Friday, November 9, 2018

Scooter, Caught a Mole


We have trouble with moles digging in my flower bed, vegetable garden, and lawn. They look like rats with razor-sharp claws which makes them excellent excavators. They desire grubs, insects, and worms, but not plants; however, their desire causes us nothing but destruction via digging.  The tunnels are usually about 10 inches deep but when they come close to the surface, it creates a mound.  If you accidentally step on one it's easy to fall and twist an ankle. If you hit it with a mower, it creates a cloud of dust and might sling a rock or two.

Mound made by moles.
My yard is full of rocks so they either dig below or go around.  The soft soil in the vegetable garden is their favorite area (along with Scooters...).

Soil pushed up around the edges of a rock by a mole.
These monsters have torn our yard to pieces, uprooted vegetables, and killed many of my favorite flowers.  Over the years I have been desperate to find a solution.  There is so much worthless advice on the internet, I have decided to share what works and what doesn't.  


*Juicy Fruit chewing gum in the tunnel - it was supposed to cause choking but it only freshens their breath.
*Peanut butter - I don't know if it was to repel them or mire up their paws but it only attracted ants.
*Cayenne pepper - supposedly would burn their noses but in reality, didn't bother them.
*Dried blood - drove the rabbits away, but not moles.
*Both mole and rat poison repulsed them so they burrowed tunnel's around the pellets.  No matter where I poured it, they avoided it.
*Sprayed the ground with Dawn dishwashing liquid - it only cleaned my grass.
*Coffee grounds - didn't bother them but the caffeine made them dig faster.
*Mothballs - This was the worst.  I put them two inches apart in the tunnels and it made my garden stink!  The moles powered through the stench, but then my butterflies disappeared.  
*Grow plants that repel them such as castor beans or garlic - castor beans are deadly to humans and I have children visiting my garden - it was too risky.  As for garlic, it only works on vampires.
*Dog and human urine - I won't even discuss this one.


I became desperate and tried more drastic measures.
*Put the garden hose down the tunnels to drown the moles with water.  (Thank goodness we have cheap well water.)  The tunnels caved in and the yard became a mud puddle. They are fast diggers and always got away.
*Carbon dioxide poisoning - backed the car up to the flower bed and put a tube from the exhaust pipe down into the tunnels.  They scurried away, found a fresh air hole then returned the next day.
*Noise and vibrations were also suggested as deterrents - I put a radio under a metal washtub and turned the volume up loud.  Classical, Country, Rap, and even talk shows were blasted into the ground but the moles partied until the battery ran down.
*Grub killer - It's a poison that kills the grubs in hopes the moles will starve and move on to greener, grubbier pastures.  It was going to cost about $300 to treat my 2-acre yard.  They would probably have just eaten earthworms or other insects so I didn't waste the money.


*We purchased traps that were designed to kill them but they were rarely successful.  It was hard to know which tunnel was going to be used next.  They move from area to area looking for fresh bugs.  Sometimes it is months before they burrow again through a particular tunnel. The traps would stay in the ground and would be sprung by rain or vibrations. We wouldn't know it. 
*Place metal barriers under the ground - I dug a trench around part of my flower bed and buried a chicken wire fence.  The moles dug deeper, went under the fence, and then it began to rust.
*Sit quietly, watch the ground for movement then tiptoe over and start digging.  They can feel the vibrations of your steps so they stop digging when you approach.  It is possible to catch them if you have endless free time to sit and stare at dirt; however, the digging must match their lightning speed. Bill and the boys could dig fast enough to catch them as long as the moles didn't burrow under a rock or tree root. I never had enough speed.
*The most fun of all was shooting at the ground when the soil was moving.  Alas, our 22-caliber bullets never hit them because we couldn't see exactly where to aim.  We never tried a shotgun.

The only thing that has ever worked well at catching moles is SCOOTER!
He is fantastic. He loves to sniff, track, then suddenly pounce while digging as fast as possible. He bites them on the tail, jerks them out, and then gives a good shake. Slinging rocks and mud makes it more exciting.


