Friday, August 23, 2019

Whimsical Road Signs


Watching the road as I drive is not something at which I excel, as anyone who has ever ridden with me will attest.  Why watch the road when there are so many other interesting things to see?  Such as crazy street names.  Have you ever wondered (I have often) why a road is named what it is?

For example, Forrest Fields Drive - is it a forest or a field?  Is it a forest full of fields or a field full of forests?  It can't be both. Whoever named this street was quite confused and so is everyone else who sees it.


Wouldn't it be fun to live on this road?  Imagine every time you order something online and tell the clerk your address, "I live on Lover's Lane."  The jokes would never stop.


Other places that would elicit a chuckle.



Since when do pigs go to school?  I have heard they are the smartest animals in the barnyard so this might be the reason.


A bank should open a branch on this street! 


I expected but didn't see any drug dealers loitering on this corner.


Due West Avenue is close to where I grew up.  I, nor any of the other local yokels thought it an odd name.  Once while giving directions I heard myself say, "Go east on Due West."  The lost person questioned, "Is that possible?"


Aren't the humble and meek suppose to inherit the earth?  Since when is being humble a dead end?  Jesus might disagree with this sign.


First, I drove past a Long Road.


Then there was a Short Avenue.


To prove it was short, I took a picture.  Not only is this road tiny, but it is also boring.  

Dull and boring
 A place to be avoided.


We should move here because I love my morning coffee.  Instead of a land flowing with milk and honey, I would choose a creek branch flowing with coffee.


Other places for an impressive address.


If I could choose among all the roads I have passed this year, this would be my favorite.


11 comments:

  1. Love the amusing tour of road signs! My sister lives in a community called Pleasant Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell your sister I am moving to her neighborhood. Plants must grow better there!

      Delete
  2. I love these...I keep meaning to photograph the more outstanding names, but never seem to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, put that camera in your car and have your husband act as lookout for people that don't want to stop behind you. When you pause to look around, the world is fascinating. Pausing is the hard part.

      Delete
  3. This is a great post. I found myself chuckling out loud. Yes, I often wonder why certain roads have specific names. It's very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, that is a collection of unusual names. But surely there are certain reasons why these streets have been given these names. Maybe there was a cheese dairy in Cheese Road in former
    times. Streets in smaller towns called High Street are often shopping streets. I would not mind
    living on Cheese Street, but it is no funny for the residents to live on Lovers Lane.
    The word PIGG in Pigg Schoolhouse Road could be an abbreviation for a name or an institution.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you are doing what I do as I drive, asking myself why then wondering the reason as to how something came to be named what it is. The history in your land (Germany) goes back hundreds, if not a thousand years. Here, in rural southern middle Tennessee in deep backwoods, I am sure I have stepped in places where only a few men have ever walked. Of course, that was in my younger days when I could climb a steep hill without assistance. I did enjoy the solitude.

      Delete
  5. I love these. When my husband worked out of town, I used to drive to visit him, taking the less traveled roads. I always laughed when I passed two roads, one after the other: Hambone Road and Butterbean Road. Someone was hungry when they named those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! It would make me hungry if I happened to see it. I love butterbeans!

      Delete
  6. Patsy and I loved this post and laughed out heads off. You find such interesting things. By the way, I finally saw an interesting mailbox in our city. They seem scarce here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting mailboxes seem to be in places where there aren't any strict building codes. I don't see them in big cities either. Country people are able to be more creative because they aren't worried about getting a ticket from the Home Owners Association.

      Looks like the street names might become an annual post. Today we passed a road named (I am not making this up) "Square Round."

      Delete