Saturday, July 7, 2018

Scooter Gets Dumped

Mom, I am scared but I trust you to take care of me.
I did it! I did it! I rode in the car without throwing up all over Mom!  We have been practicing taking short trips and today, Mom promised to show me someplace exciting. She claims there is a place close by that is popular with all the local dogs because of the exotic scents. All I needed to do was to sit quietly and not regurgitate inside Mom's purse again.

Since this was a special trip, Pack Leader installed our hitch cargo carrier on the back of the car to hold our valuables.


It fits inside the trailer hitch like this.



Next, they put our impressive smelling trash cans full of noxious decaying garbage on top of the tray.  It was strapped down so we would not lose anything important.


The backseat was covered in old sheets, just in case, and everything was ready.


Then it was time to depart.  I was jittery, my heart was racing but I bravely climbed in.  We headed down the drive and into the unknown world.


Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?


After a few minutes, we arrived.    


"Hey, Scooter, this is your ole buddy Max, glad to see you out and about. Welcome to the best smelling place in the county!  Everybody who is anybody loves to come here for the sights and smells. They call it 'The Dump.' Why people want to throw away all of their good junk is hard to understand."


"Everything is sorted into different containers and piles." 



"All of the used oil is dumped in this building then taken to be recycled."



"There are different piles for various categories of items."


"They even give away free paint."  


"This is the best part of all.  Anything that can't be recycled is put in this huge powerful dumpster."


"The attendant pushes this button to start the machine."


"It smashes everything flat and then you really can smell the astonishing odors.  The experience is more enjoyable when standing downwind.  Don't you just love it here?" asked Max.


"I do love it." agreed Scooter.  "It was the most exciting place I have ever visited; however, there's no place like home."


Mom was extremely proud of me when we made it back home.  She said it will be a few months before we have enough garbage to return and I will get to go again.  In the meantime, we will continue taking short trips until I am able to travel a long way.  I want to visit Nana and Beau in Alabama.  It was an exciting grand adventure but it wore me out!  Pack Leader and I decided to celebrate my success by resting our weary bones on the couch.  He read the news while I...


While I...


Zzzzzzzzzzzz...


8 comments:

  1. Glad nobody ruined any purses! It can be rough in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least it was one I had bought at a thrift store - it went in the trash.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad he made it! I hope the 4th of July wasn't too hard on Scooter, either. My niece brought her little dog over here, and everyone took turns calming her down. She wasn't as worried about the fireworks as she could have been because of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness Scooter is not afraid of fireworks, at least there is one thing in this world that doesn't terrify him. He was a rescue who has serious "issues." We recently purchased a "Thunder Shirt" for him. It is a cloth that wraps around their body and presses on certain trigger areas. It clams them down like bundling a newborn baby. It works on Scooter but we have not used it in the car yet. That be the next big hurdle.

      Delete
  3. Places like these and other sorts of scrapyards can be quite adventurous. We also like to go there every now and then. But one has to be careful, as nails, screws and other small metal
    scraps could be on the ground. These could hurt dog paws or damage car tires.
    Well, it seems that this place is very tidy.
    Christel
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill always drives and he is very careful to watch for nails. He will see one in a public parking lot and turnaround to go back to pick it up. He sees things I never see, but then, he is the one who has to change the car tire when there is a flat.

      Scooter did not get to walk around because it was a Saturday and quite busy. I tried to let him out in a back corner but he was scared and wanted back in the car.

      Normally, no one other than the driver can go because the hitch cargo carrier is about 4 inches above the ground. Too much weight will make it drag over bumps. We purchased it years ago to hold luggage on the back of a van when we vacationed with the boys. The car is low to the ground but the van was higher.

      Whenever Reese comes home to visit, he gets to make a "dump run" with his truck. I told him that's what happens when you buy a truck - everyone needs to borrow it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jeannie and Scooter, What an amazing trip for Scooter! The Saver loves our dump. He comes home with more than he left which, sometimes, is really neat, especially if it's for my flowerbed. I do hope your tummy gets used to long trips in the car. Oh, the things you'll see and smell. Your fur is so shiny and pretty. What's your secret...not for me! Idgie, the cat wants to know.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Ms Sally, for being concerned about my tummy. Cars are terrifying because they move very fast, especially when Mom is driving. I am trying to learn to relax when I ride but it is hard.

      As for your gracious compliment about my fur, I am sorry to say but, I will not share any of my beauty secrets with a CAT! Do forgive me but cats upset me quite a bit. The stare at me and cause me to chase them. Please pass on my apologies to Idgie.

      I am extremely glad to here from you again - I missed you very much.

      Scooter

      Delete