Monday, February 25, 2019

TIMBEEEEEERRRRRR...Again!


Last February I shared how Bill cut down one of the horrible Bodock/Osage Orange trees in our field and why we hated them.  At that time, I said we have three more in the front yard that needs to go.  We finally got around to getting two lumberjacks to fell them for us.


We needed them to do what Bill can't do...


or won't do...


or refuses to do 50 feet up in the air with a churning chainsaw as he precariously balances on one foot.


They were huge trees and it would have cost between $1,500 to $2,000 to have each one removed.   All we wanted was to have them dropped because we can burn the wood ourselves.


The problem with us chopping them down is that two of them were close to power lines.  Knocking down our electrical line was not something we were willing to risk.  We needed someone who knew how to fell them without leaving us powerless.


The solution was a lumberjack team who was willing to tackle the job.  One worked up in the trees cutting branches while the other stayed on the ground.  The man below was responsible for keeping the chainsaw blades sharp.


He also tied ropes to the limbs and pulled to keep them from hitting the electrical lines.  If it was a huge branch, he tied the rope to the back of their pickup truck.


The tree climber wore a safety harness but I still held my breath as he waltzed around in the top of the trees swinging a chainsaw.  He told us he would cut each branch so it would fall a certain way and usually they did.  He has been doing this professionally for years and has only fallen once.  (Only ONCE!)  Anyway, it was still one time too many.


When he reached the tip top, he patiently paused for a photo. 


Our front yard looks like a tornado blew through.   



I consider it worthwhile especially since the tree with the creepy face on the side of its trunk that stared at me whenever I was working outside is gone.  I no longer feel like someone is watching me.  It didn't seem happy when the lumberjack was cutting it down.


No longer will Scooter and I step on thorns when we go to the flowerbed.  Bill won't need to constantly patch flat lawnmower tires whenever he mows.  There will also be quite a bit more sunshine in my flowerbed. 

We have already begun burning the wood.  Bill cuts it into small pieces and I go out during the day and throw logs on to keep the fire going.  


It's going to take a long time to burn all the wood since it's green and there is so much.  


We were making good progress until the rains blew in - now it won't stop pouring.  There won't be any pretty pictures of spring flowers posted this year.  All my free time will be spent raking up thorns, throwing wood on the fire, and repairing smashed flower beds; however, it's worth it to be rid of those annoying trees.

So this is my official 2019 spring flowerbed picture - a bit unconventional but I am pleased.


Additional Links:

Last year we cut down the Bodock/Osage Orange tree in the field beside the drive.

TIMBEEEEEERRRRRR!

12 comments:

  1. That looks like it made for some excitement. No way would I climb up there, especially with a chainsaw running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither would I, nor would Bill but the lumberjack shimmied on up. He said we had "small" trees compared to others he has cut down; however, he did moan when he noticed the were Bodock trees.

      Delete
  2. It amazes me to watch someone that truly is a lumberjack. My husband has a friend that does tree trimming and he is amazing at the work he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing and nerve wracking to watch him work. I dread when my youngest son Reese sees this post because he is going to want to become a lumberjack now. He is the one that loves to skydive.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea osage orange trees got so big. I've only seen ones that were more like shrubs around here. Wow! No thorns, and more sun to plant some things you do want in the front yard. Sounds like a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep dreaming of what I want to do in the flowerbed but it will be quite a bit of work getting it repaired. When the limbs fell, they did some damage. The stones in one of the paths are shoved deep into the ground and must all be dug back up. I didn't worry about it when they were working because it was more important to get the trees down safely.

      Delete
  4. I glad they are gone. Poor Scooter stepping on thorns. Great negotiating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stepped on one and limped for about three days. We kept checking his foot but couldn't find anything. We put the infrared light on his foot and it helped heal it quicker. He didn't like the light so we had to wait until he was asleep and carefully lay it on him then.

      Delete
  5. Lumbering is a back-breaking work and can be dangerous even with modern equipment.
    It is a pity that you cannot use the wood( when dried later)in an oven. I guess this sort of
    tree is not good for this purpose. But you could use the ashes as a fertilizer in your garden.
    Not for plants that need acid soil however.
    Anyway, you will be very glad when the work is done. The flowers will recover and it will be a
    sunny place.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother wants to use the wood to carve an ax handle. The wood is good for also making bows (as in bows and arrows) and other sturdy furniture. It won't rot and lasts forever. We have given him one log and will give him more when we see him again. It's hard to find any that are straight because the branches all twist.

      I want to use some of the stumps to hold flower pots but they are extremely heavy and hard to move because the wood is very solid.

      Delete
  6. Those trees! I'm so glad you have them down now. They have not been your friends!

    The one with a face looks like something out of the Lord Of The Rings. Scary:)

    Living in Oregon, felling trees is quite a common business around here. There are tree-trimming services that do nothing but go down the roads cutting trees out of power lines, cut down trees from people's yards, and so on. Then there are the ones who will timber your land, or large companies of loggers who work for the big companies, such as Warehouser. I am not one of those who shimmy up trees. I don't have those skills, I am amazed and awed by those who do have those skills.

    We have paid people to take dangerous trees down at our former property and we had our last property logged by a logging company, and we sold the timber. We've personally cut up cords beyond measure from leftovers from logging for firewood and I've stacked and chopped plenty. That's more my line. I actually love working in wood, when it's something I can do, like stack it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am VERY glad to have those trees gone! Well, they are almost gone. We have been trying to burn the wood but it won't stop raining. It is raining again today. We have made some progress and you can see my smashed flowerbeds appearing under the rubble. The perennials are beginning to poke their heads up and are surprised to see so much more sunshine. I really hated those thorn trees.

      Delete