Saturday, February 24, 2018

Shelbyville, Tennessee, Back to the Future


Yesterday, we visited the local town of Shelbyville, Tennessee, "Walking Horse Capital of the World."  It was a beautiful warm Spring day - which never happens in February.  The weather should be cold, wet and dreary but when the sun started shining, we had to travel.

There was a lovely, Saucer Magnolia tree on the square which was blooming early.  It was facing south and surrounded by heat retaining bricks which may be what altered its timeline.

While window shopping, I decided to investigate an urban legend about the courthouse located in the middle of the town square.  The story claims it was used as a backdrop in the filming of the movie, "Back to the Future."


This is supposed to be the clock tower that was struck by 1.21 gigawatts of electricity from a lightning bolt.  


The town square does resemble the movie, but then again, so does almost every other town square in small-town America.  However, there were no Deloreans or hoverboards parked anywhere in the lot.


There was also not enough road in front of the building to get up to 88 miles per hour, but roads won't be needed in the future.


Being determined to discover the truth, I am not a slacker, I searched for Hill Valley.  Instead, I discovered Fisherman's Park on Duck River located right outside of town.  In the distance, the clock tower rises above the treeline.



City Hall should have some answers.  Surely they would know the history. 


SHELBYVILLE, TENNESSEE
Celebrating the First 200 Years
Shelbyville was established in 1810 on 100 acres of land donated by Clement Cannon (1783-1860), local manufacturer and veteran of the War of 1812.  The city was named in honor of General Issac Shelby (1750-1826), statesman and noted Revolutionary War hero who led colonial forces to victory at King's Mountain.  The town was formally chartered on October 7, 1819.

There was no mention of future historical events on the plaque.

Nobody calls me chicken - I marched into City Hall and asked: "Does anyone know the truth?"  Alas, it was only a legend told to gullible buttheads.  "Back to the Future" trilogy courthouse scenes were all filmed at a Universal Studios' Backlot and the building was also used in many other movies.

Mythbusted!

8 comments:

  1. Shelbyville seems so be an attractive town. A city with an eventful history. And these large roads and a lot of space, - enviable! Magnolias are lovely trees for parks and places.
    I read on that sign the words "Pencil City". I would like to say, that for writing I use
    soft pencils almost exclusively. I do not like ballpoint pens. Exception: Signatures.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me!!! The town is also called "Pencil City" because of their many pencil factories. I did not realize it was on the sign until I enlarged the picture. You have a powerful microscope to be able to see those small letters. I am impressed.

      Also, anyone who has not seen the movie, "Back to the Future," will not understand my puns.

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful town. I love seeing things in other parts of the country through your pictures. A few years back, the girls had a "Back to the Future" marathon. That was when we lived in a county where movies were free at the library, not like now, so they checked them out and watched them all. It was fun. I'm glad you got a fun outing on such a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the movies but they made my head spin by the time I reached the last one. We need to have a movie marathon and watch them all again. Now that I have read about how they did the filming to make everything fit, I would like to stop the video and see the changes. Maybe I should watch it by myself since I would be stopping it constantly. Anyone watching with me would get frustrated.

      Delete
  3. That is a picturesque town and the courthouse does look like the one in Back to the Future. I love that the town has retained business downtown. So many small towns around here have all but dried up downtown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shellbyville is a growing city and they have done a good job attracting businesses to the square. While there I did not have time to shop, but will allow more time the next time I am in the area. Spending money is something I am good at doing.

      Delete
  4. It is a pretty town. What were some of your purchases?

    I have seen BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 on video, several times, and enjoyed it very much. The last time I saw it was with my husband in the theater for like a one night special. That was very fun seeing it on a big screen. Now he would like to see the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy anything but Bill bought us lunch. It was delicious. Since the boys have moved back in with us, it seems there is not much room left. My mood has been to clean, paint and organize. But that feeling is going away and now I want to buy seeds and start planting flowers!!!

      I loved the sequels to "Back to the Future." They are as good as the first movie. My recommendation is to watch the first one again, then watch the next two. It will make your head spin trying to keep all the different plot-lines straight.

      Delete