Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Pickin' Cotton

Today I will be linking up with other gardeners from around the world to celebrate Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day for November.  A certain sign it is Fall of the year here in southern Tennessee, USA, is seeing the white fields of ripened cotton. They are beautiful. I recently passed by a field ripe for pickin' and couldn't resist slipping in to pick a little.


Cotton is definitely a southern crop.  It requires heat and sun to develop because it is a tropical perennial grown as an annual.  They don't like wet feet so our weather is perfect, usually.




Planting begins mid-March through May. The blooms are self-pollinating meaning they don't need bees or wind.  After the bloom dries the boll forms with the seeds and cotton fibers growing inside. As summer ends, the leaves change color and drop off; the bolls begin to crack open and show the cotton fibers.



Fresh cotton feels much like a cotton ball bought from the store except it is softer since it's covered with a natural oil.  


White cotton is grown commercially because it can be dyed any color. There are other varieties which produce colors like brown, green, yellow, mauve, reddish and there is even a black cotton. There is a new movement toward raising the colored varieties since they require no pesticides to grow and no chemicals to dye the fabric.

Cotton is something I have never grown but would love to plant. I keep telling myself my garden next year will be smaller.  How do I do that when I can't stop wanting more plants?

4 comments:

  1. I've never even seen a cotton bush before, although I did know it grew on bushes:) Thanks for the great post. It's always so fun to see what things are like in other places. I'm with you--I should cut back on the garden, even though it's small, because we did not eat everything. But, I know me. Every inch I have will be filled, and I won't be able to stop myself next spring. Oh, well. I figured a long time ago that if that is my "vice," I'll take it! It beats drinking and smoking as far as habits go!!! So much healthier:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sight of this cotton field is impressive.
    I had seen this plant in florists´ shops only. The single stems are sold there as a decorative dried plant. It is an exotic plant for us.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah-Rah!!!!! My seeds came today! I was going to wait till next year to plant them, but I may plant two or three this year, just to see! Thank you so, so much. I loved seeing these plants. We were through Georgia a few years ago, and I got to see cotton growing...my first and last in actual life. I have no idea if the plants would have time to reach maturity here...sometimes winter/cold comes early, and other times I have wore short sleeves until after my birthday which is early November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad someone can use them and I hope they still germinate. Every year I try so many new things but just haven't had the room to try these. Post pictures as so I can watch them grow.

      Delete