Sunday, March 15, 2020

Today's Blooms, March 15, 2020


March has been its usual rainy, cool, and gloomy self - a perfect environment for the Chinese Wuhan Coronaviruses to grow and spread.  However, in spite of the depressing weather, my spring flowers have faithfully sprouted and bloomed.  How they know the date on the calendar from deep inside the dark earth is beyond my simple understanding.





The pansies Reese sent me last year which he grew at his greenhouse job in North Carolina have come alive and are enjoying what little bit of sunshine peeks behind the clouds.


He has generously shipped me more flowers (he's so sweet).  They do look a bit rough but so would you if you were crammed into a dark, tiny box (to save postage) and shipped from North Carolina to Tennessee.  If the sun ever decides to shine again, they will recover.


The drab weather has even made Scooter ornery.  When asked to pose for a picture in the flower bed walkway in front of a lovely blooming weed, he refused to cooperate.

"Nope.  Not opening my eyes and smiling - life is too depressing."


"Please Scooter, pretty please, smile for the camera."


"O.k., Mom, I will cooperate as long as you don't take a silly picture of me with weeds sprouting out of the top of my head!"


As for flower bed plans and dreams for this summer, nothing much will happen; our efforts will be directed toward the vegetable garden. We are hunkering down waiting for the Chinese Wuhan Coronavirus bioweapon to arrive.  Bill works from home on his computer.  Mom's assisted living facility is in lockdown - no person or package in or out.  We appreciate their abundance of caution.  As soon as we can plow, the vegetable garden will be planted, perhaps doubled and life here at home will go on as normal, but not really.  Will life ever really be normal again?


Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you;
hide yourselves for a little while until the fury has passed by...

Isaiah: 2:20 ESV

A Stranger Arrives Home (The story of Reese's exciting job)

13 comments:

  1. Scooter is cute, weed or no weed, smile or no smile. Love those grape hyacinths. Mine aren't blooming yet. Good luck with your veggie garden. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of seeds but must order more. There is nothing more fun than ordering seeds. Unless it is dreaming about ordering seeds! I think I am cracking up. The sun must shine soon!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blooms! And Scooter is so cute!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms. Lea:
      Yes, I know I am cute and it is time the whole world realizes that fact.
      Love, Scooter

      Delete
  3. I am so ready for some blooms in our area!...just longing for some color. Yours are so pretty. I LOVE those pansies...love them all really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rose, it won't stop raining and the sun won't shine. I am going stir crazy. I took one of the pots of pansies and set it on a table under my living room window so I can see it all the time. It has helped a bit.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jeannie, thanks for the bloom photos! (We'll take any we can get.) And the excellent Bible verse. : )
    I am expanding my little garden plot this year to try growing some of your wonderful watermelon seeds.
    I like your hat. I hope you'll get some sunshine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You like my hat! It is the plastic one I got on clearance for $1.00 at the end of the season last year because a horse at my favorite straw hat.

      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-last-strawhat.html

      I can't wait to hear how the watermelon grows for you. Mine died during the drought but I still have plenty of seeds left. Oh, to taste a delicious, fresh summer watermelon again...or a fresh tomato...I am really ready to start planting but I can hear the rain hitting the roof right now. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. Yes, spring has come finally. No matter how the weather might be. The flowers in your garden are
    just the same as in mine. These blue grape hyacinths have a strange odor(my opinion), but insects
    love them. They just grow everywhere, sometimes I have to remove them.
    I know that these flower seedlings that Reese sent you have given you great joy. Surely they will develop very well once they grow in your garden.
    It is a very good idea to grow more vegetables this year. Try it once more with potatoes, please.
    They can be cooked in so many delicious ways. Just buy some seed potatoes in your garden center.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes will definitely be grown in my garden this year. We visited five grocery stores this past weekend and the only potatoes we could find were some rotten ones priced at $5 for ten pounds - twice last year's price. I told Bill we weren't hungry enough yet to eat rotten potatoes; although that may change if things gets worse. The stores's supplies were half-empty due to people preparing to quarantine but everyone was polite, orderly and not panicked. It was nothing like what you see in the viral clips. The atmosphere was like day before Thanksgiving, everyone loading up for a holiday.
      We are officially now in self-quarantine and I have no desire to get back out and go anywhere.

      Delete
  6. Interesting set of blooms and super-cute Scooter. I'm glad to have found you. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blooms and darling dog! Stay safe, enjoy your garden...and dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeannie-your flowers helped to brighten the day. The garden gives peace and hope during these difficult times. I loved your photos of Scooter, who finally gave you a smile and the last photo of you sitting in the garden speaks a thousand words. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete