Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Locked Down No More! Columbia, Tennessee


We are free! The Chinese Coronavirus lockdown has been lifted for my area of Tennessee!  We celebrated by taking a drive to see if there was any life outside of our world.  First stop, Dollar General Store where we found the shelves stocked with a package of toilet paper; since it is back, the crisis must be over.


We drove around looking for anything opened and ended up in Columbia, Tennessee. Many businesses have not reopened but Ted's Sporting Goods was doing a brisk business. 


The sign is always upside down.


Around the corner was a grand opening of a "non-essential" store so it was "essential" for us to go shopping.


There was nothing in this store I needed but everything I wanted. Why would any brainless, government bureaucrat consider this business "non-essential?"  Wandering around was so refreshing.  Everyone social distanced and was careful to not get close.  

  

Columbia is the mule capital of the world and every year they celebrate at the Mule Day festival, which, of course, was canceled this year. City folk might be laughing but that is only because they haven't known any mules personally.  They are intelligent animals who work harder than many of my previous co-workers.




After blowing all of my allowance, we stopped by the home of James K. Polk, 11th U.S. President who was from Columbia.  




It had not reopened yet. 





It is time for the world to start revolving again. Mom is in the assisted living facility in Nashville and is still locked down. She is bored but it is the safest place for her. Two of my dearest friends have caught the virus and I'm concerned.  It isn't something anyone would want to catch. Will it return in the Fall?  Probably.  But now the doctors know better how to treat it and are discovering more each day; hopefully, by then, they will have a cure.

As for me, on our first day out, I did what I have been wanting to do for three months - I went to Walmart and got a hair cut!  Try not to scream when you see the before picture.

Before

Afterward, I think I look like a bank robber.

After - Bank Robber

10 comments:

  1. Ha! They also have Mule Days in Eastern NC, in Benson. We've driven through during it, but have never stopped. It's fun to see all the mules and carriages on the streets. I do miss going thrifting. I hope you found some good treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for this lockdown to end so I can get some rest. I have about worked myself to death getting the garden out and doing maintenance projects around the house. Our washing machine broke, flooded the laundry room and the garage below. The new one from Lowes didn't work, neither did the second new one so we are on our way back to Columbia tonight to buy yet another one!

      Delete
  2. Oh your hair cut looks great! I know I sure need one but I'll probably wait awhile for that. I would love to get out and go to that neat shop where we 'need' everything....oh and Ted's! What fun to get out and see interesting things...and take pics to share! Great mask too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the only person in the shop and had to wear the mask the whole time. It was worth the effort to get it cut. I told her to go short because I don't want to go back again until it is necessary. Bill likes Teds but I am bored there. I liked this neat shop but Bill was bored.

      Delete
  3. I have to wait till June 10th for my haircut...so I am jealous. I am so ready to go to some shops like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Bill if I couldn't have gotten it cut soon, he was going to have to get the lawnmower out and cut it for me!

      Delete
  4. It is good when many people do some shopping in these days to give a fill to the economy.
    Worldwide so many people have lost their jobs and must now begin a new start in life.
    Mule day? As I had no idea about the meaning of this festival, I checked out on the web.
    So I found out that this event is of great importance in Columbia.
    Are mules raised for riding?
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be ridden like a horse but mostly they are used to pull wagons or other heavy equipment. They are powerful animals. I have seen their owners work them in the field by calling commands to them from a distance away. They knew their owner's voice and their ears would perk up and turn toward them. I was impressed.

      Delete
  5. Your hair looks great! I'm waiting a little bit to get mine done...we are being very cautious about getting out and about, since we are around several who are so immune compromised, not to mention the fact that if my husband should happen to catch Covid19, he would have to postpone his surgery again--not what we want!

    I agree with wanting to get some rest from the garden. I've loving that amount of work I'm doing out there, and the fact I can do some, rest, repeat. It's seriously the best garden I've ever had, and I told Rob there was no way I could keep this level up in a year without a pandemic. I'm so happy to be able to grow so much! But, today, I did school all day with Jake, my nephew, and Patsy, my daughter. She's finished for the year. This is for next year, but we both wanted to just sit and still feel productive. Jake is still finishing up what they keep sending him from the public school, modified for him. I'm SO tired! So, I hear you.

    Glad to see that t.p. is back in your area. Such a large supply:).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right to be cautious - it isn't worth the risk to Rob. People have been courteous and careful about not getting close, which is a relief. When I speak to people I have learned to tell them I'm smiling behind my mask because I look so scary.

    My vegetable garden is also doing better than ever because usually at this time I am working long hours and the weeds get out of control. Bill and Dustin have been helping me and that has made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete