Thursday, August 31, 2023

August's Garden (2023)

 

The garden is out of control and we are exhausted trying to catch up.


It rained for two weeks straight, stopped, and then the heat and humidity soared. The garden grew wildly.


I'm glad the planting dates for the tomatoes were staggered. Those beginning to ripen cracked from the deluge. The sweet potato vines below the tomato vines have taken advantage of the empty space and are spreading up the support fence. It will make picking the leaves for cooking easier.


Our big lawnmower broke down twice, parts were difficult to find so the lawn became overgrown. The melon patch disappeared beneath the weeds. 


The grass spread into the garden along the edges.


The yard resembled a hay field when it was finally mowed and had to be raked to avoid suffocating the grass. Bill raked while I spread it as high as possible between every plant. It was piled as high as two feet in empty areas. It wasn't something either of us wanted to do in 95-degree weather.


I'm not complaining. I'll take too much rain and mulch over drought any day. 


The rain ruined the chickpeas and caused the pods to mold since they were mature. 


They will be grown again next year but I will raise them differently. The seeds were purchased from a grocery store so the germination rate was about one in ten. Soaking them overnight might have improved the odds. Next time, at least ten peas will be dropped in each hole unless I can purchase them new from a seed company. 


Staggering the planting dates didn't work well because the plants died immediately after production. Some varieties like purple hull peas continue to produce, but these didn't. The fresh flavor was similar to new English peas. It would have been better to harvest early, then pull them all up at once and plant something else.


I feel like it was a successful failure because I learned so much. 

Nothing in the summer squash corner has performed as expected. Only four lima bean seeds were planted below the arch at the far end because I didn't want the vines to take over the area like they are doing now. One seed on each side might have worked better.


The dahlia below the Lima Bean vine has been quite happy with the excessive growth and likes being shaded from the blisteringly hot summer sun. They don't grow well in this area and burn during the summer. It is doing better here than in my flower garden. That's been a surprise.


Only two yellow squash from the last batch of seedlings survived but for some reason, they are doing great. I have ignored them yet they are producing.


Out of the dozens of Candy Roaster squash seeds planted only one survived and has produced a fruit. My dream was for dozens of these since they are our favorite. I am wondering why the squash vine borers haven't killed them. Is the scent trap working or have they flown away? Also, the squash bugs are gone. I haven't seen any since the two weeks of rain - that's never happened before. What did I do right with these plants because I want to repeat it. The more I learn about gardening, the less I know.


A happy surprise, the experiment growing lettuce during the summer has resulted in one success. Crisp Mint has lived up to the claim of surviving the heat of summer without becoming bitter. (Woo hoo! I succeeded!)


The bed from saved seeds of whatever greens have bolted is thriving. It is always a surprise to see what sprouts. 


The summer garden has produced more than I imagined. Overall, there have been more successes than failures and with gardening, that's a win. The last two months have been hard but it was worth it to have a full pantry ready for winter.  We have had a few cool mornings which means winter may be early again. It's time to begin seeds for the winter garden and after last year's failure, my plan is to way overplant.

11 comments:

  1. I love the way you put it: a successful failure. Yep! I feel I learn new things every year in the garden. And I want to try the crisp mint lettuce now. They look great! I saw my first squash bug this morning--so even out west they seem to be of little consequence this year. And that's all right with me! Congrats on such a great harvest this year!
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will give you some of the Crisp Mint lettuce seeds. There were plenty in the package and I only grew a few. We had our first salad with them yesterday. There was a hint of bitterness but it was not strong. Some of the other kinds were so awful I spit the leaves out of my mouth.

      Yesterday I began planting seeds in cups on the porch for the winter garden. There are at least three times more than I have ever done before. I don't want to fail like I did last year so if there isn't a major disaster, I can give you some plants.

      Delete
    2. Lettuce that didn't go bitter in the summer heat? Whoa. I am going to look into this type...never heard of it before this. Also, here's one of the Chunk videos -- I really think you should look into this armadillo-wise, now that Scooter is no longer patrolling. (I miss him too, Jeannie.)

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKlvDoIzRTQ

      Delete
    3. Cindy, I still cry every time I start thinking about him. The pain is not lessening much.

      Delete
    4. Okay, watching Chuck the Groundhog eat a carrot was amusing. My thought was, they eat everything and the guy's garden in the background looks pitiful. You can't have a garden with Chuck and his wife around.

      Delete
  2. I am always amazed at what you manage to do with your garden! Our tomatoes here in Chattanooga almost all split from all the rain. I saved some seed, and will try again next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lost enough that there isn't enough to begin to last us through the winter. We dearly love canned tomatoes when it is freezing outside. Tomorrow we are traveling down to Amish country to see if there are any to be purchased. Usually, if I have a failure they have a failure also since they are only 50 miles away and we share the same weather patterns.

      I am going to try some different varieties next year. Eventually, I will find the perfect tomato for my garden.

      Delete
  3. That's a really pretty color dahlia. This was my first year growing them, and though they were supposed to be two different pink varieties (one with yellow), they both ended up white. Ah well, dollar store purchase. That's too bad about the chickpeas. I think it would be interesting to try them here. We have similarities in our garden. Tomatoes beginning to ripen all cracking with the rain, and out of control grass and weeds. It went from too muddy to mow to blazing hot. You may have mentioned before, but do you saute the sweet potato greens with any seasonings? So far, I've only added them to smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about you when I wrote about the chick peas. I took pictures of the harvest but it was too slimy. Next year I will pick them earlier and stay on top of it (ha ha).

      In the past I sautéed them in butter but now I can't eat it so I guess I will be using olive oil. They go from fresh leaves to mush VERY quickly. I throw them into stir fry the very last thing only until they wilt. This weekend when two of my guys come home (great guinea pigs), I'm going to experiment and send the dishes back home with them. They desperately need greens in their diets although, I expect they will probably just dump ketchup on them (sigh).

      Delete
  4. I like the word successful failure. It sounds optimistic. We can always learn something new. Your dahlia is so pretty! I like its colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dahlia was given to me years ago by my son when he was working part-time weeding for a flower farm. He brought a big bucket of blubs home for me. In my zone, they must be dug up every fall and stored through the winter. One year I forgot and lost almost all of them. They will remain in the vegetable garden under something since I have discovered they are happy there.

      Delete