Sunday, April 30, 2023

April's Garden (2023)

There has not been a rush to get the garden planted since we are still experiencing late frosts. A few sprouts have been damaged by the cold but they appear to be recovering. There are three more 39-degree nights in next week's forecast so hopefully, that will be the end of winter.


The new strawberry bed has four different varieties. The winner with the best flavor will be allowed to spread over the whole bed.  I know last month I said there wouldn't be any experimenting this year. The plan was to stick to tried and true crops but I can't stand it. As soon as I see something new, it is tossed into my shopping cart. Resistance is futile.


The strawberry tasting contests should start soon. 


Onions have been slipped into any empty spaces. I don't think I could ever have too many onions.


The potatoes are acting weird. The white Kennebec in the back of the row toward the shed popped right up but the Red Pontiac in the front are taking their time.


Thinking they might have rotted, I gently moved the soil and found they have sprouted.  Some have been damaged by the cold weather but they all have new growth.


In the back of the garden in front of the shed are the Yukon Gold potatoes that were purchased a few weeks ago from a local nursery. They are going wild and are laughing at the slow Red Pontiacs.


The spinach that survived the winter is finished. There are a few leaves waiting to be plucked and then tomatoes will be put here later. I have decided to stagger the planting times for the tomatoes to avoid a massive harvest requiring processing all at once; hopefully, that will ease the workload in the summer kitchen.


Not having many greens available to eat this past winter has made me rethink the garden and set different goals. The few local grocery stores didn't offer a satisfactory choice of fresh food. My pantry was used extensively so more food and better preparation will be needed if the garden fails again.


The few extra greens we have picked this month have been canned and used in recipes. Canned greens aren't as disgusting as expected. Each variety tastes entirely different and with the right recipe, could be delicious. It will take experimenting next winter to figure out how we like them. More experimenting is in my future so extra have been planted. 


The small space between the spinach plants has onions, of course. It is too cramped but the spinach is about to be harvested down to a single leaf on each plant so the extras can be saved for winter. That will open up breathing room for the onions.  


The results are in for the experiment to discover if garlic could repel insects on Golden Beauty Napa Cabbage. It couldn't.


This is how they looked a few weeks ago as they were being devoured. After being doused with Joy dishwashing detergent and mineral oil, the pests disappeared. The plants would have been destroyed if not sprayed; however, napa cabbages grow fast and recover quickly.


Part of the back garden has been planted with various greens except for one row that has a fire ant mound.  They are being fought with Epsom salt and diatomaceous earth. One of these days I will discover a great non-toxic repellant for the garden and will share it with everyone. Today is not that day.


The new makeover in the back corner has been a success. The collard greens and broccoli are quite happy in this area.


Beets are growing in any empty spot.  We canned a few of the leaves and then added them to a soup where they absorbed the broth flavor. It was a success. As soon as the leaves are large enough to pick, they will be preserved for winter. Broccoli leaves haven't been canned yet because the recipe book claims the flavor is too strong; however, that won't stop me from trying.


So far the garden is doing wonderful. No repeated disasters like last year.  It is a pleasant shock when I tour it in the morning and see everything still there. Gardening is great fun when everything actually works.

10 comments:

  1. A gardening friend recently told me their method of dealing with fire ants, and said it works. On frigid winter nights, they get up at 1:00 and dig up the mound so it's exposed to the cold. I'll be trying it, though, of course we have to deal with them all summer first. I think it must be in a gardener's blood to experiment. I'm with you on the onions. You can't have too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to try the experiment! I tried digging one up once by putting the dirt in a wheelbarrow. They crawled over the top, down the side and started another mound in the yard. I felt stupid when I saw they had escaped. If digging them up works in the winter, I am willing to give it a try. I'll try anything.

      Delete
  2. Your garden does look wonderful, is lovely to see everything growing, I know what you mean about wanting to try something new! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I keep saying I need to be more prudent and control myself, but I just can't stop myself from trying new things.

      Delete
  3. Your garden is very productive! The strawberries look great, Here they are just starting to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My strawberries started blooming about two weeks ago and I can't wait for them to ripen. The birds haven't realize they are there yet but when they do, I have a brand new net waiting to be draped over the top. I am trying to think ahead and outsmart them.

      Delete
  4. Dear Jeannie, oh wow your garden is so far! I just started to plant and the stawberries are blooming right now.
    Have a lovely May and enjoy your garden paradise.
    Happy days from Austria
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, welcome to the USA! Together, yet half a planet away, we are both waiting for our first strawberries to ripen. We gardeners are all the same. You have a garden paradise also.

      Delete
  5. I saw your blog on Down by the Sea and came to look at your garden. It is growing so nicely, and is quite large. I wish I could have a garden in my little backyard, but it is located in mid-town Nashville and is small. Although I had several trees planted and am looking forward to the magnolias to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome neighbor! I was born and raised in Nashville until we moved 50 miles south to the country twenty years ago. It is no longer the city of my childhood. It used to be a huge small town, calm, slow, friendly but has since exploded with growth. Everyone wants to live there and I don't blame them. It is wonderful. I recognize the old buildings but not the new skyscrapers and building cranes that seem to rise up overnight. You have traveled the world and are finally home.

      It doesn't matter how small your garden is, there is always room for something. I encourage you to plant anything. The weather is never the same here which makes it difficult but don't be discouraged by failures. Growing year round is possible so you are always getting ready for the next season. Right now, it is time to enjoy the smell of the magnolia blooms. Do make time to relax with a cup of tea and a good book in the shade of an old, large one.

      Delete