Sunday, March 31, 2019

March's Garden (2019)


The winter garden is almost gone and it's time to begin planting for spring.


A few of the bolting plants will be allowed to make seeds but most have been eaten.  During the winter, I thought I had enough vegetables to last until the spring garden was in, but we are running out.  The garden must get bigger - quickly!  This is my bag of magic seeds.  Whenever anything bolts and I don't know what it is, I put them in this sandwich bag.  Seeds have been added and subtracted from this bag for about five years.


Bill plowed the very back area of the garden.  This section is hardly used because there are tall trees hanging over the fence. When they leaf out, it will be too dry and shady for most vegetables.  It will be fine for lettuce, cabbages, radishes, collards, mustard greens, and Chinese vegetables.  The magic seeds were thrown into the soil in hopes of a quick harvest; microgreens will be picked first, next a walking aisle will be harvested, then it will be thinned for salads. Who knows what will grow?  It will be a surprise. 


The naughty horse has been pushing against the garden fence again and has eaten all the grass she can reach.  Obviously, she didn't like garlic and avoided the plants left from last year's garden.   

Most of my gardening this month has been done in my laundry room.  


The window is facing north; there isn't enough light to grow anything but it's a good place to root plants. The lemongrass and sweet potatoes are sitting in cups of water in the window. The saved lemongrass cutting from last year's garden was forgotten and not watered - I had to buy new ones from the grocery store.  They are beginning to root.


This year I wanted to try something new so I bought five different kinds of sweet potatoes at grocery stores.  


I baked all of them for a taste test.  The biggest loser was Purple Stokes - nobody was impressed.


Jewel was the one everyone agreed was the sweetest.  Second place went to the Japanese Yam, which was white inside.  All agreed it tasted similar to a mildly sweet, mashed white potato.  Both winners are sitting in a cup of water in the window.  When they sprout vines, it will be time to move them to the bright sunshine on the front porch.


Most of my plants are started indoors.  These are 3-ounce plastic cups with a drainage hole drilled in the bottom.  I add Miracle Grow potting mix, a few seeds then a plastic spoon marked with the name.  The cups and spoons are reused.  


When a new package of seeds arrive in the mail, the necessary information is removed and placed with the seeds in a small plastic bag.  The small bags are sorted and placed into a larger bag.  I prefer a huge variety of fresh vegetables but not many of one thing unless it is to be canned for winter. The seeds are started according to which grows the slowest.  As I finish each category of seeds, the bag is transferred to the other basket to avoid confusion. This way is quick and easy.  Since I only use a few seeds of each variety, one package of seeds will last me years.  When I order seeds, it's always something new and exciting.  Almost everything purchased is an heirloom so I am able to save my favorites.  


The cups are placed on a heating pad to start germination.  It isn't an expensive growing mat, but a regular, cheap heating pad with the fabric cover removed.  I check the temperature using my canning thermometer. 


As soon as they sprout, the cups are moved to the front porch for sunshine.  I keep cold-sensitive plants like tomatoes and bell peppers together.  When the weather report says it is going to be cold (last night it dropped down to the lower 30's), that box is brought in for the night.  Since the cups have drainage holes, it's easy to fill the cardboard boxes (covered with plastic trash bags) with water from the outside faucet.  After all the plants are transplanted into the garden, the boxes are trashed.


Lessons learned from this past winter's garden:
*This winter was milder and wetter than years past, but anything outside the hoop house (except for fava beans, carrots, parsnips, and Walking Onions) still perished.
*Rotating crops is a necessity.  This year I didn't have any disease problems at all.
*I forgot to fertilize but since everything was a light feeder, they did fine.
*Planting lettuce and spinach between larger plants didn't work as well as expected.  It made weeding difficult - I hate to weed.  Mulching with leaves works better.  
*Winter gardening is catching on with people and seed catalogs are beginning to offer more varieties of cold hardy vegetable seeds.  I bought what I wanted before they sold out.
*Winter gardening is absolutely worth the effort.  When fresh vegetables are in short supply, it's a blessing to be able to walk out the backdoor and harvest all the exotic vegetables we want.  As I learn new recipes, we are eating more and more from the garden.  The next winter garden must be larger.  

