Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year! (2020)


Happy New Year to everyone and it is time once again to hand out awards for the most exciting mailboxes I have driven past this year.  One would think I have photographed all of them in my area by now, but it seems there are always surprises.


This one wins the award for the most unusual...or weirdest.   The closer you look the stranger it becomes.  (I will explain.  It is a buffalo balanced precariously on top of a pole about to jump into the abyss and below is a golden orb spaceship landing on a concrete eagle.  At least that is what I see.)


The most creative use of junk lying around the garage award went to a trucking company that had two mailboxes made from a truck tire, axels, and rims.   


The most innovative award is presented to this mailbox with a solar light installed on top.  If they had put the light inside so you would avoid being stung by a wasp when you reached to the far back late at night while grabbing the electric bill, they would have won first prize.


The most indestructible:  made with iron pipes set in concrete.  I pity the fool that veers off the road and hits this invincible monster.


The laziest problem solver:  the area around the fire hydrant was being repaved.


So some goofus stuck their mailbox into one of the pipes that protect the hydrant from being hit by cars.  What happens when there is a fire?  Will the firemen need to stop and remove the mailbox before they can hook up to the hydrant?  Seconds count in an emergency.


The safety award is shared between the Lowes and Endsley families for finding a way to avoid falling in a ditch when getting their mail.



I was tickled pink when I saw this lighthouse mailbox.  It was unusual, original, one of a kind and deserved to be featured in my famous New Year's post...until I discovered another one right around the corner.  Someone is a copycat!  Shameful!  No awards for lack of creativity.

A mailbox painted lavender to match the gutters on a very purple house.  Would that be a frugal award for using up the leftover paint?


These two had the prettiest flower beds.



The owner of this mailbox received it as a gift when he retired from working at the railroad for forty years.  He caught me taking a picture so I had to ask.


Which makes me wonder if this homeowner is a contractor?


But what about these two? What could they mean?  If I could remember how to get back to these houses, I might knock on their doors to ask them the story behind their mailboxes.



These receive an honorable mention.



A new category has been added this year: mailboxes decorated for Christmas.  Why? Just because.





The winner for the best decorated mailbox has a cedar tree growing out of the top!  It must be watered all year so this was quite a challenge, except that cedar trees grow everywhere, even in rocks.  I hate cedar trees, but this deserves to win! Kudos!



7 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure have found some great mailboxes. I don't think I have seen that many in all my years, though I have seen a few good ones. So many times they are where I cannot stop...or even back when Roger did the driving. I loved seeing all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually took a back road home yesterday because I told Bill I will need some for next year's post. I keep thinking there can't possibly be any I have missed. There was a good one we passed but it was just over a steep hill and it was pouring rain. There was no where to pull over. If I ever go back that way, I will need to pull down their driveway and park. That's when people look out their windows, thinking they have company. I smile and wave, grab the picture then hop in the car and run.

      Delete
  2. The mailbox with a convenient seat ... they must write a LOT of letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would prefer one with a trash can to hold junk mail!

      Delete
  3. Concerning mailboxes the inhabitants of Tennessee must be full of imagination.
    My favorite one is number 1220 in the flower bed. Very pretty!
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all wonderful! There is just something about seeing a mailbox on a country road that says "home".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I am going to be looking at mailboxes where ever I go.

    ReplyDelete