This is one he caught, covered in slobber and blood.  Looks harmless but it is destructive.


Whenever Scooter catches one, I quickly rush into the house, grab food from whomever happens to be eating, (hamburger, steak, fried chicken, doesn't matter) pull it from their mouth and rush back to the yard.  He gets the privilege of devouring his special treat while gloating over his vanquished enemy.  After his victory dinner, he is treated to nonstop praise and hugs.  Later, when all the excitement is over, he gets dumped in the bathtub.


Then the victorious warrior basks in the sunlight and awaits the next invasion into his territory.


16 comments:

  1. Yea THE SCOOTER! I had a pup for 16 yrs. that was born to eradicate vermin, too! These pups are priceless! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. In France the fur of moles was much in demand in the years of 1920 to 1930. It was used for coats
    and particularly for hats. Top hats or Zylinder as we say in German. The fur has short hairs and no nap direction. (That would not be practical for an animal living under lawn and garden beds.)
    But as the fur of moles is not hard-wearing and durable, these products disappeared from the market and can be seen in museums nowadays.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that! Of course, I had to research it on the internet and see all the different styles. It is good to see there is at least one good thing has come from these animals other than destruction of my garden. They are a nuisance but most have disappeared since we got Scooter. Just one can cause much damage.

      Delete
  3. Good for Scooter! I had no idea moles were that small. For some reason, I always thought they were the size of a squirrel or larger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mounds are large so we thought the same thing until we caught the first one. We ponder how something so little can cause so much damage.

      Delete
  4. We've got them here too, and I've tried most of the same things, including castor plants. Yup, the dogs work better than anything else, though we still have far too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One mole is far too many to have. The only disadvantage to using a dog is that he must be bathed before he comes back inside the house. Washing off his feet does not work because he gets his face, chest and the top of his head all muddy; however, it is worth it to be rid of them.

      Delete
  5. We have both gophers and moles around here. My childhood was spent on a tree farm, where nuts and fruit were our crops. Those critters are destructive, so they were hunted ruthlessly. Needless to say, I've watched many of those methods being used, and also an equal amount of squirrel deterrents. My mother was amazing at setting a mole trap and catching lots to moles. She had it down to a science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish your Mom was around here so she could teach me the finer arts of mole slaying. My only knowledge choice is the internet...which is not very trustworthy.

      Delete
  6. I am laughing! Such a fun story!
    But seriously, moles and voles are so destructive. I have tried Juicy Fruit gum, too. And bought the battery powered thing that produces underground vibrations. I used to grow castor beans, but I don't think they helped either. Wish my dog was as energetic as Scooter to go after the moles!
    Looks like winter is here in full force now. Stay warm!
    Lea in north Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, it was down to 28 degrees last night so I know you are feeling it too. This is unusual for this time of the year. Whatever happened to Fall?

      Delete
  7. Ha! You had me giggling with this one! I've tried many of those techniques on moles, voles, chipmunks, and rabbits. Truly, the only thing that has worked long-term for any of these invading critters (for me) is lava rocks. They don't like to dig or walk on the lava rocks, and an added benefit is that the rocks prevent slug and earwig damage, too. Oh, and planting things that repel them, like Alliums. Good to know about the dog. We hope to adopt one soon, so maybe he/she will help me fight the garden intruders next spring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on adopting a new pooch soon. There are so many who are waiting for their forever home.

      I have four huge lava rocks in my flower bed which we brought when we moved here years ago. My husband was not thrilled when I asked him to lift them into the moving van. He said, "We have more rocks than you can imagine at the new house. Why take more?" I relied, "Because they are different." If I came home with a store bought bag of lava rocks, he might shoot me.

      Delete
  8. Super Scooter to the rescue!
    I loved your story, as well as the list of tips that do not work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried everything. I wonder if some of the suggestions were practical jokes, if so, I fell for all of them.

      Delete