Saturday, March 9, 2019

Amish, A Trip in the Rain


Last week was my regularly scheduled day to visit the local Amish community to buy fresh milk; however, there was a storm blowing in.  It had been raining for weeks, the ground was saturated, the weather report warned the storm would stall over our area, so everybody should stay home.  There is no way to reach my Amish friends to cancel our meeting other than writing a letter and it was too late for that.  If I am held up, they hitch their horse to the buggy, drive to the closest store and buy ice to cool down the milk.  Because it is extra work for them, I am never late nor miss my appointments.  I will be there as promised - Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise.


As I was driving, emergency warnings were beeping on my cell phone announcing road closures.  The flood waters were rising.


Even without a radio, the Amish folk realized staying inside was best but the horses were different.  This herd seemed to be captivated by the rushing water.


These drenched horses wouldn't turn around and walk through the wide-open barn door beside them.


This one decided to be naughty just like our horses.  He was taking advantage of the opportunity that his owner was not close by, smashed the fence and dined on the tender green grass on the other side.  Shame on him!


I was able to buy the milk (in the pouring rain) then began my long journey home.  The creeks started to overflow so the county road crews began closing the sidestreets.


Some roads were completely impassible so it was necessary for me to turn around.


By the time I arrived close to home, the flooding had become worse. I know this area well. The pavement only dips a few inches so I drove on through.


Next, I passed the area where water runs uphill in my neighborhood.  When I left in the morning, this is how the water looked in the creek running under the bridge.  It sits over the anti-gravity step-up vortex hidden deep underground.


A few hours later, it looked like this.  Even though it was flooded, the water continued to run uphill.


Uphill

Downhill
I turned around but all the other side roads were flooded.  Only people with trucks were able to pass. There are reasons people in the country love their pickup trucks - this is one of them.


I drove miles out of the way to the main highway and circled around to the other end of my road.  It felt good to finally see my mailbox.  Forget trying to get the mail.  I was just glad to be home.


"Welcome home Mom!" said a mud-covered Scooter.  "Isn't this weather adventuresome?  Every mud puddle needs to be splashed and explored.  Haven't you heard, mud facials get rid of wrinkles?  You might want to give it a try."

"Methinks I see a puddle I missed."
Additional Links:

No one believes me but this is proof water does run uphill.
Water Runs Uphill in my Neighborhood

Amish, Buying Fresh Milk

11 comments:

  1. How brave, and thoughtful, of you to make the trip even with the warnings, Jeannie! Your pictures are stunning. Please stay safe! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That flooding is bad! I'm glad you got home safely. It looks like your flooding can be quite dangerous. I hope you can stay home until it abates.

    I've had times in my life when we were confronted with flooding, as we live in a very rainy area of Oregon. Here's a funny story from one of those times. One time, years ago, over at the coast, the road was covered with water. We were going camping, and this was Hwy 101, the main highway that runs all the way along the coast from Washington to California, so it was the only route. Thankfully, it was shallow, and we pressed onward. Much to our surprise, we saw fins of fish sticking out of the shallow water that were swimming across the road in the flood water! It was a sight I've never forgotten. Thankfully, we got through fine, and had a great camping trip in our camper, I may add! Not a tent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you could have opened the door, reached down and grabbed a fish for dinner? A bit risky, I agree. If you had been blogging back then, you would have snapped a picture. Bloggers always have their camera close by.

      The rain stopped for a few days and yesterday we saw the sunshine! Bill and I sat in the swing in the front yard (while we were burning the wood from the Bodock trees) and just marveled at the beautiful weather - today it is cloudy again. The fire burned all night and I am getting ready to go back out and throw on more wood.

      Delete
    2. That would have been the most memorable dinner, for sure! I use my I-phone and I-pad for most of my pictures. I hope to get a real camera some day and learn to use it, but for now, one of those is always handy and so convenient. When I learn more about photography some day, I'm sure I'll be appalled with my pictures from this time period, but since I don't know any better, I'm very content with the ones I can take on those devices. At least for now:).

      Delete
    3. When I look back on my past posts is isn't my photography that appalls me but my grammar!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what a trip! I hope you didn't drive through that rushing water. Even a few inches can move a vehicle, at least that's what they say on tv all the time. How far did your Amish friends have to drive in the rain? Did you work out a system so you don't have to meet them in bad weather again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once, the TV is right - it is very dangerous. I did drive through a few places but only after watching someone else go through first. One place, a man in a pickup truck went first and told me which side of the road was safest. He also offered to wait to make sure I made it. I only drove through spots where I was familiar with the road. It can dip down deep, or be washed away, and you won't know it until too late.

      My Amish friends need to drive about one mile to the little convenience store. It isn't far to us, but is a long way for them especially since they have to go through the trouble of catching a horse, harnessing it, hitching it to the buggy and then undoing it all.

      I don't have a system for reaching them quickly unless I send a telegram. Only once have I been late arriving; it was a combination of extended work hours, bad traffic and lousy weather. A few times I have been able to phone and send one of my sons in my place. Considering I have been going for 5 (?) years now, it has worked out well so far. Since they are 50 miles away, sometimes the weather is bad here, but not there, or visa versus. I never know what I will encounter on the trip. I think it is worth the effort to give my family healthy food.

      Delete
  4. Driving 50 miles in these circumstances is truly no small undertaking ! Even when you are
    familiar with the roads. How will you use the milk you bought? Will you produce yoghurt, sour milk or cheese?
    Good to hear that the weather has changed now and warmer days with a bit of sunshine are here.
    Christel


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the doctor has me on this restricted diet, milk products are not something I can eat. I really miss it!!!! I protested when he took me off milk explaining I only drink the no chemicals, no antibiotic, grass fed, healthy fresh milk. But the doctor said it was the sugars in milk that I am having trouble digesting. I obeyed and now my health is improving and that is what matters. He said I will be able to return to dairy products in the future, but not now.

      I am making yogurt, dressings, desserts and using it in cooking. Dustin and Bill love it fresh but Bill's favorite is using the cream in his coffee. Since we don't use as much, I have changed my trips to every other week. During the winter months, the cows could only produce about 4 gallons a day. Now that it is spring the cows can produce 6 maybe 7 gallons a day, I will change and only go every third week. We just don't need as much right now. I have a large freezer and it will hold quite a bit.

      Delete
  5. WOW - the flooding....and how quickly the road conditions changed. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long and stressful day. I am glad it doesn't happen very often. It will probably stop raining and then we will have a drought this summer!

      Delete