Wednesday, August 12, 2020

An Irritating Expectant Mother and Her Family


As I walked to the shed to get my garden tools to begin working in the garden, I noticed Scooter acting oddly.  He was on high alert sniffing around the rat hole in the door.  That behavior is a sure sign something is amiss. Carefully opening the door, (living in the country means anything can be inside), I was startled and jumped back screaming.


Out flew the irritating expectant mother inches above my head!  Every year she returns to outsmart me and build a nest in the most inconvenient spot she can find. This year she chose my shed and built on top of my gardening tools.  It seems none of the flower pots nor Dustin's workboots on the front porch met her high standards for homebuilding.  There was no way to get my tools without disturbing her Highness so it required a trip to the hardware store to buy more. 


For the next few weeks, she will own our shed and we will be second class citizens.  The door will stay shut and our tools will be left outside in the rain.


Scooter and I slowly backed out the door and we returned to the house.  As we started climbing the back steps, I noticed something new under the deck on the support beam.


We slipped over for a closer look and discovered the irritating expectant mother is now a grandmother!


The next generation has wisely chosen an out of the way place under the deck which won't disrupt my lifestyle.  These tenants appear to be more accommodating. 

Maybe there will be less irritation in my life.  Feeling positive, we continued up the stairs and then realized something else was wrong. Scooter began tracking again. Something nefarious has been sneaking around on the deck.


Sniff, sniff, sniff.


Oh no! Another hungry squatter.



I think I am doomed to always be irritated.

The story of her arrival

7 comments:

  1. It sure can be irritating but the baby birds are really precious! That looks like the big Fox Squirrel too. We haven't seen one around here for months! Enjoy your day! Buy more tools! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and I agree it is a fox squirrel, never knew what they were called. If you are in need of one, I will be glad to ship you some pudgy ones full of bird food.

      Delete
  2. Life in the country! Dang squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so jealous the first squatter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you are welcomed to come live in my shed and eat the bugs that are swarming my garden!

      Delete
  4. These birds are intelligent. That is why they decide to raise their families on your estate.
    where it is peaceful and where they find enough food for the young birds. So take that as a
    compliment. A few more small garden tools are not so bad. Then you will always have one when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So being called a "bird-brain" is now a compliment? If someone says that to me I will thank them and not get insulted.

      I never have enough small hand tools because they disappear and then suddenly appear again under something.

      Delete