back of the house.  Bill can plow out a few feet more but that is all. 


The last load of fresh horse manure was spread over the front corner of the garden to create a "lasagna" bed.  It was amended with lime which will take a long time to break down.  The potatoes were planted on top and leaves were spread over them.  After they sprout, hay will be added and one Tahitian Butternut squash seed will be dropped in a corner. Maybe the squash won't overrun the potatoes before they can be dug in July.  It will be difficult to climb into the jungle to dig out the potatoes without trampling the squash, but nobody cares, it will recover.  Bill will be able to mow around three sides of this bed so hopefully the mower will keep the squash under control.  We shall see what happens.


The back area of the garden was plowed right before the last big storm.


The supports were left up again.  This was the first spot to get horse manure last year and it has already decomposed.  


This is how this spot looked last year.  Lima beans were going over the back supports with peppers underneath. Something else will be rotated here but surely, I can squeeze a little bit more in.  Right?


Instead of having mulched walkways, stepping stones have been added with short small plants strategically placed in the path.  Right now onions and leeks are between the stones so it is necessary to step carefully.


Under one arch spinach has been planted between the leeks.


Up against the short fence on the back of the garden are snow peas and English peas.  The shade from the trees won't bother them much because they will die as soon as hot weather arrives.  I never get more than a handful for a few meals because about the time they begin producing, the heat kills them.


Right now I am dreaming, scheming, and planning for a wild year. As long as God provides rain, life will be good.

27 comments:

  1. It is always fun to read your garden reports...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I always enjoy reading your quilting and pooch reports...

      Delete
  2. Your garden is so impressive. I can't wait to see more as it continues to grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started planting seeds and can't stop walking by to see if anything has germinated yet. I fear I am going to wear out the tile pacing back and forth.

      Delete
  3. You are going WILD! And it already looks beautiful! Enjoy your week and your planning...and plotting! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will look better when there are red, ripe tomatoes hanging from vines.

      Delete
    2. *It will look better for two minutes when there are red, ripe tomatoes hanging from the vines as you get a picture. Then you will strip the plant bare.*

      Delete
    3. So what if I am guilty of impatiently plucking every tomato after the photo-ops are over. You seemed to be happy loading up on tomato salsa when you were home last. Sassy mouth!

      Oh, by the way, this year I want to make my salsa all different colors with white, green, yellow, orange and of course red tomatoes. If you are nice, I might share again.

      Love Mom

      Delete
  4. That's awesome to have all those greens to eat and share. Our greens are all bolting too. I harvested the last of the cabbage, and have been giving the chickens the bolted collard plants little by little. Though we have various critters to deal with in the garden, neighboring horses aren't one of them. I do love horses, but I can imagine the munching on your vegetables, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bolted collard greens haven't turned bitter yet so I am still able to use them fresh, shredded in salads. We are eating huge salads for lunch and stir fry for dinner. Don't dare ask me to cook something else until the garden is under control. I'm not going to waste any of that food!

      Delete
    2. Eggrolls? We did make them over one of my prior vacations.

      Delete
    3. That is a good idea and I am going to make them this week. Your Dad and Dustin were about to mutiny so I made a huge vat of chili two days ago. The first day Dustin ate it for all three meals. MEAT, MEAT, MEAT they were drooling as they spooned it in their mouths. I poured it over my garden greens and made a taco salad. They were getting quite tired of green vegetables, but I never tire. What is wrong with them I wonder?

      Delete
  5. Our dinner will be a humble supermarket stirfy. I am awed by the amount of food you can grow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wet enough that you can grow rice in that swamp! How many times has your shoes gotten stuck in the mud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I walked out there my shoes get stuck. My tennis shoes would come off so I wear those big, heavy duty, water resistant work boots that are always slid under the bench on the front porch. Right now they are covered in an inch of dried mud.

      Now that you mentioned it...I did grow a tiny patch of rice once years ago. Not one plant formed a grain of rice. I wonder if it is too late to order more seeds and try it again? Hmmm...ordering more seeds. Should I risk looking at a seed catalog again????

      Delete
  7. I am always amazed how much work you achieve in a month! It must have been a challenge to pick so many vegetables at once, plow the garden, spread horse manure and make so many plans. I'm sure you will have another successful gardening year. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking the vegetables, washing them and then closely inspecting every leaf for a bug was a chore. Bill did the plowing and I sat in a chair and pointed, that was easy. Spreading the horse manure was a challenge but the trailer was parked right beside the garden which made walking easier. Dustin helped with the shoveling until the cedar trees began exploding with pollen and he had to remain inside due to a horrible allergy. But making plans - now that was different. I rushed through my chores so I could sit and daydream! Oh, the dreams I can dream!

      Delete
  8. You are producing a great amount of food. I'm looking forward to the results of your experiment with new seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margi, the prices of food here in the USA are rising rapidly. It is alarming to see it whenever I enter a store. This year I want to be able for us to eat even more from the garden and to do that I would like a bigger variety. Do follow along and watch my adventures. Hopefully, not everything will be a disaster or taste terrible. It will be fun.

      Delete
  9. When you are doing garden work, you are in your element. That is easy to see. But you are rewarded with
    even more vegetables than you could need. You have your vegetable market behind your house. That is great!
    As to peas, yes, they can be a problem. Early sowing is important, best even under garden fleece.The harvest should take place before the summer heat begins. They like humidity of air and they hate high temperatures. I think, that is why they have such excellent mark peas and snap peas in England.
    I wish you a successful "wild" garden season with lots of wonderful surprises.
    Christel
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the garden working and I am exhausted. The ground has dried and I am moving as fast as possible. It is as if everything, me included has come alive.

      I just checked the peas and they are about three inches tall. It would be great if I could get a decent harvest but they are sitting in an empty space in the garden so they are welcome. I do have a vegetable market behind my house and the prices can't be beat!

      Delete
  10. If you want to drive over to Chattanooga you can have an “extension garden” in my yard! As long as you share, that is! 😜 Last year I tried Swiss chard for the first time. Those pesky chipmunks and squirrels dug up every plant except one! I literally have had one Swiss chard plant growing this winter! They also dug up all my sunflowers, yet the year before they left my sunflowers alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mountains of Chattanooga. You are blessed to live there. Chipmunks I don't have, thank goodness but squirrels I do. They don't bother my garden usually because there are woods behind the garden with nut trees. We have only had trouble during a drought when they were taking the tomatoes. Something always gets my sunflowers too. I don't know what but they just disappear. I am not patient with critters stealing my food!

      Delete
  11. Gardening is a lot of work, but so satisfying to grow your own vegetables!
    You don't mention cucumbers, but if you want to try some, I recommend the 'Burpless Beauty'
    Wal-Mart has the seeds, and I grow them just south of you in Northeast Mississippi with very good results.
    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the suggestion and will head to Wal-mart to see if I can find them. I have been working myself to the point of exhaustion. The weather is perfect and I can't stop planting seeds.

      Delete
  12. Some people like neat and tidy gardens where there are no surprises, others love the thrill of windy paths, lots of different plant material and not knowing what is around the corner. empresa jardineria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like not knowing what is around the corner.

      Delete