Thursday, March 25, 2021

Garden Seeds for the 2021 Season

Last year after experiencing months of empty grocery shelves caused by the lockdown, my garden plan was simple: take no chances and stick with what works. This year - no way.  It's time to try everything new and have fun.  Back in the middle of December, I began ordering seeds early to avoid empty inventories like 2020.  However, it was too late, many were already gone and so, fear gripped my heart.  I began ordering anything I could get and then later, much to my surprise, emails began arriving stating my favorites were back in stock.  I ordered more.

Seeds'n Such was the first order placed since I have never used them before.  


They have a unique system: "Mix 'n Match" to get lower prices.  The more you order, the better the deal.  Normally, I save my seeds and don't need much but this year is different. It isn't about what is needed, but what is wanted. 


If you order 20 packets, the price drops to $1.99 each. They were selling Fordhook Lima Beans which I have wanted to grow for years but haven't found anywhere. They were definitely on the must-have list.  All that was needed was to choose 19 more to get the price break.  


Choosing enough seeds to buy has never been a problem.


However, realize I got what I paid for - do read the fine print.  The Zahara Zinnias had only ten seeds. One extra was generously added making it eleven in the package. They were upfront about it in the catalog.


Every year my Sugar Beet seeds come from Pinetree. No one else sells them and they are another must-have.  Saving their seeds has not worked so if I am going to pay postage, might as well buy more.

Everything purchased was new to me except for Juan Canary Melon and the Casaba Golden Beauty Melon.


The Casaba Golden Beauty Melon will store long into the winter and the flavor sweetens over time. It is one of the sweetest melons I have ever tasted.  Waiting and not eating it while it sweetens in the pantry is the hard part. 


Then I ordered from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds...oh my.  I went wild.


All I needed were two things: the Natsu Fushinari Cucumbers and the Louisiana 16 Inch Long Pod Okra.  The cucumbers are disease resistant and were prolific last year.  The okra pods grow long and don't have to be picked every other day.  Both were sold out in December, were put on backorder but I was able to get them later.  However, it was too late, I had already seen all the other pictures in the catalog.


The temptation to splurge was overwhelming and I succumbed to the ease of credit card swiping. There were too many new foods to try.


Their marketing department knows how to woo a gardener during the bleak days of winter.  Warning - persuasive sales pitches ahead:
  
Chinese Python Snake Bean - Our new favorite vegetable! It tastes much like green beans, except even more delicious. (More delicious than green beans...are they exaggerating?) We could give up a lot of other vegetables before we would not grow this queen of garden crops (a queen of the garden?), known for its divine taste (I can almost taste it now - oh, so tempting) and snake-like beauty (note to the marketing department: lost me on that one. Never seen a beautiful snake). So snake-like that it has terrified garden visitors (now that would be fun. Who doesn't want to terrify their company?). It is almost completely absent in U.S. markets (I would be the first in my neighborhood to have one and could brag. Please take my $3.00!)


Heavy Hitter Okra - New! Amazing production! This is the most productive okra we have ever seen, producing as much as 250 pods per plant in a season and 44 young, tender pods in a single day. (They even show a hopefully unedited picture of a plant with about 14 pods...can anyone really eat that much okra?  So what, I had to get it. Please take my $3.50.)


While unable to find seeds during December, I wailed, moaned, and complained to Mom on the phone.  She was still locked down,  bored, lonely, and would listen to anyone. She offered a sympathetic ear and then shared my woes with my brother.  Upon happenstance, he entered a dollar store and spied a fully stocked shelf with 25-cent seeds.  He bought one of each. He is rich and can do that.


Then he went to the hardware store and they were fully stocked also. He bought more seeds and mailed them to me! I danced around the room when the seeds fell out of the package.  He has been known to play jokes (like the time he sent a large box of styrofoam peanuts to the boys when they were small.  It was scattered over the carpet as they searched for the prize inside.  The gift was the peanuts.  They had a blast, I was irritated).  Evidently, everyone is buying online instead of going to the stores. 


