Saturday, February 27, 2021

February's Garden (2021)

February 16, 2021

February has not been an easy month for the garden. The first snow arrived on the 7th.  It began with rain and high winds before turning into snow.

February 7, 2021

This year there were ten tunnels, far more than any other year and there were not enough wire supports, landscaping staples, and barely enough covers. It became painfully obvious the wire supports were too far apart and so, began bending and sagging during this snowstorm. Sections were drooping low enough to flatten some of the plants. I feared this would happen during installation in the fall but decided to take a chance and try to stretch what was available.


I gambled and lost.



There were places where the wind had blown the tunnels open and the plants were exposed.  The covers were frozen to the ground and ripped when pulled. 


It would have been impossible to walk in the garden without sinking in the mud if it wasn't for the hay in the aisles.  This is the reason I went In Search of a Bale of Hay. 


We needed fresh vegetables.  This bed was chosen because it has the least amount of plants.  It will be cleared out next and prepared for spring planting.  



Instead of picking a few of the outside leaves, each entire plant was harvested.  They were sliced at the root because it was quick and I was cold. Taking a large amount saves me trips to the garden. 



This is what I harvested while the tunnel was open. 


After the snow melted, two surprise packages arrived.  The horse trainer's manure spreader had broken, another part is on order so I got everything when they cleaned the stables.  This was the best Valentine gift ever!

February 10, 2021

A little over a week later, The Great Snowstorm of 2021 arrived, and this time, I couldn't even find the garden.  There was over an inch and a half of ice under a thick layer of snow.  The weight bent the wires even more.  I hadn't made any repairs because I just didn't want to go outside to fight the bad weather.

February 16, 2021

After the snow melted, it was easy to see everything that needed attention. Before next year, it will be necessary to either have fewer beds or get more supplies.  

February 22, 2021


After the covers were removed, most plants were fine and will rebound.  

February 23, 2021

However, some were smashed hard.

Serifon, Green in the Snow

On this bed, the cave-in damaged these collards pretty badly.  The top leaves are broken.  At the next harvest time, they will be picked, the damaged areas removed and then cooked in beef broth with lots of pepper for Bill. I am leaving the houses open for a few days to see if they can revive.  The wires must be straightened before the next snowstorm.

Collard Greens

Decent weather is predicted for a few days so I am leaving them open.  The vegetables are hardy enough to withstand temperatures down in the lower thirties (F).  March can go either way - snowy or warm - winter or spring.  It's a gamble - all of gardening is a gamble.

19 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to see how well the plants made it through, but then again I don't know a thing about gardening in that kind of weather. In fact I don't know much about gardening at all, I've never had any luck. I hope it warms up there soon! We are already having a bit of a heat wave here in Florida. I'm sure going to miss the nice cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a heat wave here also. Tomorrow it will be up to 73 degrees (F) and I am shocked! This is February and this is very unusual. Of course, it is pouring rain and storming but still, I will take any warmth I can get. It is really making me yearn for spring.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of snow. Gardening is definitely an adventure each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year the weather is different. I checked back on my past garden posts and it is never the same. Planting by the calendar has never worked for me. Now I am wondering if we are going to have an early spring?

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'm amazed that so many plants made it through just fine. It sounds like most of us will have a warm March, so maybe even more plants will bounce right back. Here's to a great harvest in the weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was warm, up in the 60s and company was coming for dinner. I went out early and picked a laundry basket full and then sent a week's worth of salad home with them. If this warm weather holds (which is what the long term weathermen are saying), the plants are going to begin growing again. There is really quite a lot of stuff still growing.

      Delete
  4. Those harvested greens look gorgeous! It's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the picture of your chocolate cream pie with chocolate chips on top that you texted me made me hungry!

      Delete
  5. That’s lots of snow, but plants are surprisingly doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures don't look real but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to work a photoshop program.

      Delete
  6. Thats not a problem my garden has to face - extreme heat at the other end of the scale, yes, but snow no! The plants seem to have coped, which is great.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. That snow is ... wow, very pretty! But a thick layer of ice, and still your carefully chosen plants bounce back. Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looked so cold when you harvested some veggies. Hopefully the weather will improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's promising seeing green vegetables and snow together. I am so happy for you that you were able to harvest despite the winter we are having. Spring will be here soon...well almost!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how well the plants survive despite all that snow! That was a great Valentine present! Hope you can soon get back out into the garden. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is shining, my Valentine present is awaiting me and I am heading out as soon as it warms up more. I'm so happy to see the sun again.

      Delete
  11. Well, we have sure had some warm weather this past week...we had a day in the high 60's....hope you got the same. I hope lots of plants do survive...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a lot of snow!!! No wonder those poor tunnels collapsed. Hopefully, you can get more supports for next year, because I can't see you actually cutting down on your gardening:). Just sayin'. :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me too well. I am already trying to figure out how to plant even more.

      Delete