Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July's Garden (2018)


July's garden has been a battleground.  Everybody and everything who has not contributed to the work has wanted my bounty.  Between critters, viruses, bugs and little rain, it has been rough, a typical July for middle Tennessee.


The cucumber, bean, tomato, pepper, carrot arch is looking odd - a bit lopsided.  The beans, tomatoes, peppers, and carrots are doing just fine.  It is the cucumbers that decided to quit.


The cucumbers did not like the rain at the beginning of the month and caught a virus.  The plants on the right side of the picture died first from (I think) downy mildew (Pseudoperonospora cubensis) and it slowly spread to the left side.  Pale yellow spots appeared on the upper surface of the leaves, which later turned brown.  It was caused by wet or very humid conditions.  At first, I treated them with fungicides but it only slowed their demise.  There are two plants remaining which produce about two cucumbers every day.  It won't be long before they too are gone.  

Throwing money at the problem was my next solution so I purchased additional seeds.  Natsu Fushinari and Tendergreen Burpless Cucumbers are two varieties which are supposed to be hardier.  They are planted with the herbs and hopefully, will do better.  How our weather can be dry yet humid is hard to understand.


Behind the cucumber/bean arch is three rows which have blended together.  It will get worse before it gets better. The paths are still underneath if you know where to step. The sweet potato vines are on the far right, and then two rows of bush beans with tomatoes to the far left.  The arch is covered in Calico pole Lima beans.


Behind the Lima bean arch is the melon, bean, potato patch.  The potatoes are in the front row, the green beans are in the second row and the melons are in the back area.  Everything is running together.  It doesn't matter because the potatoes grow underground, the beans grow up and the melon vines twine between.  It does require careful stepping when harvesting.

The melons are producing abundantly. Since I always like to experiment, I chose some of the mixed seeds which were saved from the year I planted 26 different varieties of melons.  I love surprises.

The red plant is an amaranth volunteer.


Each melon is precariously balanced on top of an empty DVD case.  It keeps them above the ground which stops rotting.





Moon and Stars watermelons are easy to identify because both the leaves and the melon have small yellow spots.


The tomato plants are getting tall.  If you are wondering what happened to the tomatoes, go ask the THIEVING, SNEAKY, RACOON WHO ATE OR SMASHED THEM AS HE PULLED THEM OFF THE VINE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!!!!!


I will move on to something happier.  The left side of the garden was the last area to be planted.  The far right is the watermelon/strawberry patch.  Next toward the left is the okra/herb bed and the last two are the winter hoop houses.  As spots become empty, more seeds are planted.  The white bucket is full of water and is used to keep seedlings damp. 


This is the strawberry patch where ONE watermelon seed fell and sprouted without any assistance from me.  It has spread all over the area.  This is only one plant!  The strawberries are dormant now and do not seem to mind being over-run with vines.


These three melons are growing from the same plant. They aren't ripe yet and I am watching closely.  Knowing when to pick them is not something I have ever learned.


To the left of the watermelon/strawberry patch is the row of herbs.  The okra is loving the heat and the various herbs are doing well enough.  


The two hoop house rows have some varieties that are doing great, others are struggling. Using the covers in the summer has worked great at keeping the cabbage looper butterflies away; however, it has not helped against any other bugs.  They seem to materialize out of thin air under the hoop houses.  The covers don't cool it down underneath but instead hold the heat inside.  

It appears they need more water in the heat than the other summer vegetables.  I don't know if it is because I was late getting them out so they aren't well established or if they just need more water. They also wilt during the heat of the day if they get the least bit dry.  The empty areas will be planted with winter vegetables when I get closer to fall.  It is too early to start the winter seeds.


The Michilli cabbage has been allowed to grow so I could see how it looked without me constantly harvesting the outer leaves.  It has struggled in the heat and dry conditions.  It began turning yellow so I gave it some fertilizer - it didn't help - it was time to go.


The first picture below shows the easy to cut root; however, when I removed the ravaged leaves, not much of the plant was left.  The center picture is how it would look if purchased in the grocery store, that is assuming you could find it in the store.  The last picture on the right is the pile of leaves which were not edible due to spoilage.  I removed half of the plant.  It was struggling to keep all of the leaves alive, even the damaged ones.  This was a waste of its energy (but educational) because I need it for food, not for looks.  For me, it is better to harvest the outer leaves as it grows to avoid tossing so much of the plant later.

The last row will be the second winter hoop house. The bare area has been planted with sugar beets and the next area with saved seeds from the bag of "assorted unknowns."  More surprises ahead.





My garden has been much smaller and planted way later than any previous year.  It's quickly catching up and is producing more than enough for us to use.  The cucumbers have failed me but hopefully, I can still get enough to make pickles before the weather turns cold.  The delicious, fresh food it produces is worth all the hard work.

UPDATE:  I called Mom yesterday to let her know about this post.  She replied, "I didn't see Scooter.  Where is he?"

Well, since we have some wicked raccoons ravaging our garden, ripping ripe tomatoes from the vine, slurping syrup from the hummingbird feeder and stealing bread from the birdfeeder, Scooter has chosen to remain hidden.  That is fine with us.

Racoons are often carriers of "racoon disease" (baylisascariasis) which dogs and other small animals can easily catch if they come in contact with their feces.  The larvae is known to migrate to the brain, where it affects the nervous system in dogs.  It can be treated, but it is a horrible illness.  We have chosen to be overly cautious until we can get rid of the little monsters.

"Are they gone yet?"


14 comments:

  1. You grow so many melons. Do you eat them all yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah! Greens, onions and beans will be shared, but melons, no way. I am selfish and greedy...and they will all probably ripen at different times. Dustin (son #2) is still living at home and his stomach is a bottomless pit. The chances of me being able to pick them when ripe and not green or rotten is about one in a million. It was the lesson I learned when I grew 26 different varieties, each kind looks different when ripe. Some change colors, some develop small cracks, others become shiny or anyone of a dozen different signs. I realized I needed to stick to one or two types so I could learn when they were ready. I didn't think the seeds were viable when I planted them and was surprised when they ALL sprouted. None of these seeds will be saved because I am sure they will cross with each other. I think some were already crossed because one of the banana melons is not shaped like a banana.

      Delete
  2. I love how prolific your garden is! All that fresh produce! Yum! I particularly love your vine arches -- what a clever idea! I never thought to do it with anything except flowers, but vines are perfect for it. I also love that you are repurposing the old cd containers! All of which is to say, your garden gives me garden envy! :) My balcony plants half died when I went away for a week and couldn't water them, so they're behind in their production. Ah well, at least this year I have some baby lettuce growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envy of your balcony garden which does not have wild hungry critters! But Margaret, you are growing a little baby girl! That is the best prolific garden in the world.

      Delete
  3. As I did not know what RACOON means in German, I quickly looked up. (I did suppose it must be some sort of a little devil)Oh, now I know. It is what we call a Waschbär. It is said that these
    animals ravage picnic areas and gardens too. And they proliferate. What can be done against this
    pest? Don´t they have enemies? Can their fur be used?
    Yes, you are right, melons cross with each other very easily. So it is better to buy seeds.
    Your variety of melons is huge! So there is a great chance that Dustin will leave some for you.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raccoons are horrible little animals. They eat everything, carry diseases and have hands like humans, not paws like dogs. They can do anything we can do. I put netting over my tomatoes and they lifted the black netting during the dark night to pick the tomatoes! A friend told me she watched through a window as one unlocked the latch on her trash can. I don't think they are good for anything except target practice. Bill caught one in the trap and it was small which means we have a bunch. They suddenly appeared when I began watering the garden.

      You know how I can't throw away old seeds. It drives me crazy. It is so much fun seeing what will grow. I do hope my new cucumbers will live. They are about 3 inches tall and so far no diseases.

      Delete
  4. Hi Scooter's Mom!
    We are in the same predicament here in New England. Humid and dry...today was a scorcher. I took a trip to Lowe's to see what plants were on the markdown rack and they all had powdery mildew! The shelves were nearly bare. Very weird weather this summer.
    I'm so happy to see that Scooter has a strong sense of self-preservation. But, he's going too far! Tell him to come out of the closet. Woodland critters are so cute until they make a meal of your meal!
    To add to a weird response to your blog, I'm raising butterflies. It's so much fun. Black Swallowtail chrysalis' should be ready to become butterflies any time now and Monarchs are just starting to chrysalis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I don't wish our horrible hot humid dry weather on anybody. It isn't fair that you get freezing winters and now wretched summers!

      I wish you still had your blog because I would love to see how you raise butterflies! Surely they would eat less food than my boys did.

      As for Scooter, I will tell him you said but he is not willing to risk anything for tomatoes or Lima beans. He would fight for a hamburger.

      Delete
  5. You have lots of melons, to state the obvious. I'm trying not to have melon envy! This year, after my rare, amazing success of 5 watermelons last year......0 have set so far. I finally got a bush to grow, the other ones died, or are about 2 inches tall. Still. I did see a 3-inch cantaloupe, though.

