Monday, November 30, 2020

November's Garden (2020)


The winter garden looks sad and forlorn.  It was a mad rush to get the seedlings planted, the hoop houses up and except for harvesting, it has since been neglected.  My time has been spent on other projects and helping Bill recover from his surgery. 

There are ten houses - more than any previous year and they are bursting at the seams.  



This was the last area planted and was an afterthought.  Everything was used and no supplies were left.  It is made from discarded bent fencing with leftover bits of hoop house fabric tossed over the top.  This was all I could find after scrounging around in the junky shed. A package of assorted lettuces was planted under it.  This will provide many winter salads and could be done by anyone with a little bit of soil.



The front row beside the yard has varieties that won't make it through the winter and the back row is the assorted unknown greens. 
 

The front row hasn't been weeded or mulched because the vegetables will be picked before harsh January weather arrives.



The suspicious trailer sitting beside the shed covered in a blue tarp that keeps appearing in the background of these pictures is a load of horse manure.  It was a gracious gift from the horse trainer who is pasturing his horses in our field.  He brought it to me after they cleaned out their stalls.  I am thrilled! It is slowly being spread over the garden to decompose over the winter.  My garden has been pushed to produce and the soil is being depleted.  This is exactly what it needs.


It exudes a zesty aroma.

The rest of the garden looks like a jungle when the covers are removed.  It has been a thrill touring non-gardening friends this month.  The shock on their faces when they round the corner of the house and see the garden is priceless.




The great potato experiment continues.  Those that sprouted under the hoop houses are still alive but those out in the open died after the second hard frost.  When these die, I will dig them to see if there are any potatoes below.


The Conquistador Celery that tasted horrible all spring and summer actually changed flavor after the first few frosts and is now edible. Who knew!  The stalks have grown big and thick and are scrumptious with pimento cheese. 



The Tronchuda Kales have decided to bolt.  It is a disappointment but to see a flower blooming this time of the year is a pleasant surprise.  They will be tossed into salads.


Today something strange happened while I was picking dinner.  A small possum came from the woods, squeezed through the fence, and climbed into the compost pile.  They are nocturnal animals who are rarely seen during the daylight so it was a surprise to see one closeby.  As I walked toward the compost pile to dump a bucket of leaves, it didn't run but froze. 


When I was a few feet away, I realized his left ear was missing and the left side of his head was injured.  Since we don't have any livestock it could kill, I decided to let him enjoy my rotten pumpkins.  Everybody deserves a feast of Thanksgiving leftovers.


21 comments:

  1. Your garden must have the perfect soil for greens! WOW! They grow so big and lush. That's interesting about the celery too. Sounds good right now...I like grated cheddar cheese with mayo on top. And how nice of you to feed the neighbors! heehee! What a strange little critter! Take care and tell your hubby to get well quick! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to tell the truth, I don't care for the cheese and celery treat but Bill and Dustin do. Dustin made me add that comment about it being scrumptious (his word, not mine. I couldn't spell it) when he was checking my grammar. Since he caught a (really quite a few) mistakes, I owed him one.

      Delete
  2. So many green vegetables in November ! This is amazing. So all your extra garden work you had
    in this year was worth while. Enough for many delicious meals to enjoy.
    Horse manure is a special "treat" for your garden beds. It also heats up the soil and therefore
    it accelerates the growth of plants. Better than any other fertilizer you could buy.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the work has paid off, not like last year when it never rained. We are enjoying the fresh greens every day and they are delicious.

      The manure is also mixed with cedar shavings from a local pencil factory. They do not have any chemicals or are treated in anyway. No chemicals are allowed in the horse stables - that pleases me tremendously. We are spreading it over the unused areas right now but can't put it under the hoop houses. The manure is too fresh. At least half of the garden will get covered. Scooter is not allowed in the garden anymore because he walks right through all of it.

      The trainer is happy to bring it to me because he has more than he knows what to do with (32 horses). My plan is to also put it in the flowerbed in the front yard. All of my soil is in need of improvement.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the possum appreciated your kindness. I bet your garden does surprise people. It looks amazing, and will provide so many meals. And boy, with the addition of the horse manure, I can only imagine. I hope Bill continues to feel better every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shock to people. No one ever realizes a winter garden is possible or that the rewards are better than a summer garden. Right now the houses are closed down tight. It snowed last night and dropped to 28 degrees. It is COLD! I picked a laundry basket full of different things the day before yesterday anticipating this weather. The refrigerator is full right now.

