Thursday, April 25, 2019

A Fence Climbing Turtle


You read that right - a turtle that climbs fences.  As I arrived home from running errands today, I spied him on the fence.  He had already climbed half-way up.


Yesterday Bill caught him slowly racing toward my flower bed. Since he is a dangerous snapping turtle and not allowed close to Scooter, he was placed over the other fence in the safe and empty field beside our house.  He wasn't happy about the forced move.


Neither was he happy about me taking his picture.  Hiding inside his shell after spotting the camera was such a lame move.


He disappeared while I was getting Bill so I don't know if he made it to the top or not.   Something tells me we haven't seen the last of this determined turtle.


He returns again the next year and becomes lost in the garden.

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, - never before I had seen a picture like that! To me this kind of turtle looks a bit like a monster. Anyway this one was quite sporting. It must have been a great challenge for this
    animal. I wonder why he wanted to do this climbing. After I read on Wikipedia about snapping
    turtles, I know why these animals and Scooter cannot be friends to each other.

    Christel


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have never seen anything like it before either which is why I slammed on the car brakes, jumped out and quickly took a picture! At first I thought it was tangled up in the fence but it was fine. He/she was trying to get through the opening of the fence but the shell was too wide. He managed to get down and disappear quickly because we couldn't find him anywhere.

      Delete
  2. That is crazy. Keep him away from poor Scooter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marybeth, I thought the same thing also but evidently we are wrong! Reese (son #3) called Sunday and asked about our news. I told him we had a turtle climb the fence in the front yard. He wasn't impressed. Said when he lived at home, he would look out his upstairs bedroom window and see them climbing up - no big deal.

      Does nothing impress him?????

      Delete
  3. I have never seen anything like that! I do wonder where it ended up at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care where he is as long as he isn't in my yard! It will probably show back up in the fall going in the opposite direction.

      Delete