Thursday, October 29, 2020

Nana Has Been Released

Imagine you are sick, helpless, and have a very short time left to live.  Would you prefer to spend your remaining days with strangers or with family and friends? What if an unknown, unelected, unaccountable government employee had the power to lock you in your bedroom for eight months, declare your family to be parasites, and only allow people they deem "essential" close to you.  They arrogantly decree their draconian rules are for your safety and any questions to the contrary are threatened with fines.  This is the hell my mother has endured.


She is living in a wonderful assisted living facility with the kindest people in the world.  It is where she needs to be, yet, what the government has forced upon all of them in the name of "safety" is unimaginable. 

Due to the coronavirus, the facility was forced to lockdown at the beginning of March "for only two weeks" - a lie straight from the pit of hell.  The front door was closed and none of the inmates were allowed to leave for any reason other than a doctor's appointment; however, "essential" persons by the hundreds could enter and exit at will.  In their off time, they could shop, travel, walk through crowds, spend evenings with family members (who had also been in public places), and then as soon as they clocked in, they magically became "essential."  I am family and labeled "nonessential" therefore, I am hazardous.  


The staff works intimately close with everyone because it is necessary to assist during baths, hair washing, and dressing; however, during lockdown, for some strange reason, haircuts were not allowed. No one could get a haircut even though it is hygienically necessary.  Ask any nurse, they will tell you it is important, but no one asked them because bureaucrats are in charge.


The activity room was deemed off-limits because it might be unsanitary so the daily activities were held in hard metal folding chairs in the middle of the busy hallway where the nursing, maintenance, delivery, kitchen, office staff plus "essential" visitors had to step through the middle.

Meals were no longer allowed in the dining room and were moved to the bedrooms.  That meant all of the services and the personnel performing the work had to shift.  Inside my Mother's bedroom, no fewer than 12 "essential" personnel from three different shifts entered daily yet I could never once step inside the front door.  They were:
  • Morning and evening nurse - administered medications
  • Kitchen staff - delivered and removed three meals.
  • Medical staff - temperature was taken twice daily.
  • Housekeeping - room cleaned once a week and trash removed twice daily.
  • Laundry - picked up and dropped off once a week.
  • Maintenance - changed light bulbs and made other repairs.
  • Activities Director - checked in twice a day in an attempt to encourage socialization and ward off depression.
Every staff member was compassionate because of what had been imposed by tyrants on the helpless people they cared about.  They could see the pain caused by the loneliness but were unable to stop a government with too much power.


In an attempt to alleviate melancholy, the staff moved this couch to the front window. The occupants were able to chat on the phone while their families stood outside the window.  Mother is almost blind and this was not a comfort to her.


Finally, after eight months in jail, Mom was released last weekend...sort of.  I was allowed to visit if I promised to wear a mask, stay at a safe distance, and not touch her.  


I do believe the Chinese Coronoavirus is real and is deadly.  When it first arrived on our shores in February, extreme caution was warranted.  It was an unknown bioweapon and we were unprepared.  Now, our medical doctors have studied it, know how to treat it and the survival rate in the US is 99%.  It has become a pandemic of fear and those in power have capitalized on it to seize more power.  Will we be locked down again every time there is a dangerous flu season?  Never again should we destroy the healthy by quarantining them in hopes of stopping what might or might not happen. This cure is worse than the disease. A freedom relinquished is a freedom lost.  We have lost so many freedoms here in America it is horrifying.  


All I wanted was to be an "essential" person and be allowed to spend a little time with my mother like hundreds of others.  Why was that so bad?


12 comments:

  1. My word, honey, you sure put a bug in my ear. I've been reading out some of your statements to my husband and this is one powerful piece. I agree that so many of the rulings I have heard of are absolutely asinine. It has been very much indeed a fear driven destroyer of so many things. And like you, I believe the virus was serious and horrible for SOME.
    As a former nursing home employee (not nursing but well aware of all the operations) I was appalled by what you've described and how unkind it is to those who LIVE in that nursing facility. I'm so glad you were able to see your mom and so glad that she's in a good facility. But yes, we need to do some lobbying and take some hard and fast stands on many things in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, thank you for your kind words. However, the unknown, office drone despots won't relinquish power easily. It will be a battle - one I am willing to fight.

      Delete
  2. Mom! You need to stop being so melodramatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My young unflappable, level-headed son! You will never understand a mother's emotional heart. Just smile, nod and give me a hug when I emote - that will go a long way to earning you rewards.
      Mom
      PS: Thanks for remembering to call me on my birthday yesterday. That got you a bunch of brownie points.

      Delete
  3. It has been hard to understand why some places have been so strict and other places 'anything goes'! It feels like there are 2 sets of rules and I don't understand any of them. I'm very glad you got to visit with your mother! What an ordeal for so many. Thanks for writing this post about your experience. I think it really helps. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I am tired of this pandemic and am ready for it to be over. Enough is enough!

      Delete
  4. One British woman got herself employed as a dishwasher so she could see her mom, as an essential worker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a dedicated daughter. It is a shame she had to go to such lengths just to see her mother. I am two and one half hours away so I called her on the phone every day. I would read the news and play news shows by holding my phone up to the speaker. I would pause it and we would discuss what was happening in the world. Her mind is still sharp and I didn't want her to lose her mental abilities by being locked down. She watched the others around her become depressed and decline. It was heartbreaking.

      Delete
  5. My sweet 91 year old uncle planned a big 90th birthday party for his wife, to be where they live in assisted living. Enter the virus. The facility is great (they are friends with the owner) and the staff is lovely, but their hands were tied. What family could visit had to stand outside to wave and yell greetings at my aunt through the glass lobby walls. It was so sad. Finally, the staff set up a big table in the sliding front doors and residents reserved an hour during the day to sit on one side of the table, in the lobby, while visitors sat on the other side, outside under the awning. They would bring food and share a meal. I'm not sure how the holidays will go. I understand your distress over this, completely. And I'm not discounting the virus either. A member of our in-law's family has died of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What little joy that was left for these people in their few remaining days has been cruelly ripped from them. It is unforgiveable.

      Delete
  6. All completely ridiculous. I'm glad you finally got to see your Mom. My Dad was on Hospice at home and my parents got the virus from one of the Hospice workers. They both survived it and Dad passed away from his illness in May. But, that worker knew she was ill and claimed it was something else and was never tested. How many did she infect by going into their homes while my parents were locked away from all the things that brought them joy and happiness in my Dad's last days? It is hard to comprehend all these stupid rules. I am so glad things are a little better in the care facilities. My Aunt is in a nursing home and terrified of dying all alone. At least she has been able to see a few family members outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only bright spot is that now that the election is over, the virus will disappear. The news media will move onto other dramas (of which there are many) and this will all be forgotten. However, the pain won't be forgotten.

      Delete