Sunday, January 26, 2020

Yard Art


As I travel the many country backroads in my area, I am amazed at the artistic creativity displayed in people's front yards.  No art museum can compete with the surprises I drive past.




Creativity and whimsy are never in short supply.




Country themes are popular because, well, we are in the middle of nowhere.  This is an "Eggcelsior Hotel" (a highfalutin name for a chicken coop. Sniff, sniff). 




Look close, it is a flying pig.


An abode of an ambitious artist emblazoned with so many knick-knacks,  the grass can't grow...which is a good idea come to think of it.



However, I have no explanation as to why a plastic, prehistoric Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton would be in someone's front yard so I stopped to ask. The owner was outside changing its costume from Halloween to Christmas.  He invited me to return after dark (when he switched it on) to watch the neighborhood children grab candy from the dinosaur's bucket while it growled, snapped and flashed red eyes. He thought it was funny. The kids got free candy. Everyone was happy.  (That was an explanation I would never have guessed. Hopefully, T-Rex behaved better dressed as Santa.) 


Not all artwork was located in welcoming, friendly yards.


Some places were downright inhospitable so I didn't get out of the car.


Of all the interesting places I passed this year, this yard had the most realistic statuary.  The horse sculpture on the left was obviously ceramic, but the peacock perched on the wagon was magnificent.  The details of the feathers were intricate, the colors were vibrant, it glowed in the shade of the tree and was so lifelike that it appeared to breathe.  It was as if I could reach out and touch it. 


The lady who lives at this house is a talented artist and I knew she would welcome me into her yard for a closer picture.  Wait a minute.  Did it just move?  Is he glaring at me?


Hey! Come back!  Let me take a picture or no one will believe me when I tell them of the wonders I have seen.


Wonder what I will find this coming year?

10 comments:

  1. Love yard art! We have a bit of our own. There's one house nearby with dozens of ceramic garden pieces, but they're sort of thrown hither and yon across the yard. Thanks for sharing. The cicken coop is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to see some chickens inside the coop wandering around but they didn't look out the windows when I snapped the picture.

      Delete
  2. These are all really cute! My favorite has to be the tree stump/gnome house. Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has inspired me to try and make a gnome house in the front yard with one of the Bodock/Osage Orange tree stumps that I HATE! Even burning the trunks hasn't killed the trees. Two of the stumps are still there. I am thinking about getting creative with them this spring.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you find the most fun stuff! There is a house about 3 blocks from here, that has all this 'yardart.' And some of it is so neat...but the first think he put up was something not for children to see...a great big green hand, and you can guess what it was doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to even try guessing! My mind is running wild with imagination!

      Delete
  4. I am still laughing at your peacock encounter, Jeannie. My favorite is probably the name of the chicken coup. My neighborhood is lacking in artistic creativity, I'm sorry to say. P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are people and you must have a neighborhood of artists also. Maybe they are waiting for someone else to break the ice and be crazy first. It could be you Pam! Jump off the cliff by doing building something outlandish (your garden is in perfectly good taste, no one could complain at the present) and see if anyone follows. Be daring! The worst thing that could happen (except for being laughed at) would be the department of codes giving you a ticket. I could never live in a subdivision that has an homeowners association.

      Delete
  5. In our daily life most of us are faced with so many laws, acts and rules, not few of them
    are even unnecessary or ridiculous and we feel that freedom is quite limited. That is why it
    is so important that we have the freedom to create art subjects the way we like it, be it
    a flying pig or a dinosaur skeleton. And if one says NO TRESPASSING it all right as well.
    That was really a great art show ! It seems that people living in the country have more fantasy.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people in the country have more freedoms, less government intrusion. I think that is the difference.

      Delete