Sunday, November 10, 2019

A Wonderful Weekend


At this moment, Scooter is snuggling beside me on the couch.  He jumps up behind my legs and pushes my feet forward so he has more room. Then he puts his head below the cushion (so his eyes are in the dark), goes to sleep and begins snoring loudly.  He is happy -  I am scrunched.


To my right is Bill reading the news on his computer.  He is thinking deeply but I doubt if it is good news.  


Directly in front of me are all three of my boys home for a short visit.  I feel like a mother hen with her little chicks cuddled closely under her wings. They are playing the video game Space Engineer which allows you to build factories, space stations and ships in outer space.  It is like a highly complicated game of legos inside your computer.  All my sons inherited their father's engineering brain so they love to design and build.  Their computers are linked so they work together.  Each one is wearing headphones so they can hear the sound effects of the game as they communicate.  They have also done this when living at their separate apartments in different states.  It is their way of relaxing.


Since I am not part of the game and can only hear half of their conversations, I hear some odd comments.  These are a few I have overheard today:

"Has your spacesuit ever run out of hydrogen while working in space?"
"Yes.  I died."

"Don't fly your ship into a rock.  You will regret it."

"Where are you?"
"I'm in the burning pile of wreckage floating by your window."


"I'm tired of mining dirt so I'm taking some of your resources."

"The Universe is really big."

"Before the day is over, I want to visit at least one planet."

"Let's take the Starship Enterprise for a spin around the block."


"GUYS!  My ship is floating away!"
"Engage your thrusters."
"I forgot to build one."
"Your tether will hold."
"I forgot that too!"
Amidst howls of laughter, a rescue operation ensued.


While taking a break from constructing spaceships, they returned to earth so we could have lunch with Nana at her new assisted living apartment.  She is quite happy living there and was pleased to see us.


Sometimes for a brief moment, life is perfect.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet. Your story about your sons had me laughing out loud. It also reminds me of my son and his friends when they play those games. He also has an engineering mind. The doggo story is sweet, too. My little guy (cockapoo) is a great source of joy, too. I'm glad you had a perfect day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Love your doggie story, he knows he's the boss. I had to laugh at him snoring under the pillow, lol.
    How nice that your sons all enjoy gaming together. So many families are at odds with each other these days. You are blessed, indeed.
    Have a great week!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, I loved those bits of conversation. Especially the last one. It almost had me howling with laughter, too.

    My cat tries to push me out of this chair, but then acts offended when I get up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scooter isn't offended when I get up, he takes advantage of the extra space and spreads out. When I return, he won't move until I start to sit down on top of him - only then will he budge.

      Delete
  4. Nothing like having (any of) the kids home but all is a real thing! We were happy as pigs n mud to have only one home over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Happy as pigs n mud"! I haven't heard that expression in years but it is exactly how I feel!

      Delete
  5. A happy mother (more than happy), a happy father and three enthusiastic boys playing a game
    that is completely unknown to me. I would even be unable to follow all this.
    Oh dear, incomprehensible words for me. A sort of foreign continent. And I even do not have any desire to learn anything about it. Scooter does the right thing. Sleeping.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! I do not understand how they do what they do on the game - building space ships in outer space is beyond my abilities. Napping on the couch with Scooter is much easier.

      Delete
  6. Scooter is so cute! I especially love that first photo!

    And my husband is also an engineering/computer guy, so any of those photos of your husband and sons could have been a photo of him. I'm just glad headphones were invented! It really is so nice that your sons all like each other and enjoy spending time with each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it but THANK GOODNESS for headphones!

      Delete