"Oh, look at the pitiful plants left in Mom's pathetic garden.  It's so sad.  Hopefully, she won't post them on the internet and embarrass me."  Scooter opined.


If you are interested in growing your own winter garden, these links will help:
Winter Garden, Sunlight Hours
November's Garden (2019)
Additional Links:
Next Month's April Garden (2019)
Last Month's February Garden (2019)
Last Year's March Garden (2018)
March's Garden (2017)
Lemongrass Harvest

10 comments:

  1. I want to remember to check the links, just because it sounds interesting. I have not even had a summer garden the past few years. Had a lot of health issues between husband and myself. But I still get that itch, especially seeing posts like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I also have severe health issues. Gardening is my therapy and the vegetables I grow are my medicine.

      Delete
  2. The magic seeds in that bag remind me of a grab bag. You do not know what is in it and it will be
    a surprise when it will grow. (I know, you like surprises.) It also seems that your garden was not large enough even though your family is a bit smaller now. When I see all these cups with the many seeds, I think, your garden will now be twice as large as it was last year.
    I wish good growth for this large variety of vegetables and nothing but enjoyable surprises in
    your garden beds.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be overreacting because I had to buy fresh vegetables at the grocery store this past weekend (Joshua came to visit and I didn't have enough). The higher prices were shocking and I wasn't even looking at the premium organic vegetables. I am really spoiled to eating fresh food from the garden.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! I have lettuce I kept alive through the winter, and I started planting onions and radishes outdoors in February. Can hardly wait until time to plant okra, and set out tomato plants!
    Have you put out Hummingbird feeders? Those sweet little birds arrived here last week, and should be with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummingbirds! They are already on their way? Usually they do not arrive here until tax day, April 15th. If they arrived at your house last week, it means they are close to me. I will get my feeders up immediately. They are always starved when they arrive.

      Delete
  4. Look at all that lovely tilled-up dirt! We are a ways from that, because it has been raining a lot lately. Still, I was able to get outside this morning and work on my raised-bed strawberry plant project. Last time I was working on it, it snowed!!! The lovely, mild weather is back, and I'm at it again. I made real progress today, but did not finish.

    My seeds are not coming up well this year. Rob suspects that our heating mat is no longer working properly. Things wear out. We will not give up hope quite yet, but a lot of them have been in the dirt about 2 weeks with no sign of a sprout:(. Some are up, though, so we are not giving up hope entirely just yet. The worst thing that can happen is that I might have to buy some starts. I might fuss a bit, but it would not be the end of the world. Some things are beyond my control:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is perfect outside now and I am yearning to be in the garden, but have been stuck inside. The two big recliners we ordered six weeks ago arrived yesterday. We visited every furniture store for miles around and Bill found they one that was the most comfortable for his hip. I have been cleaning walls, waxing floors and moving furniture. Poor Dustin. We moved furniture in the living room all day long yesterday. The room has four doors, two windows, stairs, a large fireplace and a built-in entertainment center (I don't watch tv (it's boring) so I use the entertainment center to hold my canning jars). I waxed the floor while Bill and Scooter were outside and then locked the front door. He was quite shocked when he had to knock and saw me in the kitchen shaking my head "no". That's what back doors are for.

      Today I will finish the last strip of floor I didn't get to last night due to exhaustion, then will clean up the mess I left in the rest of the house where I moved stuff to make room for the deliverymen. After all of that then I can go outside to work except the weatherman says it is going to rain.

      Delete
  5. Good grief!!! I guess you are tired:). I'm glad you were able to do all that and be ready for the recliners! I hope the recliner helps Bill's hip so he's more comfortable. I have to confess, I've never waxed a floor in my life. It sounds hard. Good job for doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady who built this house wanted it to look "authentic." She did things to make it appear to be an old farmhouse even though it was new. I think that's the reason it stayed on the market so long, people are leery of the maintenance required to live in a 100 year old house. The hardwood floors were not polyurethaned but just waxed, the way it was done in the olden days. They are beautiful but difficult to maintain.

      Bill sat down in his new chair and melted. Within a few minutes he fell sound asleep. It was worth all the effort.

      Delete