Thursday, November 22, 2018

Country Life vs. City Life


It is extremely different living in the country as opposed to living in the city (and I love living in the country.)  The first thing that usually comes to people's mind is the large open fields with the abundance of livestock, but that is only part of the picture. These are a few of the little things I noticed this past summer while traveling around that I have never seen in a city.

This is a stile gate which allows people to enter but stops livestock from passing through.  They are also called "kissing" gates; perhaps because you can kiss your fella' over it?  I don't know where the name came from but it does sound romantic.


A cattle guard keeps cows and horses in the pasture but lets people and vehicles pass.  It's metal pipes over a ditch - cows' hooves will fall through, tires can roll over and people are able to walk across.  It is convenient because you don't have to get out of the car to open and then close the gate everytime you pass through.  It is also safer because gates are sometimes accidentally left open.


These cows were eying me suspiciously but none would step on the cattle guard to get a closer view.  I was glad it was there because some of them were glaring at me diabolically.  Cows are really huge animals when you get close to them and they can run faster than I.


Never once in my travels to the big cities have I seen a cattle crossing sign - pedestrian signs are everywhere, but cattle, never seen it.  This sign was obviously made by the farmer, not the local government but it was there for a purpose.  I saw mud prints across the road so it was really a safety warning.


This road dips down into the creek and does not have a bridge.  There are many miles of backroads with numerous creeks crossing back and forth.  There will never be enough tax dollars collected from the few people who live in the area to support the building of enough bridges.  Bridges are expensive to build and costly to maintain their safety.  These fords are hazardous when flooded or frozen but usually the locals know when to avoid them.


Tree stands in backyards and fields are used so hunters can hide inside and not be seen.  The ladder leads to a second story room where the rectangle flaps on the sides can be raised for tactical viewing.  This one was on the edge of a cornfield and I am sure they had a horrible time with deer devouring the crops.  A few deer can eat thousands of dollars worth of corn quickly


Fields are sometimes burned to improve their health.  Driving down a road and seeing a black, charred pasture is a shock when everything around it is a lush green.


These hay bales were being burned.  I don't know why.  They may have been moldy and toxic to the animals.



Country people are willing to take chances since the risk of being caught and receiving a ticket from the police would be rare.  Why this man was driving down the middle of a highway, going around a dangerous curve on a lawnmower was beyond my imagination.  I smiled and waved when I saw him and he snarled back at me!  People never do that in the country.  Everyone is usually friendly but not him.  I always try to respect people's wishes and not post their faces without their approval.  Not this man - so here is a picture of an unnamed grumpy, crazy man.


These people deserved a ticket for letting their dog ride in the back of the pickup truck.  To their credit, they were going very slow and only traveled about a half of a mile, but it was still too dangerous.   I backed far away and used my telephoto lens because I didn't want them to feel the need to speed up.


Never, ever, ever have I seen a crop duster airplane in the city.  This pilot was not dusting but just practicing on this day.



I saved the best for last.  This was a fenced backyard full of children's toys which included a barn, two sheep and a donkey.  Obviously, they were tame and probably pets, but I am sure I have never seen livestock on a playground in the city before.  Life is a bit different here.

9 comments:

  1. This sort of , let me say, fire clearance is also known in the area where I live. There are often
    quite steep grassy embankments in the vineyards. It would be too difficult and strenuous to cut
    last year´s dry grass and other unwanted vegetation by machines. So in very early spring this is often burned off under control. That is quite all right. Fresh green grass will appear after
    some weeks.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wrong! Controlled fires are used in the city, or at least in your city. I have never seen it in Tennessee.

      The grass always seems to be a brighter shade of green when it appears after a burn.

      Delete
  2. I love your pictures, as always! Growing up, I have seen many of those same things, as I've lived most of my life in the country. Now, I'm in town, and there ARE a lot of differences. I did live in a very small town for 3 years long ago, when Rob was in college, but that's it. Until 2 years ago, when we moved here. So, I have to say, I'm turning my little town lot into my own little bit of country, minus the animals. (Which I don't care about, but it's hard for Rob to not have them)

    Here's some of the things I'm having to adjust to: 1). What in the world do you do with all your trimmings and cuttings from your bushes? In the country, you make a big pile and burn them when it's ok to do so. Here, you spend hours chopping them up into bits and putting them into the yard debris bin. Crazy waste of time. 2) You actually have MORE yard work in town. In the country, you choose a small area that is your "tamed" area and plant flowers or whatever. In town, you have to manicure the entire lot???? Can't be done. At least by me. We are working on ways to cut down the enormous amount of yard work the previous owner enjoyed doing. I like to work outside, but my food garden will always take my priority, so there's not enough of me to go around to the entire yard as well, the way it is now. And, in the country, Rob had a tractor, so did a lot of pushing things around and over with that--not so much hand work 3) In the country, we had frequent coyotes, foxes, hawks, wildcats and then the usual skunks and raccoons, all trying to get our chickens and eggs. The deer always tried to get the garden, so we had to put up a tall fence around it. Here, we just have a skunk that constantly is trying to get things off my covered porch and raccoons that occasionally wander through. There are also a bunch of cats that want to be here--even though I don't own a cat at this time. I'm afraid to get one, as it would probably wander off or get chased off by these other cats, and it would hurt Patsy's heart. In the country, we usually had a bunch of barn cats that just were always around--we would feed them, play with the kittens, etc. Our kids always had baby kitties to play with, but there was never a population overload, because of all the wild animals that were around. It was a bit more harsh, because there were so many predators around.

    There are so many more differences---I really love living in the country best. But, for now, this is where we are, and I'm getting adjusted nicely. The wonderful garden and shop helps us both. It's probably best that there isn't too much farm work to do. We physically could not handle it right now. Still, the country is where our hearts are--so we will see where life takes us next, in a few years. We may move out again, or we may stay right here. Only time will tell. Right now, I'm really enjoying the extra time I'm getting with my husband, and am loving being in close proximity with some of my extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten about all the time I spent chopping branches so they would fit in a trash bag. Our neighborhood did not have pickup for yard waste so it was all shoved into a plastic garbage bag. I knew it was not an environmentally friendly way to handle it, but there was not another option. There was no room in our small subdivision yard for a big, messy compost pile. Now that I have the space, we compost everything.

      There are so many things that are different between country and city lifestyles. I thought it would be fun to point out some of more unusual ones.

      Delete
  3. I love these but I live in the country and have never seen a stile gate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never lived in the country but I'm drawn to the forest here and take hikes as often as I can. I love the feeling of being out in the woods! Enjoy your weekend! Wish I could come visit you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could come and visit me also! We have plenty of food leftover from Thanksgiving and I would love to feed another person.

      Delete
    2. I could walk all around the country with you! Any lemon pie left? heehee

      Delete
    3. Not only is the lemon pie gone, but I had to make a chocolate fudge pie the next day. It was to appease Bill since he was less than impressed with the lemon. He said, "Nothing beats chocolate fudge, nothing."

      Delete