Monday, October 23, 2017

Water Runs Uphill in My Neighborhood


This is a small country road that I travel often.  Every time I pass over this small bridge, I look at the water below and it appears to be running uphill.  It drives me crazy.  I have walked all around the area, followed the flow of the creek around the neighborhood, traced it on Google maps and even researched the ground elevation on topography maps.  This bothers me.  Sounds crazy, I know, but listen to my evidence before you decide to lock me up in the insane asylum. 

The picture above is looking west and the land is sloping left (south) which is lower than the land on the right (north) side the picture.  However, the creek runs from the left side to the right side (uphill). 

The picture below is the same bridge heading east and the land is sloping toward the right (south) side of the picture.  However, the water flows from the right to the left side (uphill) of the picture.


It is confusing looking at a picture so I showed the landscape from both directions at a distance.  I walked up closer to the bridge and once again, the right (south) side is lower than the left (north) side but the water flows from right to left. 


I walked on top of the bridge and turned right facing south to show the bottom of the shallow creek.  The water is running toward me while I am standing on the bridge but it stops before it reaches the guardrail.  It does not flow to the road but sinks underground and does not reappear on the other side of the road.


I turned around and walked to the other (north) side of the road.  No creek, just a field which slants upward.   


This is the same bridge on another day (facing east) after an extremely heavy rain.  Notice how the bank is higher on the left side of the picture even though it is running from right to left.


Once again I walked to the bridge and faced right (south).  Today the water is flowing under the bridge to the other side of the road.


I put both pictures side by side to show the difference. 


The left (north) side of the road where the water is flowing up the hill past the telephone pole.


This is both pictures placed side by side for easier comparison.


I walked up on the bridge and turned left (north).  When you look at the bottom of the telephone pole you can see the water piling up as proof it is flowing north.


According to the topography maps, it is flowing downhill.  However, the maps are provided by the government, but who can trust the government?  I am not a scientist - there must be a logical explanation as to why it is really flowing uphill.  Perhaps it is an antigravity step-up vortex hidden under the bridge made from metamaterials that causes an inverse water slope for turning the runoff into a creek again.  More likely there is a massive top-secret H20 atomic accelerator hidden deep underground altering the gravity in my neighborhood.  If so, it could also explain why my bathroom scales are never accurate and weigh me too heavy.  I don't have an answer but I am sure it can't be an optical illusion or that I am wrong. Surely, everyone will agree I do not belong in an insane asylum.

8 comments:

  1. So THAT'S what's wrong with my scales!!! Glad to know it isn't me gaining weight:) Your explanation is SO much better!! Now, when it says I've lost a few pounds, I know it is accurate--just so that you are clear on that one--it's a selective secret gravity device:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it! I knew it! It is not a conspiracy theory but is really true! My slim down diet of pizza, pasta and potatoes is working but my bathroom scale is being manipulated. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the mysteries of nature. My first thought was that it has something to do with the flow of the underground stream....I'm no scientist, either....just trying to rationalize what isn't rational and deem you sane!
    BTW.....let me know how the diet goes....I've been searching for one like that since I was in my early 40's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish someone would deem me sane! My family certainly won't.

      As for the diet, if I discovered one that worked, I would market it to the world!

      Delete
  4. The laws of nature are unerring. So there will be a quite natural
    explanation for this "mystery".
    Maybe your husband could be the detective and investigate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an engineer and everything must be logical. We disagreed whenever we crossed over the bridge so I showed him the waterflow when it was flooded. His response, "Hmmp."

      He was the one who knew how to research the elevation topography maps because they were Greek to me. His second response was, "Hmmp. Maps say it is downhill."

      My response was, "Hmmp. Maps are wrong."

      End of conversation.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Scooter's thoughts are on a level above my comprehension.

      Delete