Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June's Garden (2020)


June's garden is too much food!  In my panic after seeing the grocery shelves empty, I overcompensated and planted too much.  Now that it is beginning to produce, we are swimming in food.  Bill says it is "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."


The short fence around the back half of the garden has worked to deter the armadillo.  It worked so well, we haven't seen it this month and are hoping it is gone forever. We are wise enough to realize another one will probably move in.

To the right of the fence in the last few inches of soil is a row of shelly beans.  The grass will invade and the lawnmower will throw grass over them but it won't matter.  It is a way of squeezing a little more out of the garden.


In a previous post, I declared there would be no experimenting this year. Only tried and true vegetables would be raised; well, as always, I changed my mind.  There are two yellow squash plants thriving.  Even though I have never ever been able to grow them because of squash vine borers, once again (for the millionth time) I will try again.  It is too early to know if my experiment will be successful.


Hanging on the tomato fence closeby is a Viva Trap that attracts and catches borers in a sticky residue.  These pictures were made the day it was hung up on June 4th so nothing is in the trap.  It is disgusting now (no up-close picture) and it is difficult to distinguish which parts belong to which bug.  There may be some squash vine borers stuck there or maybe not - can't tell.  Each trap will last 45 days and it cost $15.00 for two.  Borers can hatch twice each season so I am not sure two will last long enough. The questions I am asking are:  Will I get $15.00 worth of squash from my garden? Will it be necessary to buy more for the latter part of the season? It is still too early to know if they are effective and worth it.


The center of the garden is still not full because it has been difficult getting seeds to sprout.  They were purchased this spring from three different companies and were saved from last year.  I don't know what happened. There are so many different variables and it has been such a strange year that I don't have any theories.  Since it is too much stuff anyway, this isn't a problem.


The potatoes have stopped blooming and are beginning to turn yellow.  That is what it is supposed to do, but it makes me want to water and fertilize.  


The two rows of assorted greens are still producing enough for us.  Nothing else will be planted until it is time to start the winter garden in late August...which is a little over a month away!  Gosh.  Where did the time go this year?


At the far end of the garden beside the field is the row of tomatoes that were surrounded by lettuce.  All the lettuce has been eaten except for a few that are going to seed.  No red tomatoes yet but any day now the first one will be ready.


There is a Sugar Baby Watermelon rooted in the small empty spot at the beginning of the row.  It is spreading up the fence into the open spaces between the tomatoes and is already forming one melon.  Soon it will need a sling to hold it. 


Squeezed in on the backside of the tomatoes are a few Purple Hull Peas which will be ready this month.


In the back of the garden in the shade are three fence rows of tomatoes.  The shade doesn't seem to be bothering them as much as I expected.  The beans on the back rows and back corners have been replanted twice with different seeds because they wouldn't come up.  


The front rows have a single cucumber planted on each end.  They will spread out into the walkway and have just started producing this week.


It took a while to get enough things germinated to fill up the back of the garden, but it is finally all planted.


A feast is better than a famine.  I am not complaining. 

13 comments:

  1. I'd say that is a feast of a garden! We also had more than the usual seeds to not germinate this year, from various sources. We just keep planting. I'll be interested to hear how the trap works. I hope you get plenty of squash. I just saw the first tomatoes turning color this morning. One of the cherry tomatoes, but I'll take it. Have a happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if I had done something wrong, left the seeds in the mailbox too long by accident or something but the failures seem to be across the board. Seed companies were stretch to the limit this year so it stands to reason they had difficulties. I no longer know what is planted where because I kept poking more and different seeds in the ground. Who knows which ones finally sprouted.

      No cherry tomatoes for me this year because I forgot to plant any.

      Delete
  2. No hungry neighbours to accept your excess? You produce a fine crop from lots of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Diana I don't have any hungry neighbors. I have checked and they either already have a garden or don't like vegetables. The neighbor who said she doesn't eat them shocked me. How can somebody not like vegetables? I am able to share some, but I could give away more. I am canning quite a bit, making pickles, freezing and trying new recipes. Letting it go to waste is not acceptable.

      Delete
  3. What an amazing space, Jeannie. I too am growing squash this year on my allotment. After several failures due to them not producing any fruit I said I wouldn't bother growing them again. But I am trying them in a different place on the plot to see if they do any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one in the world who hasn't been able to grow them. I wish you luck Margaret, but I can't give any advice. I am still learning too.

      Delete
  4. Amazing to see a water melon growing! As Bill saids at least you have sufficient food. I hope your squash experiment works this time! Happy Gardening. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got to make something to hold it before the wind blows it off. With squash plants, their vines get thicker and will hold them as they grow. I am not sure a watermelon vine will do the same so I don't want to go out and find it smashed.

      Delete
  5. It is great that you have so many vegetables growing well, so you have the choice everyday and need not go to a market. I see, that many of your garden beds are well covered with hay. I guess,
    you had the right idea. So what is your experience with this method so far?
    Tomorrow will be the National Holiday in your country. So, please, let me wish you and all your
    readers a wonderful day and peace and national welfare in the USA.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covering everything with hay has been the best thing I have ever done in the garden. It keeps the weeds down, saves water, softens my step as I walk (nice for a person with neuropathy), and turns into compost as it rots. My soil has improved tremendously this year. It takes a while to be able to see a difference though. I will never go back to the old way of hoeing weeds constantly.

      The downside is that you must make sure the hay has not been treated with any weed killers or you can ruin your soil. We also used up all we had and are hoping for another deliver soon. Bill has been raking up some of the grass from the yard but that is very hard work.

      We are getting ready to celebrate the 4th of July. I wish you could join me for a picnic and fireworks. Well, I will enjoy the food but can't stay awake long enough for the fireworks. Poor Scooter will bark all night from the noise around us. It is only one night of the year so I don't mind.

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy your garden posts. I have been so distracted this week with things I could not even settle and enjoy till now. And like I say...I look forward to these posts. but it is not just yours, there were two or three other blogs I really enjoy but need to concentrate on and I couldn't them either. Just been too much stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden posts str my favourites, a long with Scooter stories. I just love trading about and seeing all your greens growing! If you ever have too many greens, I recommend dehydrating them and keeping them as a greens powder to add to smoothies or soups. I love homemade greens powder made from literally any greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I spoke too soon. The weather has hit the 90's every day for as long as the forecast is published. Many of my greens are bolting. I shouldn't have complained. I think I will dehydrate some and give it a try.

      Delete