Saturday, March 3, 2018

Winter Has Returned


For only a few days the weather was warm, sunny and pleasant. Then the ghost of Old Man Winter returned to haunt.  I shivered as I watched his chilly mist drift over the hilltops and sink into the valley.



His icy fingers gripped the hills refusing to let any sunshine through.


Pouring rain followed - buckets and buckets, relentless raindrops on an already saturated landscape.


The swollen creeks became flooded.




Even my driveway became a creek.  I watched dismayed as my gravel washed away.


There are a few signs of Spring but only if you search hard through the gloom. Old Man Winter is winning now, but his days are numbered. 

6 comments:

  1. Nature is moody and unpredictable particularly at the winter to summer springover.
    We also had frost last week and today we have 12 degrees Celsius (53 F)
    When I see big amounts of water, whether on you impressive pictures or in my home place,
    I think of the dry regions in so many places of the world, where water is so precious.
    And so I am very thankful for what we have, particularly as a gardener.
    But Spring is on its way!
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. I get all excited expecting warm weather, then my hopes are dashed. It could be worse and be snowing so I should not complain...but I complain anyway.

      Delete
  2. OMG, when we are suffering from very early "extreme" heat already where temps should still be by April-May, as in 37-38°C; you there have so much water and cold. How lovely it would be if some of them can be channeled to us here so we will not be so deprived. Our plants are already drying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if I could send you some of this rain I would!!!! It seems our little county was getting hit harder than some of the other places around. After I finished my errands and got home, I don't think anything could have gotten me back out on the road again. Everyone's cell phone here in the house keep beeping all day warning of flash floods in our area. We are on high ground so never worry.

      Delete
  3. After 2 good days--we are back to pouring rain, as well. I was sure loving the sunshine. I hope it comes back quickly. At least that snow only lasted about a week! Strange weather--this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be getting down to 27 degrees tonight. Spring is taking it's time getting here.

      Delete