Monday, February 15, 2021

Everybody is Home

It was two wonderful weeks.  For the first time, all three of my sons were able to coordinate their vacations. There is nothing I enjoy more than feeding my chickadees and they love nothing more than being fed.

Well? What do you think? Which recipe is the best?

Reese arrived home from North Carolina and quickly flew out of Nashville for a job interview in Ft. Myers, Florida.  A haircut was necessary.

Come on Mom.  Don't be old fashioned. Maybe they won't notice.

As he was rushing to catch his plane, I asked him to pose for a picture.  This expression is one I see most often - irritation.  A smile was not offered.

"Always dress your best for a job interview." I nagged. "No one will know you forgot your clothes and are wearing your brother's."

The interview went great - the air flights didn't.  The first landing hit hard, but walking away is all that matters.  On the return trip, he was repeatedly directed to the wrong terminals, the flight was delayed, delayed, and delayed again until he spent the night in the airport. I asked him to send me a selfie so we could remember his trip.  This is what he texted.


I complained and asked for another picture - one with his cute face.  This is what he texted next.


At 6:00 am the next morning, he flew out of Ft. Myers, Florida, was routed to O'Hare, Chicago, Illinois, and was sent back south to Nashville, Tennessee.  (Didn't make sense to him either but at least he finally made it home). It was worth the effort.  He received an offer from the company in Florida and then a counter-offer from his present job when they saw his "job-interview-haircut." (He disagrees but that is what I think.) We are waiting to hear what Reese will decide.  I am fine either way since neither job is close to home. 

Joshua arrived home next and vacation-time began.  


It was time for everyone to rest and recoup.


Not my idea of light fun reading.


They rearranged the living room and linked their favorite video game, Space Engineers.  It is lego for grownups.  Together they built spaceships and space stations in outer space.

After we kicked the teeth in on the capital ship, no one has bothered us.

On this trip, they decided to hack into the game and rewrite the program so the game will play itself (it isn't something you are supposed to do).  Their goal was to completely automate it. They tried to tell me it was fun.  I was not convinced. 

Joshua, you have what you have always wanted - a planet without hydrogen.

While their game was playing itself, Reese taught his brothers how to make spaghetti.  They already knew how to mess up the kitchen. 





There was more flour on his shirt and the floor than in the pasta.


During this visit, they added a new activity. Belegarth foam sword fighting in the front yard.

My Viking warrior is ready for battle.

I said, "Play nice and don't break your Dad's new hip. We are still paying the bill and don't own it yet."  I was ignored.


I said, "Play nice, and don't kill your brother."  I was ignored.


I said, "Play nice and be gentle with your youngest brother." I was ignored.


Baby brother was aggressive...


and didn't hesitate to attack first.


I was told baby brother doesn't work at a desk (like everyone else), walks 13 miles a day during the peak season at his job (which is why he was asking for more money), and so, never got winded or broke a sweat. I decided to ignore me too.    

Whew!

The time together flew by too quickly.  Everyone is back at work now and hopefully, we will be able to do this again someday.  

"I agree with Reese.  Haircuts are over-rated.  I got one and didn't even need it for a job interview," said Scooter.  "It always turns cold afterward."

Brrrrrrr.
Other exciting visits.
A Wonderful Weekend

7 comments:

  1. Happy you had them all in place at one time. I love that you call them my chickadees. My Mom used to call me the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the expression "My little chickadee" is what W.C. Fields called Mae West back in the day. I should call them my "big strutting roosters" but chickadee sounds more motherly.

      Delete
  2. My respect goes to Reese! He had made perfect spaghetti with his (Italian?) machine. And he even has a rack for drying pasta.I bet, these spaghetti were better than any shop bought pasta. I also prefer my
    home made pasta. And it even is fun to make them with this machine, isn´t it.
    As to long hair, - haidressers in Germany will not reopen until March,1 because of the Corona Lockdown.
    Public life in very limited here. We all hope for better times.
    Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He ordered it from Amazon so I checked his account and it is an Italian made Marcato, Atlas 150 pasta machine (and it was pricey!) We (the family) order things on his account so he earns the points and can spend them as he chooses. As long as he makes me spaghetti, I am happy. There is no comparison in flavor between store-bought and homemade.

      The hairdressers have been open here for a long time but he likes his hair long. It covers the back of his neck and keeps the sun in the greenhouse from causing sunburns. I tell him to wear a hat but he said it gets knocked off when he walks under the pipes. I guess now he will have to wear a hat come warm weather.

      Delete
  3. Yeah for you having all your chicks in one next once again. That happens far too seldom. I always dread haircuts in winter, but can never completely skip one....even if I try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I agree with you on the "light, fun reading." The haircut and the pasta look great. LOL. And you have some talented actors in your brood. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them so much and it will be a long time before we are all together again. They have already discussed coordinating next year's vacations but that is a long time away.

      Delete