Sunday, September 22, 2019

Summer Sunflowers


It seems I have received complaints about my writing from two of my most loyal readers.


My mother and brother were not happy with the ending of my hummingbird post.  I am in the dog house.  So to keep peace in the family, these are some of the cheery sunflowers blooming around town.  Nothing can be sad about sunflowers, right?

 


This is the empty lot behind Walmart.  Year-round it is covered in thorns, thistles, and weeds, but for a while during the summer, it becomes awash with color from self-planted sunflowers. 



This field is located deep in the country on a backroad only a few travel.  Every year sunflowers surround a cornfield.  I asked the elderly farmer if he planted them to multiply beneficial insects, improve pollination, and raise the harvest yields of his corn.  "Nope," he replied to me.  "Planted them 'cause they're pretty."




Even Lowes has sunflowers.


This single sunflower was growing up against a car shed in an unkempt yard.


On the uppermost bloom sat a ravenous small bird enjoying the seeds.


After he had devoured those on top, he flipped upside down and continued eating.  That means he could swallow up.


When I stepped back, I noticed something horrifying beside the sunflower.  


The homeowners who had planted and nurtured the cheerful sunflower had recently lost their period home.  It had caught fire, burned to the ground and perished.  All that was left was the lonely, sad sunflower.


 It appears I can't write anything with a happy ending.  Guess I'm not out of the dog house yet.

Additional Links

11 comments:

  1. That is one smart bird. Hope everyone is OK from the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still loved the post...and I think I would qualify as a loyal reader....loved all those sunflowers. They are one of my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is a mix and happy and sad. You're doing a fantastic job noticing the little things. Thanks for the pretty sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful sunflowers! They've been gorgeous here in the Upper Midwest this summer, too! Love the upside-down goldfinch--smart little one. I hadn't read your hummingbird post--that was very sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping someone would identify the little bird for me - goldfinch. Thanks

      Sorry to ruin your day with the hummingbird post. It ruined my day too.

      Delete
  5. Those are some giant sunflowers! I've seen them grown by farmers around here too. That goldfinch looked like an experienced sunflower harvester. It is sad about that house, but maybe it was empty when it burned and no one lost anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Maybe it was empty at the time of the fire. I don't know because it was down a side street that I don't ever use except that we were turning around (lost again). It had to be devastating no matter what and it is sad when an older home is destroyed. Always a bit of history that has vanished.

      Delete
  6. When I had seen the pictures of these magnificent sunflowers, my first thought was sunflower oil.
    This oil is so versatile for the fine cuisine and has an harmonious flavour. It is not as
    dominant as olive oil. Aldi sells a good organic sunflower oil here.
    Sunflowers mean that fall has come.
    Christel
    Christeln

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my Aldis sold sunflower oil. I like to use it and olive oil because I can be sure it is not Genetically Modified (GMO). GMO food are EXTREMELY unhealthy and sadly to say, it is still legal to sell them here in America. Europe has banned them so you are blessed in Germany to not have to deal with our nightmare. Soybean, Canola, Corn, Cottonseed, and Sugar Beet oils have all been genetically modified. I avoid them as much as possible.

      Delete
  7. Sunflowers just make you smile. I think the last shot is a statement to find happy in adversity and despite what life throws our way we have to keep on.

    ReplyDelete