Thursday, September 5, 2019

A Precious Hummingbird


The hummingbirds returned this year, brought more friends, and have been rowdy as ever.


However, we have had some problems.  Someone or something has been knocking the feeders off the pole during the night.  Every morning all would be empty and we would need to search for them under the deck.  We ended up bringing them inside after dark to avoid more damage and broken parts.


Since I wasn't sure how long the feeders would hold together, I drug an old one out of the basement.  They don't care for it and only use it when the other two feeders are being refilled.


There isn't a resting perch and one must stand while dining - no leisurely slurping.  After I put this unpopular feeder on the handrail, the other feeders were never again knocked to the ground.


The mystery remained unsolved until one morning when the unpopular feeder was empty, I caught the thief in the act.  Woody Woodpecker was hanging upside down flapping his wings, wildly rocking the hanging feeder and sloshing sugar water on the deck.   

Who are you falsely accusing?
Even though the hummers don't care for this feeder, Woody loves it.



He indulges often and shares his plunder with Chip his partner in crime.


Chip Off of the Old Block, learned by watching Woody and guzzles the sugary syrup too.  At least it won't give them cavities.


This past week, a ruffled little hummingbird arrived and captivated my attention.  He arrived early one morning.



Even though there was quite a big commotion around the feeder, this little bird sat perfectly still, focusing on the feeder and not moving at all.



It didn't matter what excitement was happening this little bird didn't move.  Then I realized something was wrong.


Very wrong.


A naughty bird poked but he didn't move.


At this point, I realized it was sick and couldn't move.  My heart began to break.  Confused and weak, it was sitting beside the food source trying to gain strength and comfort.  


Then a flock of bullies arrived. They started pecking, pulling feathers and knocked him off the perch.  That was the reason his feathers were ruffled and ragged, from being beaten and punched so much.


He was frail and the other birds would not leave him alone.  It is nature and how birds behave, but it was painful to watch.  I tiptoed outside, slipped the feeder off the hook and carefully carried it with the little bird clutched tightly into my laundry room.  I moved so slowly he didn't notice the scenery was changing.  Once inside, I gently set it on the floor, closed the door and left him alone.  It was quiet, calm, cool and a safe place where no one could bother him.  All afternoon we peeped in hoping for an improvement but instead, he slowly declined.


There isn't much I can do to change this brutal world, but at least I can help a sick little hummingbird die in peace.

An Additional Hummingbird Link
Feathered Neighbors

Also shared on I'd Rather B' Birdin'

17 comments:

  1. I love woodpeckers, but never realized that they would eat out of a hummingbird feeder. These are great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I open my kitchen window over the sink a few inches and stick the camera outside. As long as I am still, they come right up to me. Hanging out a window beats washing dishes any day.

      Delete
  2. What a very kind thing to do. I had problems earlier this summer with something knocking off and chewing big pieces out of my feeders. I assume raccoons or maybe possums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thought it was possums also until we saw Woody helping himself. He has already broken one feeder and the other one is barely holding together. I am willing to share, but not if he is dumping the syrup everywhere.

      Delete
  3. That's sad about the little sick hummingbird! I know it's the way of nature but we are both soft hearted! And how funny that the big woodpecker likes the sweet nectar! We always had to bring ours in at night because of critters wanting to drink the sugar water. You got amazing hummingbird photos! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to fight back the tears and then felt ridiculous for crying over a little bird. He was so pitiful.

      Delete
  4. Observing wildlife gives us pleasant moments. But we also know that nature has its own rules.
    Survival of the fittest. It seems cruel to us how the other birds act.
    So you did a good deed to give this poor bird a sheltered room where it could spend the last hours.
    The photos were very interesting for me, as we do not have these birds in our country.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fascinating to watch and I wish you had them there. Although, I am getting tired of constantly filling the feeders. They are ravenous!

      Delete
  5. Oh, this breaks my heart....I know it is just a little bird but oh, so hate to see one suffer. so glad you could bring it in and let it have a bit of piece at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It broke my heart and ruined my day. Bill had to handle the "remains". He always gets the hard jobs.

      Delete
  6. Aw, poor little guy. Birds always seem to know and pick on the ones with a problem. There is a bird sanctuary near me and they have remarkable success with hurt and sick birds.

    We have had mostly brown colored hummers this summer, but lately there have been a few green ones so I figure they are migrating. It's so funny that the regulars hover near the window when the feeder is empty. I guess they know where the sugar water comes from.

    I had no ideas woodpeckers liked the sweet nectar. Do the hummers come around when the woodpecker is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hummers have no fear of the woodpeckers and get upset when one appears. They buzz all around the woodpecker, dive bombing and threatening. The woodpeckers completely ignore them, just as they would ignore a honey bee and continue enjoying the nectar. They don't like me and if they see the slightest movement through a window, they are gone. I suppose it is because I have run outside and yelled when they pecked the siding on the house. Inside it sounds like a jackhammer echoing through the rooms.

      Delete
  7. Hummingbirds are my all time favorite. Sad about the little one that died. Nature can be hard and cruel, but also very beautiful. I love watching them at the feeders. This was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the little sick Hummingbird. So glad you gave it shelter from the other birds so it could die in peace.
    On Friday morning we had a whole flock of new Hummingbirds at our feeders - 15 or so! They buzzed around for a couple of hours in a feeding frenzy, and then they were gone. Migrants on their way south, I think.
    How fun to watch Woodpeckers enjoying the nectar! I knew they drank tree sap, but never thought they would visit hummingbird feeders.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The migrants flew through here also. For a week or so, I was filling up my feeders three times a day! That gets tiring.

      Delete
  9. I always become tearful when nature becomes cruel. But on the lighter side you gave us some exceptional wonders today!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and joining us at I'd Rather B Birdin this week...it's always appreciated. And I hope you can share more with us again, soon.

    ReplyDelete