    There is an acorn squash that has decided to over-run the melons, some cucumbers, the Serrano peppers and Jalepenos, and the potatoes. So we dug the potatoes, chopped some squash leaves off, and trained some vines over to where the potatoes had been. I'm hoping it gives the peppers a chance. I thought it was a bush variety, but boy was I wrong.

    I got enough corn for tonight's dinner from our 4 foot by 4 foot patch. I planted a succession of kinds in 4 foot squares (for pollination) and this one we started eating today was started in the green house and transplanted. It's an early kind (Sugar Buns), speeded up by starting starts, and I'm pleased with the results.

    The bush green (Blue Lake) and yellow (Carson) beans have produced way more than I needed. So, we canned another 7 quarts yesterday. (This from a woman who has enough beans for the next year with no problem...) I though I was planting a ridiculously small amount, but.....I'm pleased to have them. We'll eat them eventually.

    My greatest garden triumph, though, was finding 2 people who actually wanted zucchini. Boy did I load them up. I also shredded enough for the next year and froze the baggies.

    Like you, I have a strange assortment of plants that are doing really well and over-running me with produce, and other plants that seem to by dying. The tomatoes are not dead. I thought they were going to die, but so far, they just don't look great in some areas and are over 5 feet tall in others. Hmmmmm. I have pumpkins forming on the (Luxury) pumpkin....about 6 inches in diameter. That one is from lack of water in that spot. I don't know if it's too late to make them grow with extra water, since they are turning orange already.

    I love the challenge of gardening. It never fails to make me think, trying in vain to figure it all out. It gives me hope because there's always next year to make things work better and grow bigger or better in some way. And, it's such a miracle that tiny seeds can become so much. I don't blame you for wanting to grow them all. Years ago, we ordered packets for the children from a seed company I can't remember the name of right now, for 1 penny each. They were the odds and ends of seeds, all jumbled together. When they planted them, lots of different things came up. It was fun. They couldn't bear to throw their seeds away either at the end of their season:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to confess I have corn and zucchini envy. It is impossible for me to grow corn, never got more than 3 feet tall, except when Reese planted some and his got 16 feet tall. We took pictures and sent it to the local newspaper with Reese standing in front of them. He was young then which made them look even taller. I never took any pictures of mine, it was embarrassing.

      I also can't grow any summer squash. Last year I tried twice and this year I refuse to be disappointed again. I did plant two seeds from the Tahitian butternut squash that took over the compost pile last year. It is in the flowerbed around front but may not make it before frost. I won't be brokenhearted because we ate so much of it last year we may never eat it again. I still have an unknown amount of jars hidden in the dark corners of the basement.

      Bill is still fighting the raccoon. He saw it again in the garden last night and it ran when he flashed the light on it. At least it left the hummingbird feeder alone. I haven't been out to see if there is any damage yet.

      Delete
  6. Poor Scooter! But better safe than sorry.
    I envy you all those lovely melons, but not the nasty raccoons. That's one scourge we haven't seen here. We fight chipmunks, skunks, groundhogs, squirrels, bunnies. There are also deer and bears, but they don't bother us too much, 'cause we have a fence and there are easier pickin's around for them to devastate.
    Something takes bites out of some of my tomatoes. Earlier on, I was growing Swiss chard and something was nibbling, but we were harvesting some too, so I thought, well, OK, we'll share. But then they got greedy and at every last bit of it. :(
    I've been having good luck with Provider green beans and Danvers 126 carrots for several years now.
    I can't grow summer squash either. The last few years each plant gave me 1 or 2 squash and then got infected with something. My cukes look like the same thing is happening to them just now. I think we will have to solarize our small garden space over the winter and kill whatever is in the ground that keeps infecting things I plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The melons have ALL decided to ripen at the same time. I had to pick about 15 over a 3 day span. We have them stacked everywhere. Right now there are six left plus a huge fruit salad in the refrigerator. I don't know how they managed to all do that since they are different kinds and different sizes. The watermelons are still growing and they are HUGE!

      The raccoon, is still alive and well. He figured out the trap and won't go near it.

      Delete
  7. I would hide too! I hate it when animals raid the garden! I hope you've enjoyed some of your fresh goodies this month! Wish I was there when you cut one of those watermelons! My mouth is watering! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here too. The garden is in and I am up to my neck with things to can. I could use some help and would give you all the melons you could eat!

      Delete