Saturday, February 29, 2020

February's Garden (2020)


Sometimes you can't win for losing.  Last month I complained about a slug infestation so I left the hoop houses open for the birds. Without warning, a snowstorm slipped in during the dark of night.  The covers had been removed so everything was blanketed in snow.  Nothing was damaged because it melted quickly.



Today the garden is almost empty - only enough is left for a few more meals. It is a disappointment when compared to past gardens in February.  Next winter we want more.


To achieve that goal, I must overcome two major failures from this past year: summer drought and an early hard freeze.  Many plants died during the summer drought and the early, unexpected freeze that killed 60% of the winter garden seedlings (the temperature went from 75 to 26 degrees (F) in one day).


Working harder is not an option since I am physically unable to do more. Working smarter will be my plan.  


To combat the drought, I plan on organizing my garden better so water won't be wasted.  Water guzzlers will be planted together and next year's hoop houses will be side by side so the sprinkler can reach all of them at once.  Installing a drip system is also under consideration.

To fight the early, hard freeze, all hoop houses will be installed long before any chance of a hard frost. In a normal year (does that even exist any more?) the weather slowly cools so the plants can adjust.  Using a double layer of coverings for the first hard frost might help so it will be tried. 

Assorted Swiss Chards

Enough seeds and seedlings were planted, but too many were killed by the harsh weather. As a test, my favorite buttercrunch lettuce was never harvested and it managed to grow all winter. It is possible to grow over 300 different varieties of vegetables deep into the winter in lower middle Tennessee zone 6b/7a. Winter vegetables are rare and awesome - next year I will have more. I just need to figure out how to do it.

Buttercrunch Lettuce

Last Month's January Garden (2020)
Last Year's February Garden (2019)
February's Garden (2018)
February's Garden (2017)
A Snow Day Adventure
Through the Garden Gate

8 comments:

  1. Last week, I found lots of slugs munching my parsley plants, which I promptly picked off and relocated. It's a wonderful thing to harvest from the garden, whatever time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaving the hoop houses open did allow the birds to find the slugs on my winter greens, but then the surprise snow arrived. I wonder if it was the snow, not the birds that got the slugs? Who cares as long as they are finally gone.

      Delete
  2. I love hearing about and seeing your garden...no one I knew ever did this. So it is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why other people don't have winter gardens...well, except for the hard work, of course.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately we often have to learn from our mistakes. But I cannot see that you had made any.
    The climatic course of our climate is different from year to year and unpleasant surprises can
    happen. Farmers and gardeners know this so well. After some years one knows which vegetables are
    the most reliable. That buttercrunch lettuce seems to belong to them.
    Surely your hoop houses are the very best idea.
    Spring is on the way, so you will soon have fast growing greens again like mixed lettuce and
    radishes and green onions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never fail to be impressed by your garden! Whenever I see photos, I always crave fresh greens! That buttercrunch lettuce! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same drastic weather here in Baton Rouge one mild fall night; from 86 degrees Nov 11, to 27 degrees Nov 12 the next morning. All dead! The first froze, the second two drowned, BUT the 4th planting of English peas did great! Hoping for a good Spring garden for all of us before the oppressive heat! Best wishes to you and Scooter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had good luck with English peas. I love them but can't ever seem to harvest enough to preserve. It gets blistering hot when they are about to start producing. Picking them fresh and eating them while working in the garden seems to be what I always do. Walking past one, popping it in my mouth might be the reason there isn't enough to freeze.
      Scooter says, "Zzzzzzzz" as he snoozes in Pack Leader's lap at the moment.

      Delete