Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March's Garden (2020)


March has been rainy, miserable, gloomy and depressing - just like my mood. We watched the weather report constantly looking for a dry moment. In desperation, I hand-cleared the raised areas beside the shed (in the rain) and planted some lettuce. At least something got planted.

The stuff piled up and sticking out from behind the shed are the pieces from Reese's aquaponics greenhouse.  He will probably never live here again so we have disassembled it and have it almost ready to move.  I refuse to let his dream of owning his own aquaponics business die.  We have it ready so he can set it up again someday when the time is right.


It has been a relief to be able to harvest fresh salads and not visit the grocery store. The Chinese Coronavirus has arrived in my neighborhood and it has affected my family and friends. Bill, Dustin, and I saw the trainwreck coming, self-isolated early and have not had any problems.


This row is all that is left from the first hoop house.  Even though the sun hasn't shone, it has been warm enough to remove the covers.  Most of the winter vegetables are gone but what is left has thankfully burst to life.  There has been food for us to eat, not all we wanted, but enough since we are not wasting a single leaf.


Sugar Beets and Afina Cutting Celery were small plants last fall crowded under the fast-growing vegetables but now there is room for them to grow.


Below is what is left of the second hoop house: garlic, onions, Scarlet Kale and an ample supply of weeds.  All will be harvested soon so there is no need to waste my time weeding...it's not like we are stuck at home with anywhere fun to go.



The middle of the garden is still under leaves and will be planted soon.


Three days ago we had a day and a half without rain. Bill rushed out and managed to plow part of the garden (before the rain returned that night.) There was enough time to broadcast seeds from my bag of assorted unknowns.


This was the first time lettuce plants have survived all the way through the winter under a hoop house.  I discovered the secret - planting extra.


When we dismantled the greenhouse, we moved its railroad ties to the back corner of the garden to create a large mulch pile.  My property is full of huge boulders and there is an odd-shaped rock in the back corner of the garden.  It has kept us from plowing or mowing this area so it often grows into a wild mess.  The left side has ditch daylilies and the far right has dormant Four O'Clocks.


The daylilies are sprouting.


We named the rock "the dinosaur bone" because it looks just like a fossilized bone.  Doesn't everybody name the rocks in their yard?


At present, everything here is uncertain. As the death angel passes over we are sheltering in place and preparing for the days of darkness ahead.  Plans are to make the garden larger since we don't know how many friends, family members, and neighbors we might be feeding. Forgive me for not posting more often, but my heart is just too heavy.

Last Month's February's Garden (2020)
Last Year's March Garden (2019)
March's Garden (2018)
March's Garden (2017)
Aquaponics Dreams
Through the Garden Gate

16 comments:

  1. I hope you will have more sunshine next month. Glad you self isolated early and I am sure with your amazing vegetable garden that it will keep you going in the months ahead. Take care and stay safe. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, if I can just get out and dig in my flowers, all will be well. I tried lighting a candle to cheer me up and it didn't have a wick! If only the sun will shine. (Whine, whine, whine.)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see your post. I'd been thinking of you yesterday, wondering how you were doing. I'm happy to see so many people interested in gardening this year, and think the world will be a better place on the other side of this. We're also thinking of growing more, with the idea we may need to help some folks. Extended rainy days can surely be dreary. I hope you have an abundance of sunshine and flowers to cheer you in the coming weeks. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern, Laurie. We FINALLY had some sunshine today and I got out and walked in circles around the house. Scooter made the first trip, then decided to sit on the porch and watch me as I passed by. He seemed quite confused by my behavior as in, "Why aren't you going anywhere?" It has cheered my mood a bit.

      Delete
  3. I have a great-niece who is an NHS community nurse in Devon. Single mother with 3 small children. So many frontline workers out there so we can shelter at home.

    We attempted to order groceries online. Next delivery slot ... 8 May ... in theory, after our lockdown is over, We will brave the mall, carefully, next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, be proud of your great-niece for what she is doing and thank her for me. I had to visit my local doctor today and it was a different world. All were wearing masks, gloves, the doors were wide open, the carpet taped in paths so no one would get close, a team met me at the front door and took my temperature from a distance. It was a blessing for me that medical help was available and that they were willing to brave the risk to themselves to help others.

      Delete
  4. Jeannie, I understand very well that you are not in the mood to post on your blog in these dark
    days. We are all in an exceptional situation, be it in America or in Europe. We all do not know how the next days and weeks will be. We have no experience and even experts have different opinions. This gives us a feeling of being helpless. The height of the pandemic is not reached
    yet. That is what experts say.
    Nevertheless we all want to do the best we can. More is not possible.
    It is a good idea to make your garden larger. Grow lots of different beans as they are such a rich source of protein and many potatoes as they contain healthy carbohydrates. Swiss chard is
    a good stand-by and fast growing leaf salads brighten up our meals. If carrots grow well in your
    garden give them a nice place. And many plants for herbal tea.
    Christel




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the pandemic is only gaining steam and the worst is yet to come. It is the innocent and helpless who will suffer and die and that is what breaks my heart.

      I have planted more Swiss Chard, it seems that is going to be a staple in my garden now that I have found varieties with better flavor than Ford Hook. Beans are a good idea because they are something that will be easy to share with others. Finding potato seeds has been impossible but I will ask when I visit the Amish next week. They may not be selling to anyone due to the lock down and I won't know until I get there (no phones). So far there are no roadblocks or forced quarantines in my area. If only I could grow zucchinis like everyone else then I could feed an army.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I am with you on sun...we had it all day today. Soon, we will be looking forward to rainy day. LOL I am amazed at what survived....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep going out checking to see if the roof is still on when we get up in the morning. About five nights ago we had a tornado fly over our house. It woke me and Dustin (who sleeps upstairs) and we stood at the window and watched it. Since it was dark all we could see was wild lightning bolts coming from one spot in the sky and not spread all across like a normal storm. We knew it was a tornado. We discussed going to the basement, but both of us just stood there numb. Just another disaster. He said, "If we blow away, we blow away." I replied, "Whatever."

      Delete
  6. I understand the heavy heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today I turned off the computer, the news, and the phone. I curled up on the couch with a good book, "The Prince and the Pauper" by Mark Twain. Sometimes you just have to stick your head in the sand to survive.

      Delete
  7. I think you may be having another sunny day today, if I looked in the correct place through online weather. I sure hope so!
    Yes, good books are such a great escape. I am fortunate to have about 12 books checked out from the library - now I can take my good ole time with them!
    Tell Scooter to please work harder at cheering Mom up.
    My fallback through all this is to trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding...
    I keep y'all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, the kind words are very appreciated. I needed to hear them. As for prayers, please continue remembering us. Mine seem to not make it any higher than our ceiling.

      The sun has shone for two days in a row and it won't rain again until Monday. My spirit has soared! I got to go out in the garden and dig in the dirt - nothing is more fun. We also set on the front porch this evening and watched the sunset. It felt so good. As long as I don't read the news, I am fine.

      Delete
  8. I love your garden, as always! I'm making another attempt to leave a comment. I changed some settings on my computer, and have high hopes. I hope you guys are doing well, and are staying healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Success! Your comment has come through. I have missed hearing from you!

      Delete