Friday, May 10, 2019

Four-Leaf Clover Tea


Everyone has a unique skill, something at which they excel and can beat all others.  My special skill is finding four-leaf clovers.  It is tacky to brag, I know.  If there is a four-leaf clover anywhere in the yard, I can find it.


I can even find them side by side.


Whenever I snatch one from the ground, I will gleefully show it to Bill expecting a joyful celebration.  That never happens.  "Instead of finding four-leaf clovers, why can't you find dropped one hundred dollar bills?" he always asks.





I managed to find a 4 1/2 leaf clover...


And a 5 leaf clover...


It is hard to believe, but this humble plant which is trampled underfoot daily is a  goldmine of nutrition.  It's a legume that is rich in protein, has multiple medicinal benefits, and the whole plant is edible.  Historically it was used to purify and cleanse the blood plus fight fevers and colds.  Surprisingly, white and red clover offers different benefits.  Red clover is used medicinally more often.  White clover has spread around the world and it covers my lawn.


I wanted to know why bees, livestock, and rabbits love these blooms.  It must be delicious.  Harvesting a fresh handful and steeping it for a cup of tea was easy.  However, if drinking grass is an acquired taste, then I need to do some acquiring.  It tasted like medicine and was not my cup of tea.

My plan is to stick with searching for four-leaf clovers in hopes of improving my fortune.


"Finding four-leaf clovers is easy." said Scooter.  "Just stick your nose in the dirt and sniff."



"Mom," said Scooter. "You don't need any more good luck because you are the most blessed person in the world.  You have me."


HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Additional Links:

18 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you! I rarely find four-leaf clovers. I've never tried the tea. And Scooter is right. :) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recommend the tea for flavor, but it's great for medicine. If you do try it, let me know what you think.

      Scooter read your comment over my shoulder and said he is always right.

      Delete
  2. How interesting! Now I want to find some (non-pesticide sprayed) clover to make the tea with! And Scooter is soooooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now, how do you find all that luck? I think I’ll pass on the tea. I especially love the way red clover looks and I made a lovely bouquet of pink clover the other day. Maybe I should look harder for those elusive four leaves. Hugs to Scooter and happy mother’s day to you. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am usually good at finding 4-leaf clovers, too....but now that I have said that I will probably never find another one. LOL As proof that I have, visit this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed your link and you are a great four/five leaf finder! We should start a club and have clover finding contests. New members would be required to present a four-leaf clover before they could enter the club house.

      Delete
  5. ps...hope you had a happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the best day. Two of my boys were at home and the third called so we could have a family conversation. Any day I can cook for my boys is a good day.

      Delete
  6. Maybe you should keep some rabbits as they love to eat clover. But too much of it is not good for them.
    I am afraid, Scooter would be jealous.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a few wild rabbits living in the weeds in the neighbor's field. They will slip over into our yard before sunset and Scooter is not very hospitable. He seems to think it is his responsibility to chase them back into the weeds. I suppose it is his job since I am not going to run after them.

      Delete
  7. We have a lot of clover here, too - love their blooms!
    And today (the 15th of each month) is Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens. Come join in the fun!
    https://www.maydreamsgardens.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder! I have been so busy with the garden that I have neglected reading my favorite blogs. I just joined the linkup to enjoy all the fun.

      Delete
  8. Hello again!
    As a last resort for those Begonias - plop those pots down outside in the shade, and tell them that is their last chance, sink or swim! If you have a shady porch, put them there. Also check to see if the pots have good drainage. They could be too wet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drainage might me the problem. They are in the original pots which are sitting in a plastic covering. I assume it was packaged that way so they won't be messy when given as a gift. First, I will remove the plastic and put them on something that will let them drain. Houseplants are something I have never been good at growing.

      Delete
  9. Impressive! I could never fine one and you find a jillion of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you dry enough before make tea? A lot of tea grass have taste as medicine if they are not died.
    I often find four-leaf clovers. But after first cut of grass they stop to appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blooms were fresh which could explain why the flavor was not very good. I liked red clover tea but it was dried when I steeped it. Maybe that's the difference. I think I will try drying it and see how the flavor changes. Thanks for the information.

      Delete