Saturday, February 8, 2020

Snow Day Adventure


I awoke at sunrise yesterday morning to an unforecasted snowstorm.  Changing the prediction late at night to "light snow flurries possible" doesn't count as a fair warning in my opinion.



The family was asleep when I again checked the weather report (like they were going to be right this time after being so wrong yesterday?)  It was "supposed" to quickly warm up to the mid-forties, there had been a violent rainstorm the day before so the snow would not last long on the warm ground.  If I was going to play in the snow, it had to be now.


It was Bill's day off, he was sleeping late, surely he wanted to be awakened at dawn to see the snow?  Right?  



I said to him, "Earlier this week you said you didn't want to spend the weekend doing chores but instead wanted to do something fun.  Let's go driving in the snow!  You can fight the icy roads with the heater on high while I ride with the window down taking pictures.  It will be an adventure!"

He wasn't convinced but drug himself out of bed anyway.


It was a breath-taking winter wonderland!  The temperature was hovering at 31 degrees (F) so the wet flakes were huge and for a short while, it was magical.  However, the brown dappled horse was unimpressed - he's seen it all before.




Every scene was transformed, even the railroad tracks I cross daily became a mystical place. 


Since I had promised Bill an adventure (plus breakfast at his favorite restaurant), we turned down an isolated backroad with dangerous warnings.  Not a place to be after two days of heavy rain.


It was worth the risk for the views.  There was a large flock of turkeys stuck in the road unable to figure out how to fly over the fence to join the others in the field (turkeys are really stupid birds).


Their friends safely inside the protected field didn't seem to miss them.


As the snow began melting and the creeks rising, we began to see the reason for the warning signs.


Nope.  Not crossing that creek.  It was time to turn around and head to town for breakfast.  The adventure was ending.


It was marvelous for a little while, well, at least for me and then I spied these weather-beaten daffodils beside the road.  They are the first I have seen this year: now, I have hope spring will eventually arrive...someday.


Another stupid turkey link
Not Yet a Butterball

Linked up with: The Barn Collective @ Tom the Backroads Traveler

13 comments:

  1. I don't know where to begin...I so love these. It has been so long since we have took off in weather like this. Used to, I couldn't wait. Now I seldom risk it. I LOVE all the turkeys. We hardly see any now. There used to be places we could count on seeing them fairly often, and now I bet it has been a year or more in some of the places...one place has been so long I don't even remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally we would not risk it either, fear of sliding into a ditch is too real, but this time it was safe, well, mostly safe. The roads were warm and wet and the snow was rapidly melting. Bill is a good driver and I trust him. If it had been dangerously slick, he would not have ventured forth.
      It was a different story growing up with my late father, a Greyhound bus driver. The slicker and more dangerous it was, the more he loved it; however, he was a professional driver. He drove a big bus eight hours a day and handling a small (to him) car was easy. He delighted in slipping and sliding. We kids in the backseat (before seat-belts were invented) loved it. Mom never seemed to complain.

      Delete
  2. I knew there would be another snow because the last one was on the ground for more than three days. Wives tale or not, it's always right. This snow, however, was gone within 24 hours. Probably our last snow before Spring. Your photos are wonderful!!! Ya Ya Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome my Ya Ya Sister!!! I believe the wives' tale and watch the snow on my back deck. If it stays more that three days, it will snow again. Alas, this one is already far gone; however, there will be more. Our groundhog saw his shadow.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful pictures! My husband would not willing go for anything like this. If I woke him up to do anything like that, he would be mad for days, so glad that Bill was up to an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill knew I wasn't going to cook breakfast if I didn't get my way so an all you can eat bar was what he wanted. Seriously, he would rather do the driving than me. I am always looking at everything else but the road.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos, Jeannie! I love thr old barns, and those turkeys must have been super hungry to venture out in the winter wonderland. We got two inches of snow yesterday, all the while the weather station kept saying it was raining. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked the report earlier in the day because I had left my hoop houses open. If I had known what was going to happen, I would have closed them...but nooooooo! There wasn't any snow or rain in the forecast at all!

      Delete
  5. What fun---I am ready for an adventure too. We love our road trips whether they be short or long. Glad you had a goos time.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Wild Turkeys are smarter than they might appear. Their numbers have skyrocketed so they are doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, that was very enjoyable....especially since I didn't even have to turn the heater on high to enjoy the sights! LOVE the old barns and that beautiful dapple horse. And we see wild turkeys here but never THAT many! WOW! Love the railroad tracks too. Give your hubby an extra hug from all of us! That was the BEST ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful snow scenes!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a short winter intermezzo happens quite often here in February or March. At least once
    after daffodils are blooming. The sight of this winter wonderland might be very pleasant,
    but - honestly - I do not need it. So, look forward for lovely spring days ! Suddenly they
    will be here.
    Christel


    ReplyDelete