      Bill needs all the fresh vegetables he can get to help his healing. His appetite is gone and so what little he eats must be the best. Every day is better than the one before.

      Delete
    2. He will certainly get a super serving of vitimultimins from your home grown greens - hope he is soon back to fit and feisty.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful to have veggies to pick in November. Enjoy. We have had a mixture of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks amazing and your vegetables are so healthy! Your manure will make your garden even more productive. Hurray I managed to get in my blog to sort it out - it all start going wrong after they updated things! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What type of wire are your hoops made of? Is it something you bent yourself, or something you bought that half circle shape? I would love to try one small hoop house in my garden! I figure I should be able to grow close to the same as you, here in Chattanooga. And what fabric are you covering the hoops with??? I have some collards that are still going well. I wonder if I should cover them, and if they would last longer that way. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start with this post to know what to do and then follow the links at the bottom:
      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2016/12/decembers-garden-giant-cover-up.html

      This link is an evaluation of that year's garden:
      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2017/03/winter-garden-2016-2017-evaluation.html

      These links give all the answers except for the problem of short pins. Use the 12 inch landscaping pins; do paint them a crazy color so you can find them and shop around because the prices vary tremendously.

      Yes! Cover your collards so they can last long into the winter. At this point, just try a white bed sheet and prop it up with anything to keep the fabric off of the leaves. If the leaf touches the fabric, it might get frozen. The covering will make all the difference in the world. It is like you wearing a windbreaker thin coat on a cold day. A little protection goes a long way. The protection keeps the plants from becoming too tough and they stay a bit more tender. You can leave one plant out of the covering so you can see the difference it will make.

      After you have read the past posts, I know you will have many more questions. Ask me because I would love it if you try winter gardening.

      Delete
  7. Here, the wind would take the covers and blow them over to Illinois! Not much of an exaggeration. I wonder if stuff would survive here. I would weight the edges of the cover down with 2 x 4's or something. But I don't think anything could survive. I should do research cause I am curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, you can grow vegetables way up north. What matters is that you plant the right varieties, ones that love the harsh weather and give them some protection from the harsh wind. I have lots of information on my site. Start with this post and follow the links at the bottom of the page:
      http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2017/03/winter-garden-2016-2017-evaluation.html

      If you really want to learn more from someone that is further north than I am, check out "Mother of A Hubbard, winter garden."
      http://www.motherofahubbard.com/winter-vegetable-planting-dates/

      I would love to see you try something.

      Delete
  8. Wow your veggies are doing so well. I may need to put covering over my salad crop :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little bit of protection makes all the difference. It grows better and the leaves are more tender. If you only cover part of the vegetables, you can see the difference it makes.

      Delete
  9. Of course, I love this gardening post, as usual! I love seeing all those greens bursting out of your beds. I can see that yours are more completely enclosed than ours is. I left the end open on ours, to see if the air circulation was necessary because I really haven't done it before. I can peek in there and I do see that the boc choi and winter lettuce is growing slowly. It's pretty cold and the days are getting shorter and shorter, but, who knows? Maybe they will start growing when things perk up. Worth a try.

    I do have my celery in the garden and some kale that is usable..... sad and sorry celery, I might mention. I picked some and it is mostly leaves, which I used in soup. They did give the celery flavor. I notice I'm willing to make do with some things I might just pass over in the past, because I'm trying to stay out of the stores as much as possible due to the recent uptick in the Covid cases here. We've just finished a 2-week "freeze" but they still want everyone to limit their trips as much as they can. We are not eager to catch it as we have more than one close family member who would likely not be able to fight it off if we carried the virus to them.

    Rob started a few lettuce plants in the unheated greenhouse we have, and we are thinking it's growing well enough that we actually might get a few meals from there. It's growing pretty slowly, but is growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am interested in the performance of your hoop houses being open on the ends. Plastic heats up quickly here and it gets hot even on cold days. I tried plastic first (years ago) and was having to go out every day to open it up so the plants wouldn't burn during the day and freeze at night. Next year I will need to buy more of the covering and might try something different. I wonder if it grows faster with the clear plastic as opposed to the fabric?

      Delete
  10. Your garden looks wonderful! I’m sure the possum is thankful for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looked so pitiful with only one ear. I didn't have the heart to run him off. He can eat all the rotten stuff from the compost pile he wants!

      Delete
  11. I wanted to come by and wish you aand your family Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose for thinking of us. It has been a hard month but the worst is over.

      Delete