These are the most exciting he sent and are being planted first: 
A Money Plant - obviously money doesn't grow on trees but instead on a plant.  Who knew?
Wax Green Beans - Is a yellow green bean still a green bean? Will they taste green or yellow?
Baby Bubba Okra - dwarf okra.  There might not be enough okra this year so this must be planted.
Mixed Colors Swiss Chard - All my chards are green, so boring. This will be exciting.
Cayenne pepper - My brother loves hot peppers.  These will be dried and returned to him perhaps in the mail with an official label "IRS AUDIT DEPARTMENT: OPEN IMMEDIATELY."

Never say whining doesn't get you what you want.    


This year I am excited about the garden and can't wait to start planting.  It's going to be fun!

12 comments:

  1. What a fun post. I can't wait to see your garden! So many seeds, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to taste the food! It is exciting. Buying seeds and growing new vegetables is my weakness. I keep telling myself, it could be worse, my weakness could be diamonds or gambling.

      Delete
  2. It almost makes me wish I was there with you....almost I said! heehee! I love that you went WILD and got what you wanted and MORE! You WILL have such fun trying out new veggies and watching them grow. I would LOVE the colorful Swiss Chard. That's about my favorite thing from the garden and something you can find at the farmer's mkt once in a blue moon. A snake veggie? Not so sure about that. I always loved planting gourds on the fence away from the veggies. Enjoy your week! I guess I'll be the kind of friend that comes by to help you with the harvest! hahaha! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what the snake veggie thing will taste or look like. Hopefully, it won't startle me when I am weeding and give me heart attack. If you come up and help me harvest, I will give you all you want!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's more than I have! I'll let you know, those Dollar Store seeds grow well. If you ever see the boxes of pollinator mixes, snap them up. They grow amazingly well, and the perennials that come out of them are great. I am hooked on Baker Creek Dragon Tongue beans. Free shipping! Project Purity, check them out. You might find something you don't have! Loads of seeds in the small packs, usually $1, cheap shipping. Oh, Roman chamomile! It was easy to grow from seed for me, and this year I learned it spreads rather like strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out Project Purity and they are bookmarked so I can look for MORE SEEDS! I love seeds.

      As for Dragon Tongue Beans, I can't grow them. Two years ago I tried them and they did terrible. They were covered in spots and didn't produce. You can read about it in my August, 2019 garden post. https://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2019/08/augusts-garden-2019.html If you know what went wrong, let me know.

      If you have any suggestions for growing the Roman chamomile, I would appreciate it. It is for Dustin since he drinks it all the time to help him sleep better.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is some collection of seeds!! We have a tough time growing good melons here, but the Casaba Golden Beauty melon sounds yummy. I enjoy the flavor of red chard more than the green, and wonder what you'll think of it. I hope you'll keep us posted on your garden adventures this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like there is a taste test of different chards on the horizon. There will probably be a whole bunch of taste tests this season.

      It has been a few years since I have grown them because I kept running out of garden space. They are something I like to plant later in the season so they will be ready in the fall and then stored for the winter. Last year my seeds weren't viable and I knew there was no way I could find any late in the season. This year, I am going to focus on saving more seeds. (I say that every year and then something goes wrong.)

      You know I will keep you posted on my garden adventures! It keeps me motivated to weed.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you will be busy AND you will be well-fed and healthy! I've ordered/used Baker Creek and Burpee seeds in the past, and had success with both. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burpee is a company I ordered from years ago but canceled when the seed catalogs were overrunning my living room. Just now I looked them up online and they have a wealth of information about growing everything. I will be reading through their website and trying, trying, trying to not order anything else.

      Delete
  6. Don´t worry, your weakness buying large amount of seed is not bad or dangerous.It is exiting and your
    family will benefit. Seeing all those pictures on the seed packages, I guess that your garden will be twice the size this year. Why not- gardening is a healthy job and you are your own boss.
    I wish you much pleasure with sowing and great success during the season.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, my dreams are bigger than my body can handle. I wish my garden was twice the size and I had a gardener to do the hard work! Now that is my wish. Oh, and a chef to do all the cooking of the new, exciting vegetables. If I am dreaming, why not make it big.

      Delete