Saturday, November 28, 2020

Not Our Traditional Thanksgiving Celebration

 Thanksgiving Eve's Lunch

There is nothing normal about 2020 so why should we expect Thanksgiving to be traditional either?  Bill chose to take a day off work the day before Thanksgiving so we could spend time together at an exclusive, expensive, health-improvement resort.  Upon arrival, we were presented with a welcome basket full of goodies to make our stay more enjoyable: a toothbrush, tissues, lotions, antiseptic wipes, his and her's barf bags, and a urinal.


Since no small detail was overlooked, the staff also gifted Bill these lovely, putrid-neon-yellow, non-skid fuzzy socks and even placed them on his feet as he reclined in bed.  Their attention to his every comfort was impeccable.  He was also dressed in a breezy gown although modesty prevents me from sharing any pictures due to its risque fashion style.  Bill did reveal more skin than is appropriate in polite company; however, the well-trained staff courteously appeared to not notice.


For dinner, the maitre de offered to prepare Bill anything from a fine selection of entrees.  Being a man with a classically American palette and preference for uncomplicated dishes with hearty substance, he wanted nothing exotic or fancy (even though it was included in the exorbitant price of the room) but instead chose his favorite cuisine - a hamburger.  He said it was delicious.


He slept like a baby when not being awakened every few minutes by the attentive staff.  His every need was anticipated, all vital signs closely monitored, he only had to push a button and a highly trained professional would arrive immediately.  The service was flawless.  


Two years ago Bill received a stem cell treatment for his deteriorating hip joint.  It improved for a while then began to regress.  It had reached the point where walking was too painful, almost impossible so he chose to have a hip replacement.  It is now an outpatient operation and he went home the same day!!!!! The physical therapist helped him walk after he awoke from surgery and then in the evening taught him how to climb stairs. After he passed the step test, we were free to go home.

A surgeon, with the help of a robot, implanted a new right hip.  We were presented with a parts list as we were leaving.


Joshua came home and together with Dustin helped their Dad get out of the car, lay down in bed, sit in a chair, and walk.  He must walk a little every hour to keep scar tissues from forming. It has been excruciatingly painful.


This year, I am thankful my husband is alive, that we live in a country with excellent health care, and my sons are compassionate enough to even put socks on their dad's feet.  We hope for the impossible, that Bill can move once again without severe pain and that next year's Thanksgiving be much better.  

Previous year's Thanksgiving celebrations

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I've been keeping you and Bill in my prayers. Sending wishes that every day gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie, we need the prayers. It has been a horrible weekend.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear. At first, I fell for the story, but I caught on pretty fast. I'm glad Bill is OK, and I hope the recovery will go very well. Prayers and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when this is over we will take a real vacation!

      Delete
  3. Boy, you and everyone else on the non-traditional stuff... but I'm so glad that Husband is taking steps toward healing. (You can smack me later, Jeannie -- I know. That was rude.)

    Best wishes to both of you. Happy Thanksgiving, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cindy, you aren't rude! You made me laugh. My sons love puns and often try to outdo each other. I can never think of any.

      Thanksgiving is over. That makes me happy!

      Delete
  4. Thankful you are both on THIS side of things! Praying for quick recovery and many PAIN FREE days ahead! My dear friend had this surgery done a year ago, and is delighted every day now to be completely pain free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pain and discomfort is finally lessening. The exhaustion is still there but at least he can sleep for more than an hour or two. He is getting better slowly but I have to remind myself it has only been five days since the surgery - that is nothing; however, it feels like it has been forever.
      This afternoon I was able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

      Thank you for your prayers.

      Delete
  5. My dad had both hips replaced, about 2 years apart. It was wonderful, finally seeing him strolling around the big yard at their house in the country, moving freely again. I hope it isn't long before you get to see your husband doing that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JD. My hope is for that also. I can't imagine anyone going through this twice! Once has been bad enough. It has been five years since he has been able to do anything without hurting. I can't imagine him walking around freely again. He is improving every day and even though he can't see it, I can. Thank you for the encouragement.

      Delete
  6. Oh Jeannie! I see that your day was different indeed. I'll keep your husband in my prayers and hope he heals quickly and regains his strength. You have a good family and I love hearing how you help each other. That's a lot to be thankful for! Take care...both of you! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thank you for the prayers. He is improving some everyday. This morning he put his shoes on without any assistance and was so pleased. He used a yardstick as a shoehorn so he wouldn't wake me. We (me) take the little things for granted - just being able to walk across the room is priceless.

      I do hope you find out what is causing your headaches. Take care of yourself. Good health is worth everything.

      Delete
    2. Those little step by steps, such grateful milestones!

      Delete
  7. Sorry your Thanksgiving was not as normal. Hope Bill is making a good recovery and the operation is a success. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, a Thanksgiving to remember! I hope he recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Rose! It is a Thanksgiving to forget!

      Today he seems to have turned a corner and the improvements are big! I left for the dentist and when I returned, he had washed the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen! Of course, me leaving out a big frozen container of hamburger meat to thaw did encourage him to get the kitchen ready for me to cook dinner. I will cook hamburgers every day if it gives him that much energy...but he did overdo it and is very tired tonight.

      Delete
  9. Jeannie,
    Today, I was standing in front of the fireplace when it suddenly struck me that Bill must have had his surgery. So, this evening, I looked this blog up, and he has! From reading the comments, I see that he had a little harder time than Rob did with his recovery. I'm so sorry! I was hoping it would not be that way. I will say they kept Rob overnight when he had his, and they had him up and walking several times, plus p.t. a few times before he got to go home, and I thought THAT was fast! So, for Bill to get out the same day....Amazing! I was saying today as we walked for a mile, how wonderful it was--a year ago Rob could never have walked even a 1/4 mile! So, hopefully, lots of pain-free walking is in Bill's future soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been difficult. He doesn't regret coming home early because he rested much better in is own bed. Having Joshua and Dustin here to lift him out of his chair and bed made all the difference. I couldn't have done it without them and he would have needed to stay another night in the hospital If I had been alone. He didn't have a choice though, the surgery had to be done or he would be going into a wheelchair. The worst is behind us. He is doing better every day and I can see the improvements. I am so glad it is over!

      We look at each other now and say, what do we want to do with our lives now?

      Delete